Tutoring

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

OlowNon

Tutoring

Post by OlowNon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:04 am

Has anyone here made much use of the tutoring skill? I've come into posession of a tutoring device, which got me thinking about the subject, but it seems like the (temporary) benefits are far outweighed by the cost in skill IP (even though it's cheaper than most).

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:12 am

A lvl200 Tutoring Device requires 1000 points in Tutoring...

I would definately be using these on both my main characters, if I could get my damn Tutoring up to 1000 at TL6!!!!! :twisted: :lol:

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:24 am

There are some nice items that req tutoing to equip. But if you aren't tradeskiller, don't bother...and even if you are, you can neglect it. But frankly, this skill is Ip trap.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Boinky

Post by Boinky » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:01 pm

I disagree. A ql200 Tutoring device adds 50 to a skill right? As a tradeskiller if you have a skill maxed but you still need more to make something even after all your other tricks then 50 more is a boon. I wouldn't say raise it for sure if you don't want to and certainly not until you are fairly high level but why not avail yourself of the tools available?

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:18 pm

There are usually other ways to gain those skills. In most cases they cost big creds, but you can always raise your funds. Unfortunatly it's not the same with Ip.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Boinky

Post by Boinky » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:23 pm

Well I more meant after all that. I have virtually every item I can possibly have to add to tradeskills save higher levels of Combined Officer's armor, and well for me truth to be told besides Psychology skill there isn't much I can't do right now besides 5 Gem bracers and ql300 armor, but +50 to a tradeskill can be a great help to many.

Keldros

Post by Keldros » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:13 am

These are a waste of time at low levels, but at higher levels they can be useful.

You don't need to triple-implant the skill and raise tutoring to 1000, but is is nice to be able to use some higher-QL tutoring devices for some of those NoDrop SL armors and AI items.

The skill boost is QL/4, and the requirement is QL*5, so this means you can add tutoring/20 to any tradeskill with the appropriate tutoring device.

Normally, that sounds like a waste of IP, but IP cost increases with skill level.
Having a tradeskill above 600, it's worth considering whether you should spend IP in tutoring instead of raising that particular tradeskill.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:41 pm

Boinky wrote:Well I more meant after all that. I have virtually every item I can possibly have to add to tradeskills save higher levels of Combined Officer's armor, and well for me truth to be told besides Psychology skill there isn't much I can't do right now besides 5 Gem bracers and ql300 armor, but +50 to a tradeskill can be a great help to many.
I was looking at Combined Officers, but Combined Scouts looks better from a tradeskill option...
But anyway, the only down side to Tutoring Devices is that you can only use one of them at once... :(

Upupa

Post by Upupa » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:06 pm

The most used tutoring device is the one for comp. lit.

You can use a really low ql one to get those last points when you want a better NCU-belt or better NCU?âÔÇÜ?é??s on.