maps / froobs

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

kcfalcon

maps / froobs

Post by kcfalcon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Two questions...

1. I read about (and downloaded) the Atlas of Rubi Ka, because it seemed everyone was saying that this was the map to have. But just recently I read where someone was recommending a cspmap. Which of the two is best?

2. I read that, once you upgrade to paid account, there are some "perks" that you get at certain level invervals. If you wait a long time before upgrading, do you still get all those "perks" that you would have gotten at lower levels once you upgrade?

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Re: maps / froobs

Post by Fourthaid » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:13 pm

kcfalcon wrote:1. I read about (and downloaded) the Atlas of Rubi Ka, because it seemed everyone was saying that this was the map to have. But just recently I read where someone was recommending a cspmap. Which of the two is best?
Atlas of Rubi-Ka.

CSPMap is discontinued and no longer updated, Atlas of Rubi-Ka is based on CSPMap and is still updated :) Seems like an easy choice to me, though both are much, much, much, much (I could go on here forever ^^ ) better than the default map ;)
kcfalcon wrote:2. I read that, once you upgrade to paid account, there are some "perks" that you get at certain level invervals. If you wait a long time before upgrading, do you still get all those "perks" that you would have gotten at lower levels once you upgrade?
You will get access to those perks even if you upgrade after having leveled.

If you upgrade to Shadowlands after dinging 100 for instance, you will automatically have access to 10 Shadowlands perks. Alien Invasion Perks are a bit different and can not be gained before you upgrade since it requires you to kill aliens and get the Alien XP they give :)

Hope that answers you questions :)

kcfalcon

Post by kcfalcon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:24 pm

just a quick follow-up question on the Atlas...I downloaded it and put it in the folder that it indicated...but I want to be sure I did it right. My toon is still in the Athens area...so should I see words and stuff on my map? Right now it just looks like shaded topography.

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Post by Niodemus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:49 pm

kcfalcon wrote:just a quick follow-up question on the Atlas...I downloaded it and put it in the folder that it indicated...but I want to be sure I did it right. My toon is still in the Athens area...so should I see words and stuff on my map? Right now it just looks like shaded topography.
After installing the Atlas to the folder and loggin in, you have to select the map by the small 'i' in upper left corner and clicking on select map. Once you selected the Atlas and you still the 'shaded topography' please try zoom out, usually the 'shaded' map is the highest zoom in factor.

kcfalcon

Post by kcfalcon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:22 pm

ah thanks! I'll try that when I get home

kcfalcon

Post by kcfalcon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:03 pm

well, I opened the PF Map and clicked on the little "i", but did not get a choice to choose the Atlas. The only options I got one was "show buttons", "autopfade map", and "Close map". Did I install it wrong or miss something?

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:02 pm

Options should be...

Center on player
Center on shop
Center on mission
Select Map
Show buttons
Autofade Window
Close Window

Obviously it's the 4th one you're interested in...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:35 pm

kcfalcon wrote:well, I opened the PF Map and clicked on the little "i", but did not get a choice to choose the Atlas. The only options I got one was "show buttons", "autopfade map", and "Close map". Did I install it wrong or miss something?
It's not the PF Map, but the Planetmap which you open up with P :)

kcfalcon

Post by kcfalcon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:48 pm

ok, I tried that, but I get the error message...that there is an error opening the .txt file of whichever map I select. I read the readme and ran the command it indicated, but no change. Am I missing something really simple?

(Btw, the AoRK is version 2.0, if that makes any difference.)

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:22 am

kcfalcon wrote:ok, I tried that, but I get the error message...that there is an error opening the .txt file of whichever map I select. I read the readme and ran the command it indicated, but no change. Am I missing something really simple?

(Btw, the AoRK is version 2.0, if that makes any difference.)
It might be that the map was extracted into the "wrong" folder?

Just downloaded the AoRK zip-file to check and you should extract it directly to the "Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\textures\PlanetMap" folder, since it already comes zipped with the folders required.

That way all the map files should be located at:

X:\<insert your path to the AO folder here>\Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\textures\PlanetMap\AoRK

If that doesn't help, please post the entire error message so we can see what else might be the problem :)

edit:

Also, does this error message appear when you press P (as in you never got to PlanetMap up and you instantly get an error message) or when you try to select the map?

kcfalcon

Post by kcfalcon » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:42 am

Error Loading File: C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\textures\PlanetMap\AoRK.txt

I used to get the error message only when I tried to specifically select one of the atlas maps. Now I get it whenever I hit P. But I'm guessing that if I run that certain command line again, that I can still get the default map up.

Anyway, I have even tried taking the individual files out of the AoRK file and having them all directly in the planetmap folder. Either way I get the same results.

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:53 am

kcfalcon wrote:Error Loading File: C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\textures\PlanetMap\AoRK.txt

I used to get the error message only when I tried to specifically select one of the atlas maps. Now I get it whenever I hit P. But I'm guessing that if I run that certain command line again, that I can still get the default map up.

Anyway, I have even tried taking the individual files out of the AoRK file and having them all directly in the planetmap folder. Either way I get the same results.
That is quite odd.. it's looking for AoRK.txt outside in the "PlanetMap" folder and not in the "AoRK" folder...

I'd suggest re-extracting the AoRK.zip to "C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\cd_image\textures\PlanetMap"
Then make sure all these files are present in the AoRK folder:

AoRK.bin
AoRK.txt
AoRK_MapCoords.xml
AoRK-Atlantean.txt
AoRK-DNW.txt
AoRK-Rimor.txt
hashes.txt
readme.txt

Now start AO (if it isn't already :) ) and type in:

/setoption PlanetMapIndexFile normal/PlanetMapIndexNormal.txt

This should reset the map to AO's default Map. Now open up the Planetmap by pressing P, select the map and try to choose one of the other AoRK maps (they are all identical as far as I am aware, but try AoRK-Atlantean or AoRK-Rimor or AoRK-DNW just to see if they will work.

Keep the infowindow open with the different map options in case it fails so you can select another version of AoRK to see if that works.

If the files are all in the folder and it still doesn't work, it almost seems as if AO is unaware of the maps available.. so try to manually type:

/setoption PlanetMapIndexFile AoRK/AoRK.txt

Beyond those ideas I have no other suggestions I'm afraid..

kcfalcon

Post by kcfalcon » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:01 am

Well, that seems to have fixed it! Go figure! And I must say that this Atlas map is incredible! Thanks so much for your time and help! Much appreciated!

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:02 am

No problem :)

kcfalcon

Post by kcfalcon » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:07 am

I noticed that when I zoom in to the closest range possible, that the map changes from color to grey scale. I assume that's normal. right?