Why spoil the mystery?

Got an idea for a site feature, a suggestion for an article, or spotted an error we made, feel free to post it here.
Guests can post here!
Sloshmonger

Why spoil the mystery?

Post by Sloshmonger » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:08 pm

Since Anarchy is an old game, there is documentation on nearly everything available. That's to be expected, and is generally a good thing. Reading the AOU guide to Sword of Dawn/Dusk, though, I was disappointed to see pictures of Pandemonium & The Beast.

I worked for a year and a half to get my first character up to a level where getting to Pande was even an option, and though I had read some things about it, I had never seen a screenshot of it. I wanted it to be a mystery, for the feeling when encountering something I hadn't seen yet, when I had seen nearly everything.

The first time my eyes saw The Beast, it was when he appeared out of nowhere in the midst of a blueish glow. As the band of raiders gathered around him, preparing to confront him, I relished the anticipation of the moment when my blade would sink into him for the first time.

I doubt I am the only one who felt that way, and I am sure that more after me will as well. So I ask you, please, do not spoil that mystery; do not reveal everything; leave that little that's left of the unknown to those who would have a chance to discover it.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:18 am

Good feelings, however, our guides are clearly listed... So anyone finding a pic of The Beast will have found it by looking for a guide that includes him...
Last edited by Snakebite on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:35 am

Yes, seeing and doing something for first time has it's charm. But those guides are a spoilers of a kind. Everyone has an option....to figure stuff out by themself, ask peeps ingame or read up on task involved. Figuring out stuff takes up a lot of time. Asking peeps...that's a lotery really, they might or might not know or even give wrong info. Guides are safest way, since they are written down and usually someone stands behing info given. But that also means that usually no part of info is left out (unless author takes something for granted).

What I'm trying to say is that not everything in AO makes sense or have any meaningfull leads. So guides = spoilers. Purpose of them is to prevent players getting frustrated with some task.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Stillian

Post by Stillian » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:38 pm

Our job is to properly portray and guide the areas of the game. That guide is quite clear, and if spoilers aren't wanted, it's quite easy to hit the little X.
Stillian, 217/19 Doctor of Hells Heroes

former AOU Researcher