Solar-Powered Pistol upgrade for Adventurers

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

OlowNon

Solar-Powered Pistol upgrade for Adventurers

Post by OlowNon » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:15 am

I've seen conflicting info as to whether the QL 1 Solar-Powered Adventuring Pistol can be upgraded to the Solar-Powered Tinker Pistol. Can someone please give me a definite answer before I try?

If it can't be done, are there any upgrade options for the QL 1 Solar-Powered Adventuring Pistol after you've left newbie island? I need an upgrade, and am weighing my options...

Thanks.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:26 am

Check our guide here
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

OlowNon

Checking the Guide...

Post by OlowNon » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:44 am

I saw that, thanks (very nice Guide too). But it doesn't really answer my question unless I'm just looking in the wrong place, or unless those items are also available outside of newbie island.

I understand that I could have upgraded to the QL 1 Electrical Surge Pistol -- but are Antonio's Adaptation Factory and the Power Supply (Cargo Droid) also available from "mainland" shops?

Regardless, the QL 1 Electrical Surge Pistol looks pretty weak, unless that in turn is upgradable to the Tinker Pistol. Is that doable?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:29 pm

Yes, you can build Tinker Pistol, just not from Adventuring one. You need Engy gun for that.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:10 pm

No, the adventuring pistol can't be made into the engi gun, but if you've left the island, all is not lost, you can manufacture the basic Electrical Surge Pistol from scratch (bit of a mess on but...).

Just drop any item of the engi pistol into recipebot & it will show you the whole process (I'll try to get you the exact code (I have one last step to go on mine & have the parts...)).

OlowNon

From gun upgrades to item combinations in general...

Post by OlowNon » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:16 pm

OK, since I've already left newbie island, my solar-powered adventurer's gun is not upgradable, is that what I'm hearing? That seems lame...

Is it worth creating the trader gun from scratch (of course, I'd have to buy/locate everything...)?

Also, is there a master list anywhere of what items are upgradable, or that will combine with other items to make something new? AO's a lot of fun, but all this hunting for information and answers gets a bit much after a while...

For example, there are all the unique items in the subway -- what do those make? I can't seem to combine them into anything.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:35 pm

No, you can't make trader gun.

As for unique stuff from subway, there are (were) for Ergo quest for +1 ring. Problem is that if you're on free expansion, you can't use it and that one out of 4 items needed doesn't drop.

Eomaia

Post by Eomaia » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:00 am

The items found and tradeskilled on n00b island are initially nice but are intended to give you a taste of tradeskilling, missions, hunting dynacamp bosses, some team play and not much else. It's my opinion that in most cases, you don't really want to waste a lot of IPs on tradeskills until you hit L150 and beyond. Up until then, it's better to have someone tradeskill things for you if the final result doesn't have the NODROP flag. After you hit L15, you'll be able to find much better items through missions anyway.
Nanomage Meta-Physicist, Level 207, Section 4 (on contract with Chaotic Order,) Atlantean (RK1)

Thraktor

Post by Thraktor » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:18 pm

Geez, guys, watch the terminology. You're confusing this guy.

Here it is straight: the Solar-Powered Adventuring Pistol is ONLY upgradable to the Electrical Surge Pistol. Once you're off the island, there is no way to upgrade it unless you already have Antonio's Adaptation Factory (it's nodrop) and can get another character to get the other ingredients for you from the island.

You CAN create the Solar-Powered Tinker pistol (not the "trader gun", not really sure what that is) WITHOUT being an engineer. My advy made one. The Tinker pistol will level to QL 39, but your "levelability" is based on your Weapon Smithing tradeskill, and as Eomaia said that's something you might not want to improve yet. Until you do, the Tinker pistol isn't really much better than the Electrical Surge Pistol, except that it does Fire damage rather than Projectile. It's also not dual-wieldable like the Electrical Surge Pistol is.

But since you missed out on the ESP, take a shot. The Tinker is a bit better than either the Solar-Powered Adventuring Pistol or the Solar-Powered Pistol. But before you can level this gun substantially, you'll probably find something better elsewhere. I only keep mine as a backup in case I should run out of ammo for my "real" weapons.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:13 am

Thraktor wrote:(not the "trader gun", not really sure what that is)
Guess he meant Solar Powered-Shotgun + Screwdriver = Improved Solar Trader Shotgun

OlowNon, don't worry about mistakes you might made or already have. Game is quite complicated and all it matters is that you learn from mistakes. Most players discard (stop playing, delete, whatever) their first char. Still, I would suggest you stick with first char till level 50ish, since professional choices and rolls evolve with every nano you upload (also perks if you have expansions). I'm a slow learner, so I got rid of mine first char at lvl 70 ;)

On master list: nope, there isn't one, but we're working on it ;)

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:47 am

Thraktor wrote:Until you do, the Tinker pistol isn't really much better than the Electrical Surge Pistol, except that it does Fire damage rather than Projectile. It's also not dual-wieldable like the Electrical Surge Pistol is.
May I add, that the "Engineer" pistols are indeed dual wieldable with any other pistol that can be equipped in the left hand slot? So no, you can't wear two of the beauties, but you can wear a Tinker Pistol in your right and an Electrical Surge Pistol in your left hand.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:24 pm

I will also add that there's a tradeskill machine in Org City HQs that add to all your tradeskills (160 for a Large HQ).
This can be used to help you build & leaver on the Engi Pistol, just be careful not to level it too far...!
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!