My ideas for the NEW AO (If supposedly the new engine comes)

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

ZootSuitRioteer

My ideas for the NEW AO (If supposedly the new engine comes)

Post by ZootSuitRioteer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Here's some ideas that I highly doubt Funcom would see, as this is AOU and not their official site, LOL.

These are just things I think would be cool, you don't HAVE to agree, but it's just some ideas I jump around my head some.

Mission Terminals: Now, these are unique as these solo missions are quite fun IMHO, but for the love of all that is Atrox, please don't make it so random, I'm not a big fan of running my big, scary, I-beam wielding butt all the way to Clondyke for a map piece that I can't use because being an Atrox means I'm only slightly more intelligent than a sack of oranges.

What I would do: I would make it to where you pick a location you want, albeit Galway Shire, Rome, Tir, 4 Holes, ETC. and being able to just do missions, yes the in-city missions yield less cash, but would save MASSIVE amounts of time if you're not a Fixer with the capability to hack into the Grid and practically teleport yourself anywhere. The prizes are decent, but I would like more of a chance to get decent items, not rare (though can happen...as it did once) and perhaps something that would be worth running to Clondyke for.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gameplay: Don't get me wrong, I enjoy bashing robots in the face with my katana, it's hilarious and yields hours of entertainment, but I think something could be a bit more...interesting. When I heard of AO when I first started (Back when it came out) I was expecting a sort of FPS-like feel. Though I know not all professions would benefit from this, I can show you why.

What I Would Do: I would make the predominantly shooting profs (Pistol Advy, Soldier, Fixer, Trader) play sort of like Fallout 3, but without the stopping time. Where you aimed actually mattered and maneuvering could as well work (though rarely you could sidestep Nano programs, as nanites can gravitate towards flesh, but a few can be dodged.) For mostly melee based Profs (Enforcer, Martial Artist, Keeper, Sword Advy) could play more like Oblivion, where you can swing and hit, much like Fallout 3, but you can still aim for someone's face and introduce them to Dr. Sword and his best friend Nurse Knife.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roleplaying: Now, AO has a decent story for a Sci-Fi based game IMO, but not everyone roleplays, it is kinda fun to RP when I play various characters. WoW (I know, magic death words here) have RP servers with very decent RPers who I tend to hang out with, and do a bang up job with immersing me into the game. I know there will always be that one guy (or girl) who wants to play just to be the strongest MoFo in all the existence of Rubi-Ka or the Shadowlands, but at least put some effort into enjoying the game for what it is.

What I Would Do: I would have RP servers, even a thing where you can type a Bio for your character that people can read. You could even PICK the real name of your character (unlike picking it at random in the old Pre-Notum Wars name terminals) How did they come about their nickname, what gave them the incentive to hop on the shuttle to the ICC station, what is their motivations? All things would be summed in player Bios. It would also be cool to have indie DJs make more music for the nightclubs in AO, even some reputable ones for a guest starring (Deadmau5 is a good example). I would even have player-based nightclub hopping from Baboon's to maybe even player-owned nightclubs/complexes.

That's all I got, I hope this didn't come out as a rant, just seeing what I could spark in the way of ideas...and I would like to hear what you guys and gals could think of, I wouldn't mind feedback and/or changes to my ideas.

I'm no game programmer but I'm also very imaginative
:D
Le g?â?óteau est un mensonge

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 am

Well, frankly, your ideas aren't that fresh. Which means other players also thought that would be neat. But to reply in a bit more detail:

Mission terminals: there's a existing workaround. 2 actually. First is clicksaver (you'll link to it on the right, under "multimedia"). Now, if you don't want to use 3rd party tools, you can "use" game mechanics. For example, if you pull mission from terminal, it sends you to Clondyke. But usually zones are connected depending on your level. Which means that if you go to Clodynke, you can pull mission to the city you were pulling it from before. There is certain limitations tho, usually it's real pain to pull 5th mission in same zone.

Gameplay: there used to be some MMO with point&shoot mechanics, forgot the name. Talk about friendly fire, waste of ammo, etc. Besides, with (higher) chances of missing, fire rate would have to be upped significaly. And PvP would be totally messed up.

Roleplaying: I think player population is too low for a dedicated RP server. Still, there are hardcore RP orgs that can give you same imersion on RK. To change name, use /name first XXX ; /name last XXX. And for bios, check right side of our page, under "Roleplaying" ->"Backgroundstory Pager
Search Profile
List Profiles
Add Profile
Info
History
".
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:17 am

Just to clarify, the new engine is a graphics update only. The actual game mechanics and inner workings aren't going to be changing any more than they already do with regular patches ;)

ZootSuitRioteer

Post by ZootSuitRioteer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:18 am

I know, but it was just ideas I had...nothing I said was official, just trying to spruce things up! :D
Le g?â?óteau est un mensonge