no gfx card with AO

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

pzkpfwVI

no gfx card with AO

Post by pzkpfwVI » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:09 pm

how would you play this game with on-board graphics? it is possible

could someone please point me to somewhere I can find out?

thanks

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:38 pm

What exactly do you mean?
You got an onboard graphic card, but AO does not recognize it and you can't play? Or does it, but it is too slow to play?

In first case, best is probably if you get yourself latest drivers for it. Just find out the chipset or manufactor of it, and then look on their website for graphics driver. Like Intel-Graphics (often on laptops), or if it's an Nvidia chipset, or ATI, they got packages for them all on their websites.
In second case, press the settings-button on the login screen where you choose your account, and set the graphics to low. Ingame, you can adjust graphics settings in the options, by pressing F10.

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:49 pm

I believe it is possible, I've done it with my "Black Box", the one that is rarely connected to the internet and upon which I test-run anything I'm not sure about. As you can imagine, I don't stock it up with hi-tech hardware that would be at risk. Compared to my #1 and #2 boxes, it sucked, however I suppose it would be playable. Horribly. I can only suggest you follow Khuri's advice if this is what you wish to do.

pzkpfwVI

Post by pzkpfwVI » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:48 pm

when I go to Display Settings in windows on that specific PC it doesn't show any video chipset or driver, it just says plug and play monitor o_O

but at startup or somewhere (diagnostic or something) it said it had 32mb onboard graphics, also, I cna't find any drivers

yeah, and AO doesn't see the display thing either

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:51 pm

Then I don't think you can play it with your onboard graphics.

pzkpfwVI

Post by pzkpfwVI » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:45 pm

thanks for trying though :|

it wasn't for me, I have 6600gt, but for my sister :( who wanted to play realy bad

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:01 pm

You shouldn't give up that easily :P

If it's onboard graphics, and there's no display device detected, try the following first:
Go to your system (manager), hardware manager (dunno exactly how these are called on english OS). This should look something like that.
[img]http://www.khuris.fieses.net/images/systemmanager.png[/img]

Look for the option where it says "graphics card", and open it. If there is no such entry, or the name is blank, then you definately got no correct graphic card drivers installed.
If you got a name displayed, like in my example picture, look at the name. Like in my case, it's an NVIDIA-chipset based card. You can download drivers for it at www.nvidia.com - if it is ATI, download them at www.ati.com

If there is no card displayed, or you can not make sense out of the name, then you need to find out what mainboard you got in your computer, where the graphic card is installed onboard.
So, someone in your house probably bought that thing. Look if you got any manual of it left maybe. If so, get the name of the board and look at the manufactors website for graphic drivers for your boards name. If you are not sure where to search for, take the name of the board and try using www.google.com

In case you got NO manual... you can try out finding out what kind of mainboard you got by either opening your PC's case and look at printings on the mainboard itself.
Or you try the following. You restart the PC, and right at the beginning, you get the BIOS loadup. This is when it initialises things like the hard disks and the cd-rom and such. When you got that screen (immediately after turning on the machine) hit the PAUSE-key on your keyboard. It should let the screen freeze normally. Then, look at the screen for information. There's usually the boards name and it's version printed somewhere on top of the screen. If you are unsure what it might be, best type all down and then google for it. Sometimes works wonders ;)
If you find out the board type, again, look at the manufactors website for graphic card drivers for the onboard chip.

I know this might sound difficult, but you might wanna give it a try :)

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:41 pm

System Manager = Control Panel

The Menu Khuri is looking at on his screenshot is Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager

pzkpfwVI

Post by pzkpfwVI » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:20 pm

lol, I broke the PC

so I see the drivers aren't installed correct (wrong version) get the RIGHT version according to motherboard (really weird mobo, will post pic soon) and try to install it, restart PC now it just hangs and does nothing, not hardware issue

no problems, was a really crappy PC anyway, and it wasn't mine either

Satertek

Post by Satertek » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:53 pm

If it dosn't work, any $20 ATI or NVidia video card should run AO fine.
Cania 192/12 Shade RK2
Satertek 121/5 Doctor RK2
Mishon 129/0 Trader RK2 Froob
Blizt 173/0 Fixer RK2 Froob

pzkpfwVI

Post by pzkpfwVI » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:35 pm

mobo doesn't have AGP slot, and I'm not in the US, and the cheapest PCI card I can find is R798 bucks :)

here's some pics of the major-strange mobo:

Notice below, the strange "AGP" slot (the brown one)
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/f ... ard002.jpg[/img]

NOW look! the CPU is embedded into the board itself, weird huh?
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/f ... ard001.jpg[/img]

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Heh, I had a box like that. Can't actually remember how I fixed it.