Where to get Notum Chips and/or Fragments?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

bikernoj

Where to get Notum Chips and/or Fragments?

Post by bikernoj » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:33 pm

Hey, I started a froob engineer just to see what it was like, and it's pretty fun. However, I'm trying to get parts to upgrade my solar pistols and I can't seem to get my hands on any notum chips or fragments (I have lots of pellets, though).

Where can i get CHIPS or FRAGMENTS? Who or what do I kill, what is a good place to go, or where should my mission sliders be to get some of these? i.e. "Go to coordinates X by Y and farm from Creature Z" would be a big help!

Thanks

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:20 pm

I get most, if not all, of my notum from Medusas. You can find them in missions or out in the wild.

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:50 pm

neutral aligned enforcers (sluggers I think tey are called) seemed to drop the chips quite frequently in missions, when I was token farming

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Notum is bizzare in the fact that its really common and yet so rare.

It can drop almost everywhere but drops almost no where when you want it.

Medusa's are a good choice for it though if your high enough, if not any monsters tend to have a higher gem/notum drop rate.

Unfortunatly farming backyard leets does not result in high enough chips for the pistol as I found out a long long time ago ><

thisnametaken

Post by thisnametaken » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:17 pm

notum chips are not nodrop so you could probly buy them from other players

bikernoj

Thanks

Post by bikernoj » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Well, one problem with medusas is I have never seen one; not even my lvl 54 Fixer has seen one (and he's my highest), so I'm deducing that Medusas are off limits for now. :)

I've tried killing tons of monsters on missions with all my toons, with no luck. I just need to do the first solar pistol upgrade, and have parts to do ~QL20 to 25 Tinkers, so simply buying the notum seems easiest at the moment.

However, other than spur-of-the-moment trades, I have yet to learn how to use any "buying channels" that I've seen. Is there a certain place I need to go or something special in-game I need to do? My Eng has plenty of carbon rocks to trade in many QLs, or my Fix has the creds to pay, either way. So where and how to buy?

I just want to upgrade my Eng's pistols before he levels past their usefulness! :)

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 pm

If you press SHIFT C you can get up your chat config panel. You can then use that to select to view the shopping channels in the chat window of your choice.

On the channel type a simple.. Looking to buy QL XXX Notum Fragments / Chips. how much you are willing to pay and how many etc might be a good idea..

Otherwise, if you say which dimension you are on in this thread someone might be able to just give you a couple of pieces depending on how many you need :D

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 pm

Which server are you on?
What's your engis name?
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

bikernoj

... cont'd

Post by bikernoj » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:27 pm

My engi's name is Solderblob, and he lives on the Atlantean server. At the moment he's looking for QL 25-ish notum to make Tinker pistols.

In an ironic note, my FIX alt has been finding notum out the ears right after my original post! Since he's lvl 56, it's all been QL50+ though (I'm sure it will come in handy later, but it doesn't help make a Tinker pistol, does it?).

I'll put out a call to see if I can't buy some QL22-28 notum (thanks for the tip!), and hope that a few thou creds each shouldn't be too hard to swallow. Worst case, my FIX can loan the ENG some money... :)

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Cant you use it at higher level like that? :)

bikernoj

Post by bikernoj » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:42 pm

I don't know if Tinkers just need a MINIMUM QL, or if anything higher will work; I haven't explored it yet. I suspect that using a much higher QL notum will be more of an IP sink than I'd like, but I don't know yet.

I just handed off some higher QL notum to my ENG last night, but was having a blast with my FIX's new gamma ejector (happy happy, joy joy! :D )and haven't toyed around with it yet...

bikernoj

need right QL :(

Post by bikernoj » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:28 pm

I just tried a QL44 notum frag on a QL22 Unstable Pres System, and it's a no go. Turns out I need to be in the QL "window" like most everything else, unfortunately. :cry:

So I tried posting on the shopping channels, and helpbot brought up a link to the Atlantean Market page; the unfortunate thing is that to USE it, one has to enable all kinds of ads, cookies, and other unknown crap that I simply will not tolerate, so it's useless to me.

Maybe I'll get a bite on my shopping requests...

Scoopx
AOU Reporter

Post by Scoopx » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Rule of thumb for engineering...... items added to base item must be +/- 15% quality of base item quality.... for example building a 100 QL implant, clusters need to be a minimum of QL 85 and no more than 115 to get best result.....
And now You know!

Roger "Scoopx" Johnson
Cub-Reporter for Rubi-Ka Times
Neutral Division
[img]http://www.scene-and-heard.com/ao/sigs/sig_scoopx.jpg[/img]

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Bad example, there is no upper limit for clusters in implants... lvl200 cluster, lvl3 implant, makes, an implant ^^
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:21 pm

With a bit of delay...

You can get notum chips/fragments in right ql change:
- as mission rewards (if you have toon in right ql range)
- as drops from dyna bosses (I'd recomend Omni Forest for that)

Another option would be that you ask some paying player to check shops, but that would probably cost you at least 100k (estimate for chip/fragment alone, since I don't play anymore).

Judging on levels of your chars, you must be fairly new player. Having a tradeskiller now won't be easy (since you're in poor position which item is a "keeper" and which plain junk), but you'll also be able to learn faster about game.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians