Question about Some Stats and Vehicles

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

kamolahy

Question about Some Stats and Vehicles

Post by kamolahy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:16 pm

I'm a N00b...

Okay, so I want a vehicle.. however, everytime I ask a questions about getting one, i get laughed at... so I have questions.

1. Should I ONLY put points in Air vehicles??
2. Should I be putting points into vehicles already?
3. How high should I take run speed before I'm just making it too much?

Demenzia

Post by Demenzia » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:48 pm

1. Actually, don't put anything in unless you have a Yalm in your inventory. (Look for the lowest QL you can find, too -- cost should be around 5 millions -- not only to avoid wastin money, but also because higher QL means higher requs in Vehicla Air, and IPs are already scarce enough as it is without adding this to the planned expense, so to say).

2. Only if you wish to use other (ground/water) vehicles. But except for the looks, the only really useful vehicle is the Yalmaha.

3. Depends on your profession, since this influences the cost of that skill. (I play a Fixer, so of course I regularly put points in, but I doubt that a MP, for instance, has a real need to max it.)
Heart of Darkness - Anarchy Reloaded
[img]http://paradygma.com/img/ao/demsig.gif[/img]
Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Re: Question about Some Stats and Vehicles

Post by Windguaerd » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:02 pm

kamolahy wrote:I'm a N00b...

Okay, so I want a vehicle.. however, everytime I ask a questions about getting one, i get laughed at... so I have questions.

1. Yes
2. No
3. Max it, if you try to run away from a mob that is too hard you need to outrun it to make it.

The lowest QL yalm has a VA 81 req, you can get lucky and find between 81-85 quality by "camping" a shop. If the shop is EMPTY the stock recycles every 3 mins. You can go into a shop, check, go out, wait 3mins, go back in until you find a low QL yalm. Be ready, this can take a while but worth it.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:03 pm

We actually have a vehicle guide here http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?sit ... nk=0&id=22

As Dem said though, it really is not worth investing IP until you have the Yalm, and even then.. consider if you have any cluster spots free in your implants so you can add to the Vehicle Air. IP is precious .. if you can get away without putting too much into it, then it will be better for you in the long run.

I believe the lowest QL Yalm takes just 81 Vehicle Air. This is the one you can buy for up to 5m depending on your Computer Literacy. It is possible to have enough skill in your basic abilities to not require much or any in vehicle air at all :)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:13 pm

There are also a few items that add VA, these should be looked into also, but there's no real reason to put IP into VA unless you want a Yalmaha realy early on, by lvl50 you should be able to hop in & out of one without even thinking about it...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Nadab

Post by Nadab » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:01 pm

Also you can use recipebot to find VA shops.... use /tell recipebot recipe... Look in Information Tools.... Vehicle shops
Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich********Corporal, Omni-Pol Field Ops**********T-Sgt1C Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, retired"If I'm the agent Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?"Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Thraktor

Post by Thraktor » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:42 am

Agree with Demenzia and Ukblizzard, disagree with Windkeeper.
Depends. Air vehicles tend to be faster than ground and water vehicles (depending on ql), and have the added advantage that they can hover above the reach of angry mobs and can fly over some (but NOT all) areas that are not accessible by walking/running/driving. I definitely would advise against water vehicles, there's just not that much water on a desert planet, and I wouldn't advise trying to raise more than one vehicle skill. For some people, a ground vehicle is fast enough, and cheaper. Consider how expensive it will be for you to raise your VA compared to VG (or VW). There is also the sheer coolness of owning a Yalm, but I hoped you were trying to be practical.
Like Dem said, don't spend the IP until you actually have a vehicle, then work towards that vehicle. Like UK and Snake said, there are imps, nanos, weapons and armor that buff various vehicle skills, perhaps making it cheaper to reach your needed skill lvl without spending IP. And raising the Abilities that contribute to runspeed and your chosen vehicle skill will help too, and benefit you in other ways as well.
The decision on how much IP to put into runspeed should be based on the expense of raising it and whether speed is important to your prof. Windkeeper's assertion that you should "max" it just to flee mobs should be taken with a very large grain of salt. Most mobs don't run that fast, and getting into the habit of causing trains will piss off your fellow players and likely get a lot more toons killed than just yourself. I max it at low lvls until it becomes difficult to continue doing so. I still max it for my Opi Fixer; for my Advy, Enfo, Soldier and Trader (all Soli or Trox), I shoot for about 2 runspeed per lvl on average, more if I have any IP left over, less if I need to put IP somewhere else. There are also imps, nanos and devices that buff runspeed. I find about 2/3 to 3/4 my potential runspeed is usually sufficient.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:24 pm

As for speed, it depends on your style of play, my engi had absolutely atrocious RS till about lvl160 (cos I hid round corners & sent the bot in lol), when I found that Pen & Inf Mission mobs will happily come open the door you're hiding behind & kick your backside for you whilst ignoring your bot totaly!!! :lol:
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!