Asking for buffs

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

castagere

Asking for buffs

Post by castagere » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Whats the right way of doing this? I must be doing this wrong because sometimes i get ignored from players. Also how do i know if i'm asking the right person for a type of buff. I do know that enforcers do essence buffs but what about docs or mp's? :?:

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:05 pm

There really isn't any set sets of rules, but you can try the following...
You can first try asking for a buff over OOC channel. Since lots of players have it turned off, don't expect much. After that I suggest going to places where players usually gather when idling, places like grid, whompa or shops. Find a profession you're seeking and ask him/her for buff in vicinity, give him/her soe time to rspond, if no response, try asking in tell. Also use please and thank you/thanks, since some players don't respond well to pls, plx, pl0x, buff me!! and stuff like that. Also remember to have enough NCU free and when you need several buffs at once, you should get those with longest timers first.

As to which profession buffs what....there really aren't that many buffs players usually ask for, but until you learn which those are, I suggest you head over to www.auno.org or www.aomainfame.info and check professional nanos there.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:32 pm

If I'm looking for Essence of Behemoth, this is the system I usualy use...

/list enf
*this drops out a list of all enfs in the local area (but only the ones that haven't used the /anon command).*
*I chose one from the list that's a suitable level, then...*

/tell <name here> Hi, could I trouble you for behemoth please?
to <my char> Sure, where are you?
/r I'll come to you, buffee runs! ;) lol
to <my char> North GMS OA Hill
/r omw, thanks...

*then when I get there I stand infront of him but just off to the side cos ppl using 3rd person can't see you if you're stood directly infront of them, especialy if you're a little char & they're a HUGE great trox...*

/bow
/ hi ^^ (this is in vicinity... (tells are good for contact but vicinity is better manners when you're with them))

*he buffs me...*

/ Thanks muchly
/curt
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:06 am

the standard buffs needed...

SFA (+80 Treatment) - Doctor

Behe (+27 Str and Stam) - Enforcer

GSF (+720 Run Speed) - Fixer

Long Term HoT's (heals over time, varies in QL) - Fixer

IC (+20 str) - Doctor

3-132 Wrangles (+3-132 to certain skills) - Trader

NS (+ to Phychic and Intell) - Nano Technician

RC (+120 Burst) - Soldier

NOTE: I dont know how much NS buffs because I am froob and not sure if its froob friendly)

These are just a few of the buffs ive ask for the most. Hopefully this will help as to knowing what proff to ask and not to ask.

castagere

Post by castagere » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:16 am

Thank you guys for the replies. I'm a froob also and was hoping that was not the reason for the ignores i sometimes get.

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:36 am

Use proper grammar and punctuation. Seriously, this helps a LOT. Don't use conversational "IM speak" like "plz" or "gief meh buffz". There are a lot of folks in the world who see this as a sign of respect and will often buff you for free if you show them as such.

Be polite. If someone doesn't buff you, or someone asks for a tip that you can't afford, move on to the next person with a polite "Sorry for bothering you." While you may not get a buff from that person that first time, they will remember your politeness and may buff you the next time you need it.

Ask only for what you need. If you only need a 74+ wrangle, don't ask for the 132 wrangle. If you only need 20 points of Strength, don't ask for a Behe, ask for "IC or 20+ Essence". You may get more and better offers from people who can't cast the highest buffs.

If you are offering a tip, don't put up an open offer. Put up a specific credit amount, and follow through with that amount. While there are many people who ask for standard tips that seem a bit high (and I am one of them, by the way), often this isn't because they are being greedy or stingy... they set their rates because it allows them to play the game without being hassled by buff beggars. And there are many many people who are willing to undercut those prices.

Finally, know your territory. Borealis is a hot spot to go when you need a buff, especially around Fair Trade and the Grid point, but for each faction, there are places where you are more likely to get buffs. Rome Green Advanced or Omni Trade are the hot spots for Omni on RK1, for example.

The best way to get buffs, in my opinion, is belonging to a good org.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:06 am

Actualy, on RK my Org pretty much single handedly stopped Clan asking for creds for buffs...
We used to congregate on OA hill when we weren't doing anything & chat, if anyone came past wanting a buff we'd buff them & refuse payment...
After a couple of months everyone else stopped asking for tips for buffs, it just wasn't working...

I hate the use of tips for buffs & have NEVER charged for buffs, I only thought of this cos I got asked for a tip yesterday from an omni char in bor, it's the first time I've been asked for creds for a buff in over a year!!!

Kiytan

Post by Kiytan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:24 am

also, try to ask the right level person, no point asking a level 50 trader for a 132 wrangle (yeah, its probably possible, but unlikely anyone will)

if you are unsure of the rough level, a good bet is to go to auno.org look up the nano and either guestimate from the nano requirements, or read the comments.

and a lot of people you ask probably are AFK, sometimes you just get unlucky. I generally find Old athens and borealis are best for finding buffers

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:39 am

Snakebite wrote:Actualy, on RK my Org pretty much single handedly stopped Clan asking for creds for buffs...
We used to congregate on OA hill when we weren't doing anything & chat, if anyone came past wanting a buff we'd buff them & refuse payment...
After a couple of months everyone else stopped asking for tips for buffs, it just wasn't working...
I highlighted the important part. I don't like it when bother me for buffs when I'm off defending towers or trying to get to a raid or actively trying to play the game in some way. Some of us actually want to play the game and didn't roll a trader/engineer/MP/etc. to be someone else's buff bunny. This applies especially when it comes to wrangling, which often require drains, automatically making the trader go out of his/her way to give you the buff.

Every time you cast a buff on someone, there is a cost associated with it. Even if the cost is tiny (a bit of your time, availability, and nano points), this cost adds up. I remember trying to fill in the wrangle requests on Omni side this year during the Xmas holiday... it was a constant stream of people (at least 1 person every 5 mintues) and I did not get any playtime for 3 hours. 3 hours is a precious amount of time for people who may not necessarily have much free time. A tip shows that you care about this cost. It's like donating to public radio or donating to your favorite webcomic.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton

castagere

Post by castagere » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Tipping ok, How much should a lvl 100+ player get from a lvl 30 player? I would never know what to offer someone thats is a lot higher lvl than me.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Money in this game is all relative... At low lvls you are scrabbling for every penny , but at high level it's almost freely available... To a character with a 'rich main' then chucking 1 or 2 mill at someone you've asked for a buff generaly doesn't mean anything, but asking a low to mid level character that has no rich main may be taking a quater or a half of everything he has!!!

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:37 pm

Most players realize that they can't expect too much of a tip from lvl 30 char. But unless you run into buff whore, they'll understand if you'll tip just 50k for example. Those players that spam "tipping 500k or X mills for buff" different channels, do so in order to atract interest (and ofc they can afford it). You can always just spam "lf this&this buff", that won't make any player go out of his or her way to buff you, but you'll probably get resonse in time. And in most cases, players will decline tip when you'll offer it (at least I do on rare occasions I'm actually in populated area).
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:19 am

Be honest. Say exactly what you think you can afford for a tip. Those who are willing to buff you for that tip will contact you. Don't think that only the rich can afford outside buffing, either, because of greedy people who cling to their buffs... this is VERY rarely the case. It is more likely that you are not in the proximity of someone who can cast that buff.

Personally, I am annoyed when people say "tipping well", when they really aren't. It's a bit of false advertising. I once did an informal study of folks who were "tipping well", and found the amount to be 200k, but that was the average. There were people who said "tipping well" who didn't tip at all!

theophrast

My experiece with buffhunting/buff-giving

Post by theophrast » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:20 pm

This is my experience/opinion about buff-"hunting" -- beside other toons i have 2 MPs and a Trader, so i think I know a bit from the giving as ofc from the buff-hunting side....

Important:
To ask for buffs in a polite way, just create some macros in your shortcut bar - it's quite easy:

/macro CI /tell %t Excuse me %t, but may I trouble You for a CI please?

Enter this in a chat window and place the new button in you shortcut-bar. now, when you're hunting a CI, just target the MP and click the button, the %t in the macro is substituted by the name of the player. the macro above executed with Theophrast as target gives:

/tell Theophrast Excuse me Theophrast, but may I trouble You for a CI please?

I have macros for all buffs I may need, like

/macro SFA /tell %t, Excuse me %t, but may I trouble you for SFA please?

/macro Esse /tell %t, Excuse me %t, but may I trouble you for an Esse please?

/macro FG /tell %t, Excuse me %t, but may I trouble you for FelineGrace please?

etc.
You may even save these as scripts and use them without further hassle on all of your toons, maybe adding some emotes...

About tipping/paying for buffs:
Basically You can get every buff for free, you dont HAVE to pay or tip... BUT being able to offer a certain amount of credits may bring someone to log another toon just for buffing you or interrupting his actual task. usually when i'm in real need of a buff now and here i sometimes offer quite large sums of money. but for most buffs i get i dont pay and usually i give out all buffs for free.
/ME dont like to get small sums of credits, i always refuse. I dont like to have the trade window pop up and have to close it, this is more annoying then the 50 or 100k are worth for me. so if you tip me, give me at least 300k or leave it...
It's different with the trader toon though as he not only may have to drain etc., but he stays debuffed for 3 minutes afterwards. its a much bigger interruption of playing then the occasional CI every minute

About people not responding:
I have my different chat windows organized in a certain way. Most of the time i dont have vicinity in front, but my orgchat/tell-msg-window. Most of the time i even just ignore vicinity. If you want a buff from me, send me a tell. But even then maybe I'm just reperking something, distributing IP, calculating something with "calc" or OO Calc in front, equipping something, sorting the content of 30 backpacks in my inventory, surfing some AO-websites etc. this means: I'm not AFK, but I'm very busy and dont check my chat-windows all the time. So just wait. Wait even longer. Im nearly always respoding to tells, but it may be after 5 minutes.

ALWAYS ask for a buff in ONE COMPLETE SENTENCE.
I HATE these people who send me these "heya"-tells as much as this "CIplzkthxbye"-style. They really expect me to stop what im actually doing and respond to them with some "what do you want?".
please always send a tell like "Hey Theo, may I trouble You for a CI". most of the time - if you stand in front of me - you will just get the CI without any further action/responds from my side.

Hints for Buffhunting:
/Me always tries to track down a player of the right prof/level personally. I think it is much easier to ask someone if you stand before him. there are good places for hunting high players - in front of GMS terminals, at the higher Battlestation terminals, inside FairTrade in Bore sometimes.

Dont bother to travel between Borealis and Newland. When I'm really in need of a buff, I run 1 round through Borealis and then travel to Newland, looking there outside the city at the +150 Battlestation terminal, then returning to Newland.
Sometimes it may take a hour to get some simple buff - this can be annoying, but that is life^^ it may help to be member of a friendly org with helpful orgmates.

These are all my personal opinions. Other people may have different views, dont flame me if your opinion differs^^

Theophrast, MP 150, RK1

Kandaje

Post by Kandaje » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:51 pm

Greetings...

In my own personal experience both in Asking for and Givng Buffs:

Grammer and politeness count more than anything else:

I'll usually ignore someone who curtly says - "FG and ES plz" then repeats it every 5 seconds. Then runs away without even a ty...

But I find it very hard to refuse someone who politely says - "Hi there Mr. Agent, would you be so kind as to buff me with ES and FG please?" then follows up with a "Thank you very much! Happy Hunting!"

When looking for certain buffs - go to the places that you would expect to use them - for example if you're looking for treatment buffs - go to the Implant sections of stores. Where people are using and needing treatment.

I frequently hang around loitering areas - Like AO hill for example and just buff anyone that stands in front of me. (I give fair warning of course in OCC channel).

The very last place you should be asking for buffs - BTW - are common Reclaim/Respawn points. Such as the patio in front of Newland Prison. A lot of people use Newland as their reclaim point - and If I've just been killed - well, I have neither the skill nor the nano to buff myself - let alone anyone else until I regen - yet that seems to be where I get pestered the most for buffs...

lastly - If you want buffs - Give Buffs...
If I'm looking for a long HoT or some 8 hour Composites - I just go to AO Hill and ES and FG everyone who wants it - it usually takes about 15 minutes on average before someone "Trades" buffs...

Doing it that way - I go with my NCU empty - and when I'm ready to leave- I'll stop any Buff that I dont want running, or takes up too much ncu space...

But as I said up top - Simple Politeness and Grammer - the magic words: Please and Thank You - will get you a lot more than "Tipping millions for Buff XX"
No kidding - I've bailed deep in the bowels of Foremans just to Buff someone who said please - I'm not motivated by greed...