Hi

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Glordo

Hi

Post by Glordo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:47 am

Long time EQ'er here however with christmas coming my better half cut off my allowance for the rest of the year .....
But she realizes i have to have some kind of gaming experience and searched and found AO and here i am ....
Another Froob

Currently i have a 48 atrox adv in Tower of Train Wrecks and was curious as to where the next place of grinding exp was?
or where there is someplace with better loot (it all seems to be no-drop)
if anyone has suggestions please include maps or detailed info on travel
seems i let map navigation skills slip (miss skills auto advancing as they were used)
:roll:

overall i have enjoyed the experience of AO but seem to manage to always be short on funds or needing 100-200 more ip
and thank you windguaerd for someplace to show that froobs have questions too

Frieloc

Post by Frieloc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:14 am

Well, the IP issue, it eventually fixes itself out and you have tons of spare IP in the end (until you get to level 201+, if you have expansions). At every title level (15, 50, 100, 150, 190) you get more IP per level. Adventurers are pretty easy on the IP though, unless you use your IP un-wisely, but don't worry and use your precious IPR's - you only get a certain number of those ever and in the small picture it may look like you trashed your character but in the large picture you've maybe spent 0.5% of your ip (or less? I forget the numbers).

In my gaming in AO, I try to avoid totw as much as possible. Why? As you stated theres trains. Also, too many players who don't even have the common gameplay knowledge down yet (even if its their 10th lvl 60 totw char). I try to mission until about 25-30, then go to totw and get whatever loot I want (Guardian Circuit Board, couple Exarch's if I can, Notum Ring of Three and Platinum Ring, Withered Flesh, and Barrow Strength - dont bother with DMs unless you (1) dont have better NCUs in the first place or (2) are really dying for the extra nano) and then leave and go do more missions. Token boads are your friends. They are amazing. The earlier you get them the better.

That being said, most people do level at totw so usually its either go solo or deal with a usually crap team at totw. Rough choices, I know. Don't worry though, either just put up with the grind of totw or just go around and explore zones and theres outdoor dynas and mobs you can kill as well.

As far as "the next grind" there is the Biomare dungeon on The Longest Yard which is open up to level 100 and also the Crypt of Home in Broken Shores which is open to 110? I honestly can't say much for these dungeons. Theres some decent loot (none in Biomare besides the TIM scope (and sorry I dont know its real name out of game :P )that I can think of off the top of my head for an Advy) in Crypt of Home (again, not much pointed towards Advy only equip but decent items) but I don't believe the xp off the mobs there (besides bosses) are very good at all. However, theres Claws (lvl 85ish in Pleasant Meadows - N of Trade Grid, E of Harry's grid) and Hackers (lvl 90-110? I think). From all the times I've checked Claws are never camped, and from the times I've played every once in awhile theres a clan team as well at hackers.

Some other places are: Borgs in Greater Tir Country (forget level), Borgs in PW (forget level), and um... missions. Missions are great to make money. And tokens. Besides that, I really can't think of much off the top of my head since I haven't done any high lvl froob leveling in ages
Imatroxdoc, 188/12 Atrox Doctor, Omni, Squad Commander of Band of Little Brothers
Ruffixx, 136/13 Opifex Fixer, Omni, Unit Member of Obsidian Order

Former account open for now:
Imadoctor, 208/11 Solitus Doctor
Frieloc, 205/8 Soltius Adventurer

All Altantean.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:21 am

You're a bit low yet but there's Ninja Droids in ... errr... damn, forgot where the ninjas are but someone will tell you... possibly Wine...

Other than that, if you're after loot for cash, do missions, fill 2/3s of your inv with backpacks & loot everything that isn't bolted down, damn good money that way, & there's always the chance of coming across something like a GA Disk that will make you millions to another player...

Alex9000

Post by Alex9000 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:47 pm

the Crypt of Home in Broken Shores which is open to 110?
You can be warped there at any lvl so mostly all of CoH phatz camped by hi lvl chars. But still CoH have much to offer.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:56 pm

The most useful of items is the Reanimator's Cloak, this is a leveling item which starts at Lvl100 and goes up to Lvl150...

You make it by:

Using a Bio-Comminutor on a Pit Demon Heart to make Indigo Carmine...
You then use the Indigo Carmine on a Necromancer Cloak to get the Lvl100 Reanimator's Cloak...

This item is a must for any serious Nano user (& a few casual users) and is the two-tone robe you often see Doctors and Engineers wearing.

Unkala

Re: Hi

Post by Unkala » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:21 pm

Currently i have a 48 atrox adv in Tower of Train Wrecks and was curious as to where the next place of grinding exp was?
http://aowiki.net/Dungeons has a good summary, with level ranges.

The next large static dungeon would be Biomare. Crypt of Home starts with significantly higher mobs than Biomare and has doors that involve levers, timers, and ambushes -- soloing it is a lot tougher. Also, pickup groups are harder to find.

The Cyborg Barracks and Steps of Madness are unrewarding in terms of XP and loot compared to alternatives and are virtually abandoned.

In any event, though, dungeons aren't the best places to go if grinding XP is your main intent. Yes, spawn rates are high, so you can fight constantly, but mobs have more health than elsewhere for the same XP. Densely-populated outdoor camps and terminal missions provide more XP-efficient mobs to kill.
or where there is someplace with better loot (it all seems to be no-drop)
It depends what you mean by "better". ToTW holds a greater number and variety of performance-boosting items than the dungeons just after it, especially if you are a melee profession. If credits are your goal, on the other hand, most anything else is an improvement. (Bring lots of backpacks to Biomare.)
if anyone has suggestions please include maps or detailed info on travel
Biomare:

Dungeon entry is a door marked "Foreman" in the middle of a mining outpost's west wall. To get to the outpost...

Clan/Neutral: Whompah from Athen to Bliss. Run southwestish to the main road (for safety), then a loooong way west. There's a mining outpost surrounded by dry hills that come right up to the road. Turn south into it.

Alternately, get yourself into the Fixer Grid and take the left Longest Road exit on floor 6, which puts you just west of the outpost.

Better yet, get the item from Biomare itself that lets you teleport there from Borealis.

Warning: Watch the guards, they're Omni-aligned and will shoot Clan on sight.

Omni: Whompah from 2HO to The Longest Road. (2HO itself is at least 3 jumps from Rome any way you go.) This puts you directly into the outpost.

Crypt of Home:

If your Computer Literacy is >250: Grid to Broken Shores. This puts you in the City of Home. Follow the road west out of town, it's a short northward-turning run to the Crypt.

If it's not: both Clan and Omni have Whompahs into Broken Shores. From the Omni one, follow the road west, then keep going west cross-country after you cross the river. From Clan, run southwest cross-country until you hit a dirt road in the desert, then follow it south.

Warning: Running from either Whompah involves going through 25% suppression gas areas.

Frieloc

Post by Frieloc » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:44 am

Right, how could I forget Ninjas.... those are good for Clanners between.. hm havent done them in ages... 70-90s perhaps? In Wine, which is OA - > Tir - > VW - > Wine

For IP generalizing on my new Advy I max:

Agi & Sense (Opifex, Armor)
Stamina & Body Dev (HP)
Intel and Nano Pool (Nano, Nano skills)
Pistol
Ranged Init - damage
Nano Init - nanocasting
Evade Clsc and Dodge Range (stopped Duck Exp at lvl 15 since I want to save more IP)
Runspeed - not a must but nice
CompLit - Grid, NCUs
Treatment - Imps and Kits
Matt Met & BM & SI - top priority - heals and morphs
PsyMod - Profession and General buffs
TS - as needed for higher nano chargers, not a must
MC - Your choice

But theres plenty of guides to check on the official AO forums regarding IP spending. Melee just max 1he and dont touch Fast Attack or Multi Melee until you have a weapon you wish to wear and are short on just as I dont touch Fling/Multi Ranged until I have a set of guns I want
Imatroxdoc, 188/12 Atrox Doctor, Omni, Squad Commander of Band of Little Brothers
Ruffixx, 136/13 Opifex Fixer, Omni, Unit Member of Obsidian Order

Former account open for now:
Imadoctor, 208/11 Solitus Doctor
Frieloc, 205/8 Soltius Adventurer

All Altantean.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:32 am

With a realy 'on the ball' team & a hotshot Doc, you can do Ninjas at lvl60...
It's realy hectic & there will be deaths, but it's doable with great xp.

Banguela
AOU Webcomic Artist

Post by Banguela » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:44 am

IP WILL be a problem for an ADV. Too many nice stuff to do and not enought IP. At low lvls I never used mat.creat... and other stuff you can live without.

After lvl 150 thou you will have spare to get everything back on place. But if you think in buying SL save as much as you can for lvl 201-205. After 205 you start getting more IP again.

Then after 216 it starts being a problem again...