couple quick questions

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Gringo

couple quick questions

Post by Gringo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 am

Ok I have two basic questions im really interested in before I get to attached to any characters.

1. Is there any advantage to being clan?

It seems to me like omni-tek has all the advantages and you are almost gimping yourself by being clan.

2. Is there any advantages to playing one server over the other?

Id be happy to hear any opinions on these questions.

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:03 am

Clan, Omni, and Neutral all have faction-specific equipment that no other faction can use, and Clan and Omni have equipment that cannot be used by the other side (but Neutrals can use them). There are way too many items to list here, but in general, the main advantage of joining either side is having access to that side's XP bonus (depending on how well they are doing in Notum Wars) and that side's Token Board. Neutrals generally have the worst XP bonus and have very limited neck slot items, but they get access to all of the chat channels and are only shot on sight by guards at Tir.

My take is that "the grass is always greener in somebody else's lawn." Meaning, you'll always find something to complain about regardless of what faction you are playing. Omnis will moan about not having the Unionist Arbalest, Clan guards that get trained to ToTW, the Pilgrim armor that seems to drop from every dyna, etc. Clanners will complain about not having Kinetic Sleeves, the fact that Foreman's is Omni, the Omni-Pol armor that seems to drop from every dyna, worse shop prices, etc. Neutrals will whine that every good thing in the game seems to be faction-locked (ignoring the fact that they can often choose between both sides for some equipment), their low XP sided bonus, the lack of neck items, etc. Each of the sides have their own advantages and disadvantages, but there's nothing that's game-breaking for any of the factions.

As far as servers, RK1 and RK2 are roughly analogous in almost every way (RK3 is German and has a lower population). The only major difference I've found is the player-sold items. RK2 tends to be cheaper than RK1. This is a double-edged sword, as you can sell items for MUCH higher than on RK1 (about twice as much), but you also have to buy items for higher. You will get compensated more for blitzing services, for tips, etc. on RK1 than on RK2. Prices are stable, but they are inflated. Note that this doesn't apply to everything (Carbonum Armor, for example, is relatively stable across both servers at 10k per QL for a full suit up to around QL 90, and Notum Chips/Fragments sell regularly at 1k per QL on both servers)... it is simply a trend that I've noticed between the two. There are some subjective differences, but this can mostly be chalked up to personal preference and inaccurate biased reports rather than any real differences between the dimensions.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Gringo

Post by Gringo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:25 pm

Cool, thanks very much for the info.