Is Grid Armor Worth it?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

OTdude

Is Grid Armor Worth it?

Post by OTdude » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Is it really worth it using any type of GA as a fixer?

I've never really seen a big use for it unless you have a level 24 fixer twink with GA-1 on. But other than that, It cost a lot, it does add evades but not as much AC's as normal armor, and I've seen a lot of fixer twinks that dont even use GA and can pwn anything in totw. But im not talking mainly about twinks, just in general.

I'm personally not a very big fan of it, some of my friends arn't either, and agian.... its cost A LOT! for me anyway.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:25 pm

The trick is that with enough evades mobs don't hit you (that much). Thus not such need for ACs.

As for cost vs value...sorry, can't help you there.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Dabblez

Post by Dabblez » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:14 pm

Bear in mind, this is all second hand knowledge so take it with a pinch of salt.

A lot of fixers skip GA 1 because chances are you will out level it very soon. GA2 and GA3 howerver are a different matter.

That said, GA is very effective and will make you near unkillable in PVE on Rubi-Ka. I doubt there is a better option for a froob.

The cost in credits I don't see as such a big deal. Your mileage may vary but after a while credits become easy to come by.

The cost in terms of IP is significant. GA use nanoskill which have no other use for fixers, and as all nanoskills are dark blue to fixers it becomes a serious IP sink.

GA4 is still very rare.

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:21 pm

I have a GA IV fixer. There are things he can do that NO other froob profession can do. He can tank 200 dyna bosses with ease (ever since level 130 or so), Tab-Q-afk on almost any enemy, and shrug off nano-programs and roots like they didn't exist. ACs do not matter, because you rarely get hit, although you CAN get some items that boost ACs compatible with GA (Head Skinchips, especially the Quartus/Tertius/Secondus/Primus series). It's not God Mode, but it's as close as you can get.

GA I, unless you have an ultra-low PvP twink, is not worth much in PvM... the only bosses that you can tank are subway level, and even then, you will still get squished by Abmouth. GA II is useful for ToTW level ranges, but you can continue to use it beyond then. I have a friend who used GA II all the way up to level 160 before upgrading to GA IV. He had very little problems with staying alive, although this is partly due to his excellent AAD implant setup. GA III will give you the means to tank all of the Foreman's bosses without problems.

As far as cost/benefit, it depends on what range you are talking about. 100m for GA IV (the current RK1 price) is on-par for an endgame set of armor (Try buying a set of Dragonflesh or a Cloak of the Wandering Knight sometime), since once you are able to cast it, you won't ever have to wear another suit of armor again. The only other costly thing for Froob fixers are Blackbirds, and you can get a pair of Blinded Blackbirds for 4m. Even the QL 100 Blackbirds tend to be 30m for a pair, and you can resell them when you want to upgrade to a higher Blackbird.

GA IV is also one of the very few ways that Froobs can be competitive at PvP above TL4. A GA IV fixer, with or without expansions, is hard to hit with perks and regular attacks. Your only two vulnerabilities are NTs (death to Fixers!) and Aimed Shot (and you can't be Alpha'ed with Aimed Shot).

Because of the investment in Matter Creation, I would highly NOT suggest retrofitting GA on an existing fixer that isn't built for it. If you want to create a GA fixer, I would suggest building a fixer from the ground up with Grid Armor in mind.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:38 am

Well...

I was just thinking of a level 60 fixer twink, no GA, but good armor, and a ql100 BlackBird if i can get it on. If i cant, ill just get the best gun i can get on, on.

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:27 pm

But say i made a new fixer, specifically for GA, what satas would i wanna get up?

I only know the stats i should max/ raise when needed for a non-GA fixer.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:12 pm

Look at what stats you need to use what you want, such as weapons, the GA you want to use & the other stuff, that will tell you what you need... It's that simple!

What isn't simple is actualy getting there lol
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:19 pm

the only stat difference between GA fixer and Non GA fixer would be matter creation, as thats not used for anything but GA (thats useful, smuggle nanos dont count!)

however even if it is just 1 stat its a dark blue one so you may have to consider not raising certain other skills unless you really need it (aka no break and entry for you! and certainly no swimming)

As for whether grid armour is worth it... well if your a froob or not planning on going to shadowlands for along long time then yes, it most definitly is. What a lot of people don't realise is that its not the small amount of evades that it gives you thats important but the large amounts of defense modifier.

This basically means that in full defense mode unless against a hight attack rating enemy (such as high level soldiers or special bosses) you will have almost 100% evasion rate.

However be warned, you will still get hit occasionally, and when you do its going to hurt... lots, which in its self isn't too bad as you have hots healing and in most cases you will be fully healed before the next lucky hit lands but in some cases you can find yourself getting hit once and then from that one hit taking more and more hits (I think funcom programmed that in darn them... or atleast it feels like it some times)

Of course make sure that if you play in long sessions that you keep a mind about the timer, Grid armour times out every 6-8 hours (i forget wich, thinking 6) and this happens usually just as you start shooting a boss (yeah funcom must pay a guy to turn peoples ga's off)

all in all, its definitly worth it if you have the money or can get the money or find it, not really worth obsessing over mind, your best of keeping to normal armour untill you can get the credits easily (so when you can blitz a higher level anima to farm sell to shop, this gets easier once you've bought the GA aswell so upgradings slightly easier also means that it pays for its self)

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:45 pm

ok, but no one really answered my question...

What stats do i need to raise? As in listing them here or in a PM.

The stats i raise are all abilities cept phychic (maxed cept str. is about 4/5), Body dev (almost half), nano pool (about 2/3), MG/SMG(max), Burst(max), CL (max) and all nano & aiding skills cept Matter crea and First Aid (max). so...

can someone please do that. if u have a GA and isn't that gimp. please :wink: