Community - Monthly Development Update - January 2013

Newsentries to be discussed

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Community - Monthly Development Update - January 2013

Postby Silvana » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 pm

The delayed update has been posted, detailing the changes that are taking place at Funcom, along with our regular game updates. You can read the full post by clicking HERE!
Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Re: Community - Monthly Development Update - January 2013

Postby Zagadka » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 pm

<sigh>

This engine is really becoming vaporware, especially since FC's "restructuring" has significantly changed the development team several times. I mean, I'm grateful and I am waiting for it, but...

... given the hindsight that we've been hearing about this for like 5 years, it would have been, probably, cheaper and more effective to make AO2. Not only would they have a much easier load in building and populating the world, they would be able to make a more simplified skills system than the 1-200 XP, 200-220 SK, perks, research AIXP, AI perks, victory points, etc. Plus, they could more easily modify cities etc to adjust to better sizes instead of porting the zones that are sized for technology well over a decade old. If they did that and ported just usernames from current AO, I think people would be happier and FC would make more bank. It would also make for a much simpler development tree.
Zagadka

Postby Silvana » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:11 pm

I think if that happened, we'd end up hating it, because new games all follow the same over-simplified formula. You'd never see a system like AO has again, and that's what keeps a lot of people here ;)
Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Postby Khuri » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm pretty happy Funcom did with TSW, but as we see there as well, the majority of people who're interested in such "uncasual" gameplay is rather small. Same probably does count for AO these days and would be if they keep the current way it works...
yet this is exactly what i always liked about it. How it does NOT work like all the other games :)

However, we've still got like 5 years left to see "when it's done"...
Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Postby Zagadka » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Well, just moving to a sequel instead of expansion doesn't mean they would need to give up the unique skill-based system currently in AO. Like Khuri said, FC did have some interesting mechanics in TSW, and they could keep the basic AO concept skill point system in place, and make modifications for the alternate progressions. Maybe they could improve it and return to the original idea of letting you have more freedom within the class and choose what kind of weapon etc to use (TSW is the ultimate version of this) instead of the current system of having perks peg every class into one or two effective builds.

Plus, maybe, they could get the story back on track. Start it 100 years after now. Clean slate.

Another thing I remembered - this would also get them out of the "rebalancing" problem they have with trying to change basic gameplay systems without nerfing anything.

In any event, the biggest blow to my confidence in the future is folding development in with Conan and TSW. That's a dimach to the gut of the tradition and I'm hesitant to see where they will go.
Zagadka

Postby Silvana » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:22 pm

For everyone one person that likes how the system in TSW works, a dozen hate it. I think FC is feeling the effect of that in how fast their numbers have dropped. What becomes a problem is people feeling confused or left out by mechanics that don't hold your hand constantly and tell you "you're this profession, you pick these skills, you use these attacks, never stray from the tree". So they make the games really easy and you can get max level in no time. Then the same people complain about no new content, they hit a brick wall, and they quit.

Financially, it's easier to get more new people in to an easy game, than one like AO where you can spend years and not understand the mechanics. Get as much money as they can, shut the game down while they're ahead, move on to the next idea. It's becoming a trend if you pour through the articles on various sites.

I think AO is lucky in that there's nothing like it out there, and they know people will stay until something else pops up. So really, they have no reason to shut it down unless it starts losing money. Try doing AO2, and no one is going to let a system even remotely like what we have now slip by. I just hope the revamped new player experience slims down our turnover rate some. People get in to AO now and have zero clue. I wrote a whole article about it before. The mechanics in AO are identical to engineering equations that people to go to school for years to learn how to do properly.
Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Postby RU-SHUTNICK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Anarchy Online is unique, with her is matched only Eve-Online and Ultima Online!

Other games behind!!
Rushutnick - 208 NT
Rushutniik - 30 Adv
Rushutnik - 24 Eng
Rubel - 51 Doc
and other )
RU-SHUTNICK

Postby Zagadka » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm not saying that the AO mechanics should be replaced totally or in part - just that starting from scratch would make everything they are struggling with infinitely easier.

In any event, folding in the dev staff with Conan and TSW does not bode well for continuing AO's unique features in the future.
Zagadka

Postby Silvana » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 am

Zagadka wrote:I'm not saying that the AO mechanics should be replaced totally or in part - just that starting from scratch would make everything they are struggling with infinitely easier.

In any event, folding in the dev staff with Conan and TSW does not bode well for continuing AO's unique features in the future.

I agree. With not everyone on the team making the move, I don't expect anything new when people that don't know it attempt to add/change anything in the admittedly "messy" AO code.
Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Return to News-Corner