Chat with NPC Warden Ystanes

Old threads for viewing only

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Chat with NPC Warden Ystanes

Post by Windguaerd » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:11 am

Warden Ystanes nods as you come closer.
Warden Ystanes: Mission accomplished, I take it?
Windguaerd: Another dead prisoner.
Warden Ystanes: Good job, Windguaerd. Like I told you before, I don't know if we're managing to stop these freaks of nature, but we're at least slowing them down some. I've got another orb here, if you want it. Pick your color.
Windguaerd: I'll take the blue.
The atrox hands over a small orb, slightly glowing from within.
Warden Ystanes: There you go. You know, I can't help but wonder what you're doing with these things. On the other hand, probably better if I don't know.
Windguaerd: Before I go...
Warden Ystanes: What do you need?
Windguaerd: Do you have any idea why the Dust Brigade freed these guys?
Warden Ystanes: Not a clue. If I knew I'd tell you, but... it doesn't really make any sense. We've tried contacting the priests out at Home, but they're keeping tight-lipped about all of it. Frankly, I'm at the point of not caring. My main concern is making sure these people don't do any harm to the populace.
Windguaerd: What can you tell me about the prisoners?
Warden Ystanes: Not much, really. About... a month ago or so, I guess, the priests out in Home contacted us about some security issues, and turned these guys in. Said they were dangerous, that something went haywire with them. Now, the funny part about this is that they didn't just give them to us - They contacted all three major prisons here on Rubi-Ka. ICC, Omni, and Clan. Each of us got a few of the prisoners. I don't know if they thought it was safer to split them up or what.
Either way, when we were doing the initial investigation, the ones we were looking at were obviously deranged, so we brought them in for observation and holding. Wasn't long before the... weird stuff started happening.

The atrox takes a deep breath, pausing for a moment before continuing on.
Warden Ystanes: I mean, you've fought them - These guys aren't just crazy. There's something wrong. The general lockup areas of the prisons all have a constant nano inhibitor field running, complete with a full dose of happy gas. And yet still somehow they managed to execute programs. More than a couple of guards got sent to reclaim before we shoved them in solitary - Apparently the same things happened at the other prisons as well. And that's not even the weird part.
Windguaerd: What's the weird part, then?
The warden pauses for a moment, peering at you through its helmet. When it speaks again its tone is different - Contemplative, a sound of confusion in its words.
Warden Ystanes: The weird part is that no matter what happened, no matter what... they never talked. Ever. They never said a word, never made a single sound. Not once. They almost acted like they'd been drugged most of the time, shuffling around lifelessly like some kind of zombies. And there was never any point or reason to when they would try to attack. They'd just... snap. Out of the blue. Like someone flicked a damn switch, they'd just spring to life. One minute they'd be staring at the ground, the next they'd be trying to ram ice shards through the throat of anybody nearby. And they never once made a single noise.
I don't know. There's a lot here that doesn't make any sense at all, and I have this sneaking suspicion I'm never going to find out much. But that's alright - Like I said, my main concern is just getting these prisoners back where they belong.
Windguaerd: I could swear you look kinda familiar...
The atrox sighs slightly, tone indicating it has answered this query several times before.
Warden Ystanes: Then you've probably met one of my gene-mates. It's a long story, I guess, but there were three of us... and let's just say we each had our own opinion on this whole "conflict" thing. It's kinda funny, in a way - We're each the main wardens of the prison systems here on Rubi-Ka. We don't all get along, but we do tend to share information when it's needed - Hence me knowing about how the prisoners acted in the other jail-houses across the planet.
The atrox shrugs lightly, a small grunt exiting its throat.
Warden Ystanes: Either way, I'd rather not talk about it much, thanks.
Windguaerd: What can you tell me about the prisoners?
Warden Ystanes: Not much, really. About... a month ago or so, I guess, the priests out in Home contacted us about some security issues, and turned these guys in. Said they were dangerous, that something went haywire with them. Now, the funny part about this is that they didn't just give them to us - They contacted all three major prisons here on Rubi-Ka. ICC, Omni, and Clan. Each of us got a few of the prisoners. I don't know if they thought it was safer to split them up or what.
Either way, when we were doing the initial investigation, the ones we were looking at were obviously deranged, so we brought them in for observation and holding. Wasn't long before the... weird stuff started happening.

The atrox takes a deep breath, pausing for a moment before continuing on.
Warden Ystanes: I mean, you've fought them - These guys aren't just crazy. There's something wrong. The general lockup areas of the prisons all have a constant nano inhibitor field running, complete with a full dose of happy gas. And yet still somehow they managed to execute programs. More than a couple of guards got sent to reclaim before we shoved them in solitary - Apparently the same things happened at the other prisons as well. And that's not even the weird part.
Windguaerd: What's the weird part, then?
The warden pauses for a moment, peering at you through its helmet. When it speaks again its tone is different - Contemplative, a sound of confusion in its words.
Warden Ystanes: The weird part is that no matter what happened, no matter what... they never talked. Ever. They never said a word, never made a single sound. Not once. They almost acted like they'd been drugged most of the time, shuffling around lifelessly like some kind of zombies. And there was never any point or reason to when they would try to attack. They'd just... snap. Out of the blue. Like someone flicked a damn switch, they'd just spring to life. One minute they'd be staring at the ground, the next they'd be trying to ram ice shards through the throat of anybody nearby. And they never once made a single noise.
I don't know. There's a lot here that doesn't make any sense at all, and I have this sneaking suspicion I'm never going to find out much. But that's alright - Like I said, my main concern is just getting these prisoners back where they belong.
Windguaerd: You have any idea what these stones are?
The warden shakes its head, shrugging slightly.
Warden Ystanes: It's the weirdest damn thing, really. The forensics guys refer to 'em as "soul stones" - Kind of a fancy name for what they really are, least according to them. Apparently they're a solidified mass of memory-storage nanobots, ripped off of stuff like old armour or clothing. I'll be honest here and say that I don't know exactly how the process works, or what it's supposed to be used for, but what really has my head twisted is how these guys keep getting so damn many of the things...
Ystanes simply shakes its head, shrugging again.
Warden Ystanes: Then again, probably best I don't know. I'd be willing to bet one of those damn priests in Home knows something, though - Maybe you should go see if they're willing to say anything.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.