Totally New Player with some questions

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Xzile

Totally New Player with some questions

Post by Xzile » Wed May 09, 2007 11:42 am

Hi there, I currently play EvE online (and have done for about 3 years) and I'm looking for a game to play when my corp isn't pvping (which is all that i do now). It's a tossup between this and SwG.

I have played pretty much all MMOs to endgame except AO which I have never had any experience of. I have some questions if anyone can help:

1) How is the player base now? This is obv an old game so I would imagine it's losing players. (I still play UO from time to time so i feel the effect of this)
2) Is the levelling system pretty much just grinding or is there a quest system in place?
3) Is soloing doable? I play at weird times and soloing must be possible for me.
4) What are classes I can solo with?
5) How easy is it for a new player to get involved? I played Lineage2 for a bit and it was impossibe due to the fact that everyone had everything. Without ebaying stuff (which i refuse to do) it was pointless. Is this the same in AO?
6) How difficult is it to find a good corporation/guild/organisation/whatever? Are there many about? Do most use TS/Vent?
7) How is the PvP scene? Is pvp available at lower levels even possible? What types of pvp are there? Are there any type of organised group pvp?This is what I always end up doing in MMOs and is really my main focus
8) How gear dependent is the game?
9) Would u start again now?

Thanks much for any replies. Will prolly login for the first time tonight and have a look around!

darksky2333

Post by darksky2333 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:48 pm

Hello, and welcome to AO. If you mean player based like how many people play then, alot do. I still say more then 5k. The level system is that you kill some monsters, you get xp and you level after awhile. There are quest involed for aditional items. Yes, Soloing is very doable, if you have the right prof. All up to you and what you like for me I use a sol, but many people like enfo to solo, since they do shit load of damage. If you start from scratch, it takes some time but then agian we all did so in a sort amout of time. Yes, many orgs about even mine, Dark Storm. I dont know what you mean by T/S, Vent tho sorry. Yes loads of pvping around. They even have a arena, and a battle station for it. My org does pvp each other, and other people but, not sure about many others. Gear is easly found if you got creds, which is needed to get good gear. I would start again now of course. PS: any questions im on Rubika 2, on my main Sarkin lvl 100 Sol. Send tell at anytime. And Good luck at starting.
Why, do we have the ability to love? If it hurts us so much in the end.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Re: Totally New Player with some questions

Post by Windguaerd » Wed May 09, 2007 3:21 pm

Xzile wrote:Hi there, I currently play EvE online (and have done for about 3 years) and I'm looking for a game to play when my corp isn't pvping (which is all that i do now). It's a tossup between this and SwG.

I have played pretty much all MMOs to endgame except AO which I have never had any experience of. I have some questions if anyone can help:

1) How is the player base now? This is obv an old game so I would imagine it's losing players. (I still play UO from time to time so i feel the effect of this)
2) Is the levelling system pretty much just grinding or is there a quest system in place?
3) Is soloing doable? I play at weird times and soloing must be possible for me.
4) What are classes I can solo with?
5) How easy is it for a new player to get involved? I played Lineage2 for a bit and it was impossibe due to the fact that everyone had everything. Without ebaying stuff (which i refuse to do) it was pointless. Is this the same in AO?
6) How difficult is it to find a good corporation/guild/organisation/whatever? Are there many about? Do most use TS/Vent?
7) How is the PvP scene? Is pvp available at lower levels even possible? What types of pvp are there? Are there any type of organised group pvp?This is what I always end up doing in MMOs and is really my main focus
8) How gear dependent is the game?

Thanks much for any replies. Will prolly login for the first time tonight and have a look around!
1)Still active, there are thousands of posts every day at the Official Forums which only paying customers have access to.

2) Most MMO's require grind, and this one does...however it's geared toward teaming so you make friends and level easier. The quests are usually fun and challenging.

3) Yes you can solo if you pick the right profession.

4) Keeper (needs Shadowlands Expansion), Enforcer, Soldier, Meta-Physicist and Doctor. These professions can go toe to toe with almost anything.

5) Not hard to start, AOU has 300+ guides which would make your start quite easy with quests and encounter guides. There is a learning curve which I would say it's the most difficult of any MMO, there are tons of skills, abilities, perks and procs to make your character better.

6) Plenty of guild let me tell you, and most are open to accept new players. You can look some up at our Guild Database.

7) Personally I only PvP'ed after I reached level 220, but I have seen a lot of PvP at different levels, even level 10.

8) Well equipment is important in every game, MMO or not. The better armor and weapon you have, the better are your chances to win against a mob, simple as that. Fight naked with a stick, you going to get pwned, fight with Kevlar armor and an automatic and your opponent will probably end up dead at your feet.

9) I have. My 220 Keeper is my main, also have a 220 Agent, 214 Bureaucrat, 170 Enforcer, 160 Fixer, 142 Engineer and a level 10 Doctor I started not too long ago.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Gimpeline
LPA Founder

Post by Gimpeline » Wed May 09, 2007 5:46 pm

If you play AO for the first time I recomend MA.
They are cheap to play. You don't have to worry about weapons + They can solo verry well.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed May 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Gimpeline wrote:If you play AO for the first time I recomend MA.
They are cheap to play. You don't have to worry about weapons + They can solo verry well.
Yup, that's the way to do it, by the time your Martial Artist is about level50, you will have a good grasp of the game...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Sferykal

Post by Sferykal » Fri May 11, 2007 2:59 pm

4) Keeper (needs Shadowlands Expansion), Enforcer, Soldier, Meta-Physicist and Doctor. These professions can go toe to toe with almost anything.
As a froobie this list isn't quite hitting the mark, aside of MP (Meta-Physicist). It depends on your level and equipment (yes, equipment can make a huge difference), but in general I would suggest either one of the pet professions (MPs (access to healpet!), Engineers and (Bureau)Crats) or non-pet professions like Fixers (especially with GA, Grid Armor), MAs (Martial Artists) and Adventurers. MAs have the advantage of not requiring a weapon (they have their fists), in return you have to meddle with special attacks, which counters the whole weapon thing again.

Enforcers and soldiers have problems in one way or another (and only minor healings, if any); Doctors, while being the best healers, are not really good damage dealers: Watching paint dry is a nice way to describe the whole thing.

Why have they been listed then in the first place? There are huge differences between froobies (those who have only access to classic AO + Notum Wars expansion) and paying players, which get additional abilities (perks), and way more powerful equipment. The higher level you go, the more visible these differences become (and yes, that includes PvP, too).

PvP itself happens at more or less all levels, although, thanks to certain level boundaries applied by dungeons, towers (tower areas can be fought over, they give bonuses if you planted a tower) and other means you have certain levels which "attract" a bigger PvP crowd than others. PvPing is level-locked as in you can PvP only people within a certain level range. The whole thing usually includes some kind of "twinking", which is done in a pretty unique way compared to other MMORPGs. TS/Vent may be included, it depends on the guild ("organization"/"org") you are in and/or the people you are around with.

ko3000

Re: Totally New Player with some questions

Post by ko3000 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Xzile wrote:2) Is the levelling system pretty much just grinding or is there a quest system in place?
2) well I just started & quests are giving me a decent amount of exp.
3) So far I'm playing solo no prob, can only guess it might become an issue later with more difficult missions that require teams.
9) ummm...just started myself :lol:
Character: Cyberforge