Desert Nomads and the Desert Rider
Faction: All Factions
Level: All Levels
Quicklink (copy this):
Every year in June, a mischievous engineer known as the Tinker shows up at
These items can be found on nomads that roam the deserts of Rubi-Ka, for example at the following locations:
- Level 1-30 Newland Desert; the desert west of Stolt's Trading Outpost and Meetmedere.
- Level 100-150: Broken Shores; the desert north of the City of Home.
- Level 150-200: Mort; the desert roughly between fgrid exits 9-M and 9-R.
- Level 225-300: Perpetual Wastelands; around Sabulum.
While out hunting for them, you might also keep an eye out for Desert Nomad Armor. They drop it in very wide QL range, up to about 50% above and below their level.
When you have collected a few of these items, you can hand them in to the Tinker. When she has 500 items, she has enough to build a large birthday present for the Desert Rider, which will lure him to Stolt's Outpost. You don't have to collect all these items yourself; everyone contributes to the total.
For each item you hand in, you receive one Tinker Token. When you have collected 250 of these tokens, you can trade them with her for a Vacuum Packed Desert Nomad Armor, which contains a full set of QL 300 Desert Nomad armour.
Once the Tinker has built the present, the Desert Rider makes his entrance and this is announced by a serverwide message:
The Desert Rider has arrived! Hurry to coordinates X: 2232 Z:1586 in Newland Desert. You should use the whompah.
The Desert Rider is a nomad, riding a very large desert animal, similar to the Dragon Riders you might encounter in Mort. He is escorted by a few nomads on foot, who are sent forward to inspect the Tinker's present. The birthday present turns out to be trapped and explodes, killing the nomads. After this, the Desert Rider becomes aggressive.
The Desert Rider approaches the birthday present
During the fight, the Desert Rider will spawn Fanatic Desert Nomads, which explode and cause a lot of AOE damage, unless you kill them in time. If you are low level, this may kill you in one hit, so it might be advisable to stay at a safe distance.
The Desert Rider drops the following items:
After the Desert Rider dies, a large green Gift of the Desert Rider spawns in his place. If you stand close to it, you will receive a random reward. The gift is there for a few minutes. Possible rewards include: (there are too many to list them all)
Note that all of these items, with the exception of the Yalmaha Clio, the Vacuum Packed Desert Nomad Armor and Orchid Plasteel armour, may also drop from the fanatics.
The Gift of the Desert Rider spawns when he is defeated
After the Desert Rider has been killed, a beacon spawns
This fortification is filled with many desert nomads, which may drop the following special loot:
Rusted Carbonum armour pieces will drop in a small QL range around your own level.
Besides the regular desert nomads, there are four bosses inside:
- Desert Gourmand
- Desert Warden
- Desert Commander
- Prototype Infiltration Unit
The Prototype Infiltration Unit
These bosses may drop the following special loot:
Elite Desert Nomad armour pieces will drop in a small QL range around your own level.
Besides the beacon to enter the Desert Nomad Fortification, a second beacon spawns after the rider dies. This one spawns
The Arena consists of a single, large room with a placeholder boss called The Matador. Defeating him should be relatively straightforward. Although he hits hard, he doesn't have any special abilities. Once defeated, a monster called The Carbonum Bull spawns. He is quite a bit more difficult to manage and uses the following specials:
- Casts a nano drain that empties your nano pool.
- Runs Defensive Protocol (Azure, Crimson, Verdant, Saffron): a 200% reflect shield against Fire, Cold and Poison damage. Other damage types are not affected. The mechanics of this are not quite clear to me yet, but it may have something to do with the alcoves in the corners of the room or the Drones that spawn there. If you can switch to a damage type that is not affected, that would probably be the easiest way to deal with it.
- Spawns a Heat Beam; a path of fire straight through the room. Avoid standing in this or you will take a lot of damage.
- Spawns drones, such as Assault Drones and Unstable Sentry Drones. It is advisable to kill these quickly.
- Spawns Medical Drones, which heal the Bull. You should either kill these quickly, or you can render them harmless with Last Minute Negotiations.
- Spawns Thermal Detonators, which lock on on a target and explode, like Alien Seekers. You should avoid them, or you can render them harmless with Last Minute Negotiations
- Traps people in a Stasis Containment Field; while trapped, that player is stunned. The rest of the team should destroy (kill) this laser cage.
The Carbonum Bull
The Carbonum Bull may drop the following loot. Once aoitems.com is updated, item links will be added.
Overtuned Freedom Arms 3927 Chapman
Guise of the Thief
Fallen King's Crown
The Bull's Ring of Restoration
The Bull's Ring of Literacy
Bone of a Champion
Mausser Particle Railgun
Digummy SharpShuut's Jacket
Written by Saavick.
Do you have questions about this article or found an error? 2 comment(s) - Click here to view them!