I'm baaaaack!

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

I'm baaaaack!

Post by Windguaerd » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:40 pm

Hurricane Wilma took down my backyard's tree off it's roots, took half the shingles off the roof....and managed to do severe damage to the Broward County area (the hardest hit) where I live.

Today is the first day in a week that I have electricity, water was polluted for half a week.

Good news...I'm back.

Bad news...my monitor is about to die with no current funds to find a replacement. Any suggestions to get a freebie monitor is welcomed =D
Last edited by Windguaerd on Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:03 pm

Smash it and blame the hurricane? If your insurance covers electronics too, that is.

Other than including some adds on site (you know, like this site is moderated on high-resolution 23" monitor from XX) is hard to get freebies that size.

Shame you're overseas, otherways I could ship you some run down one myself, but as it is, shipment would probably cost more than new monitor. But where I live, companies sell outdated hardware for tiny costs....it's usually ancient stuff, but 14" or 15" ones are better than nothing.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:34 pm

Welcome back ;)

A way to buy a cheap monitor? Hmmm, Ebay maybe? Probably hard to find a good dealer there though. I only bought something from Ebay once, and that was a battery-recharger with batteries for (back those days) 10DM (which is about 5?â?ó?óÔé¼?í?é?¼ today)...

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:47 pm

Grats on your deliverance!

Yeah, the insurance thing is probably the best idea...

Try for 2nd hand stuff from computer shops.
Or go to a 'mom & pop' computer shop & try for instalments on one.

Over here we have 'Computer Fairs' where you can buy cheap stuff, other than that...

There's always the dreaded... Catalogue... Costs more than it should but you can get something expensive for a small payment each month.

Nyton

Post by Nyton » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:45 pm

Welcome back