Newish Trader need info

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Site Managers, Forum Moderators

Post Reply
Johncolter
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 am

Newish Trader need info

Post by Johncolter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm pretty new to the game, been playing about 2 weeks and love it so much I upgraded to all expansion paid account the 3rd day.

I fell in love with the Trader Profession after toying around with a few of them at start. My trader is now level 57 on RK2. There are a few questions I have in regards to my trader, the answers will in no way sway me to NOT be one, because I'm sticking with it through the pain, so be as brutally blunt and honest as you can.

#1 At higher levels I would like to tradeskill, ALOT. If that means giving up effectiveness in pvp then I'm fine with it. But I was wondering if I will have enough IP at 220 to be able to up all the tradeskills, accept Pharma and Psychology, and still have the IP for shotgun, TimeSpace, Psymod, Comp lit, Treatment and BodyDec/Nanopool + abilities maxxed, maybe some in Sense IMp and Bio met for heals and charms (hopefully maxable)?
Basically Can I spend 90% of my time Tradeskilling but still be able to be a support member in a group during pvm when the need arises?

#2 I am having trouble understanding higher level weapons, at the moment I figured out from reading how to stack my drains and I equiped a Kor'whatever shotgun (the alien one), its got good damage, but is that what I should be using?

#3 Are there any 220 shotguns that only use Shotgun skill that would be decent for me to use instead of putting points into aimed shot and fling shot? I don't want to dual wield, so a shotgun that requires 2 hands would be perfect.


#4 I understand this Barter armor I hear about is good for froob traders at higher levels, would it be worth getting for a paid player or should I just wait until I can get my grubby hands on some of this OFAB i have been hearing so much about. Even so, Its it usefull for tradeskilling too? So I could have a set of Barter that I put on that will booste my tradeskill stats when i'm lounging around making stuff? Any armor suggestions would be awesome too! I could use some tips.

#5 I've been reading alot of the guides and I notice that Engineer's are normally the ones saught after for the tradeskilling, do people look for traders too or will I have to rely on some marketing in OOC chat to make myself known that I am a crafter?

#6 Does the playerbase nowadays still need crafted items? Either or I still will be a crafter, even if it involves selling jive to the trade shop, Ijust enjoy making stuff. Any and everything.


#7 My perk setup that I have planed from Auno, would like any feedback on it:
Accumulator -10 pts.
Nano Doctorate- 7 pts.
Shotgun Mastery- 10 pts.
Enhance DNA- 10 pts.
Genius- 2 pts.
Cartographer 1 pt. (For easy access to RK from SL)

AI perks
Volunteer- 10 pts.
Alien Tech Expertise- 3 pts (not sure what this does, so any info would be appreciated, just was told to get all 3 from a friendly player).
Champion of Light Artillary- 7 pts.
Champion of Nano Combat- 10 pts.

LE research I was planning on maxing or do you have a limited amount of them you can research? Or can you get all 6 to level 10.

Sorry this is so long, The game is challenging which is what I like, I don't play for graphics, they are very nice to me anyways. Any feedback would be awesome from any experienced players out there.

Thanks ahead of time
Johncolter lvl57 Trader RK2

User avatar
Scene
AOU Community Legend
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:43 am
Location: Devon, UK

Post by Scene » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:59 pm

#3...

There are a couple of Endgame shotties you might like to look at:

Scoped Salabim Supremo
Vektor ND Grand Wyrm

Both require AI Expansion


#4...

Barter seems a bit dead now imo since the introduction of Miy's, and if you are any good at twinking its possible to get on miy's armor with better better than OFAB stats pre TL6

This is what my trader was wearing at lvl 165ish (started lvling him again) - http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=100320

User avatar
Niodemus
AOU Content Editor
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:40 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Newish Trader need info

Post by Niodemus » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:50 pm

First of I think I have to state that I do not have a high level trader (anymore). So some of the answers might sound incomplete and you may want to read at the Trader Professional Boards.
However I'll try to answer them as complete as my knowledge allows.
Johncolter wrote:#1 At higher levels I would like to tradeskill, ALOT. If that means giving up effectiveness in pvp then I'm fine with it. But I was wondering if I will have enough IP at 220 to be able to up all the tradeskills, accept Pharma and Psychology, and still have the IP for shotgun, TimeSpace, Psymod, Comp lit, Treatment and BodyDec/Nanopool + abilities maxxed, maybe some in Sense IMp and Bio met for heals and charms (hopefully maxable)?
Basically Can I spend 90% of my time Tradeskilling but still be able to be a support member in a group during pvm when the need arises?
Basicly you shouldn't focus on tradeskilling too early. That's not only limited to Traders.. every tradeskiller like Engineer & Fixer (the only other outstanding TSer) has too many more important skills to be effective at the leveling part of the game.
A usual level when people start tinkering reasonable is from 120/130 on, a point when you have highest possible skill for the according title level and got enough spare IPs (improvement points).
That doesn't mean you should skip the Trade & Repair section, you will need enough Computer Literacy (CL) for your NCUs and higher selling benefit. Talking about selling... find the next Trader shop and sell to it only, at those you get highest profit for all items you want to sell - and don't need of course.
Also Nano Programming might be usefull for you, but do not focus on that skill too much as long as you have other skills which need more attention.
I believe Trader are only the 2nd best tradeskilling class - might be wrong at that though... but seriously think Engineers get more supportive gear for tinkering.... this should not lead you to stop thinking about TSing, it's more a "just to let you know" ;)
Johncolter wrote:#2 I am having trouble understanding higher level weapons, at the moment I figured out from reading how to stack my drains and I equiped a Kor'whatever shotgun (the alien one), its got good damage, but is that what I should be using?
The Kyr'Ozch Shotguns are quite good weapons, especially at your level. There are also the Salabim (mentioned by Scene already), which are crafted ... apparently we are missing that guide, so look at the AOTS guide to it. The Salabims start... I think at QL1.
Other popular Shotguns are Fine Smith Shatterguns, Uncle Bazzits and actually even the Ofab Silverbacks which require LE.
Still the Kyr'Ozch is not bad, the others might be interesting to you though.
Johncolter wrote:#3 Are there any 220 shotguns that only use Shotgun skill that would be decent for me to use instead of putting points into aimed shot and fling shot? I don't want to dual wield, so a shotgun that requires 2 hands would be perfect.
Shotguns without Flingshot are not really popular, but for the start you can go without fling... or find one with rather low flingshot requirements.
Else... well take Scene's advise.
Johncolter wrote:#4 I understand this Barter armor I hear about is good for froob traders at higher levels, would it be worth getting for a paid player or should I just wait until I can get my grubby hands on some of this OFAB i have been hearing so much about. Even so, Its it usefull for tradeskilling too? So I could have a set of Barter that I put on that will booste my tradeskill stats when i'm lounging around making stuff? Any armor suggestions would be awesome too! I could use some tips.
I would refer to answer to question #1. However... when you want the tradeskills Barter is a possibility during TSing, for leveling I'd suggest to find some Miy's like Scene already stated. I'm not sure whether it's worth the hassle to look for Trader Tier armor (guides in our Shadowlands guide section) - I would guess no.
Johncolter wrote:#5 I've been reading alot of the guides and I notice that Engineer's are normally the ones saught after for the tradeskilling, do people look for traders too or will I have to rely on some marketing in OOC chat to make myself known that I am a crafter?
Even most Engis are not TSer anymore. But finding a TS Engi is easier than finding a TS Trader, so you would need to offer TS services for the start.
Johncolter wrote:#6 Does the playerbase nowadays still need crafted items? Either or I still will be a crafter, even if it involves selling jive to the trade shop, Ijust enjoy making stuff. Any and everything.
Certain armor, weapons and gadgets are still crafted and require a competent TSer. Mainly boiling down to AI armor/weapons. And some gadgets... still requiring higher skills.
Additional I believe the market for nano crafting is still active - basicly many QL 125+ nanos come only as ID .. or more often.
Johncolter wrote:LE research I was planning on maxing or do you have a limited amount of them you can research? Or can you get all 6 to level 10.
LE research has usually 7 lines with 10 levels to put XP/SK into. And you can research all 70 topics - be aware of level requirements to start the research though.

Hope the answers help you somewhat. Feel free to ask further questions.
At the perk setups I can't help you much since I haven't played my trader for a too long time to know good settings.

Regards
Nio

User avatar
Scene
AOU Community Legend
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:43 am
Location: Devon, UK

Post by Scene » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Kyr Shotties are by far the best full expansion weapons to go for before you can equip a salabim supremo imo, this is due to the fact that the recharge of the salabim only hits the same as the kyr @ QL300, and the dmg is more or less the same pre 300. The only other oprion is going Silverback, but if you are wanting to spend IP in TSing you'll want to avoid AS.

Traders are a sort of YODA prof.... you either TS or don't, there is no in between - sry for the star wars ref :). IE: wanna pvp don't bother with IPing any TS skills apart from CL / wannna TS: ignore AS/Perception/Conceal... "Do or do not... there is no try"

Tonopa
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:53 pm

Re: Newish Trader need info

Post by Tonopa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:20 am

#3 shotguns that only use Shotgun skill.
Mudurlugu
Shotgun of Security
Vektor ND Shotgun


#4 Any armor suggestions would be awesome too! I could use some tips.
Apocalypse Leather Armor
Veil of the Revoked
HUD Upgrade: Enhanced Target Acquisition



#6 Does the playerbase nowadays still need crafted items? Either or I still will be a crafter, even if it involves selling jive to the trade shop, I just enjoy making stuff. Any and everything.

QL200 Treatment library 4m/5m and they sell out fast
QL200 Implant Disassembly Clinic 5/6m
QL50 Perrenium weapons sell for 4m/5m no problem
Crat only coffee makers sell for 5m easy
QL200 Robot Brain sell for 3m

User avatar
Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator
Posts: 3453
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:32 am
Location: North-East England

Re: Newish Trader need info

Post by Snakebite » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 pm

I've not read the answers yet, so bare with me...
Johncolter wrote:#1 At higher levels I would like to tradeskill, ALOT. If that means giving up effectiveness in pvp then I'm fine with it. But I was wondering if I will have enough IP at 220 to be able to up all the tradeskills, accept Pharma and Psychology, and still have the IP for shotgun, TimeSpace, Psymod, Comp lit, Treatment and BodyDec/Nanopool + abilities maxxed, maybe some in Sense IMp and Bio met for heals and charms (hopefully maxable)?
Basically Can I spend 90% of my time Tradeskilling but still be able to be a support member in a group during pvm when the need arises?
First thing to say is, do NOT touch your tradeskills till you're at least lvl150, if you need stuff making, get someone else to do it, we're pretty relaxed on Rimor (clan side anyway) about free tradeskilling. Basicaly, if you put IP into tradeskilling too early, you're going to gimp yourself, concentrate on getting as many drains usable (whilst stacking) as possible...
Next is, Traders SHOULD have a slightly easier time with tradeskilling than Engis, as an engi, I have a lot of dark blue tradeskills, which is a bit of a bugger, but I believe there's more tradeskill buffing items for Engis, either way, Traders CAN do top end tradeskilling with no worries.
Yes you will tradeoff some PvP & possibly even PvM abilities, but I enjoy my slightly gimped 220 Engi tradeskiller... ^^
Johncolter wrote:#2 I am having trouble understanding higher level weapons, at the moment I figured out from reading how to stack my drains and I equiped a Kor'whatever shotgun (the alien one), its got good damage, but is that what I should be using?
Easy answer here, don't worry about high end weapons till you need them, by then you will know what you need to know!
You might also wish to check out the 'Krutt Assault 219 Fandango' range of shotguns, easily twinked on with your drains & an outside wrangle & a VERY high crit chance, it's pants in the Shadowlands because of it's minimum damage, but then team members will be more interested in your umbral wrangle & other buffs than your damage at lower levels.
Johncolter wrote:#3 Are there any 220 shotguns that only use Shotgun skill that would be decent for me to use instead of putting points into aimed shot and fling shot? I don't want to dual wield, so a shotgun that requires 2 hands would be perfect.
Dunno, still in the 'Krutt Assault 219 Fandango' stage lol.
Johncolter wrote:#4 I understand this Barter armor I hear about is good for froob traders at higher levels, would it be worth getting for a paid player or should I just wait until I can get my grubby hands on some of this OFAB i have been hearing so much about. Even so, Its it usefull for tradeskilling too? So I could have a set of Barter that I put on that will booste my tradeskill stats when i'm lounging around making stuff? Any armor suggestions would be awesome too! I could use some tips.
To be honest, you can do a lot worse than Carbonum armor... cheap, chearful & tradeskillable in MANY qualities up to 200.
Johncolter wrote:#5 I've been reading alot of the guides and I notice that Engineer's are normally the ones saught after for the tradeskilling, do people look for traders too or will I have to rely on some marketing in OOC chat to make myself known that I am a crafter?
From what I can tell from my Engi, people DO look for Engis for tradeskilling more, but there has always been tradeskilling Traders around, there must be a reason lol.
Johncolter wrote:#6 Does the playerbase nowadays still need crafted items? Either or I still will be a crafter, even if it involves selling jive to the trade shop, Ijust enjoy making stuff. Any and everything.
Yes, there are literaly thousands of tradeskillable items, you'll soon learn what the main ones are, as far as I know, there's no real 'tradeskill & dump in the terminal' options, Anarchy doesn't work like that...
Johncolter wrote:#7 My perk setup that I have planed from Auno, would like any feedback on it:
Accumulator -10 pts.
Nano Doctorate- 7 pts.
Shotgun Mastery- 10 pts.
Enhance DNA- 10 pts.
Genius- 2 pts.
Cartographer 1 pt. (For easy access to RK from SL)

AI perks
Volunteer- 10 pts.
Alien Tech Expertise- 3 pts (not sure what this does, so any info would be appreciated, just was told to get all 3 from a friendly player).
Champion of Light Artillary- 7 pts.
Champion of Nano Combat- 10 pts.

LE research I was planning on maxing or do you have a limited amount of them you can research? Or can you get all 6 to level 10.
Not a clue about your perks, but keeping your research maxed is a good idea, stops the grind later on lol.
Image
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Post Reply