If AO's gonna survive this should happen....................

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Scarwound5

Post by Scarwound5 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 pm

I have new expansion ideas:

How bout we expand Rubi Ka

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Another idea!

Post by Windguaerd » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:26 pm

Not an expansion, more of a booster pack.

Ehem!...

Coming soon to a holo-theater near you...

Mantis Nightmare!

Rubikans have looked up at the sky at their most formidable alien enemies, on the ground to the Dust Brigade movement yet...they have forgotten an old threat, beneath their own feet.

While clanners, neutrals and omnis were busy dealing with obvious threats miles underground a new Mantis Queen has spawned a new colony of mantis. Under normal circunstances they would be just at dangerous as their counterparts near the surface who live in caves.

However radiation has caused them to mutate, not only changing the color and size of their bodies but strengthening them, and enhancing their communication skills and ferocity in battle.

This queen is smarter than the old one located near the Smuggler's Den. She has instructed her diggers to spread her underground territory through many tunnels near cities of all factions.

In a matter of weeks all will be ready for her strike against the humanoids who control the surface, a world she thinks belongs to her species to have, and control.

All this would have been a surprise, had not a small group of explorers accidentally discovered one of the tunnels near Tir. Barely escaping with their lives after confronting several mantis diggers their report to the Council of Truth started an investigation made them realize the magnitude of the threat.

The CoT declared an emergency session and with the support of the Legacy Clans they decided to share the information with the Newland City Council and even Omni-Tek.

Now all factions prepare for a preemptive attack against the new Mantis army.

The plan, simple. Enter the tunnels, push back the mantis to their colony and collapss all the tunnels before using an EMT (Emergency Medical Teleport) out of there, leaving them buried and hopefully dead.

Will you enter the dark tunnels and try to save Rubi-Ka once again?
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

KGrob

Post by KGrob » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm a new player...less than a week...in fact, this last weekend was the first time I've played the game.

I've played many other games going back to Ultima Online all the way up to games like Dark Age of Camelot and Everquest 2. I've always had at least two or three accounts to some online game since UO. We normally play a game for two or three years and then move on to something else.

The Good: The game is very fun. Lots to do. Lots to see. Good players. I love the Sci-Fi aspect of the game (fantasy got old). In-Game help has been very good. We plan on keeping it for awhile.

The Bad: Seems to lag often. Graphics aren't even in the same universe as EQ2. One of my characters got stuck in the game on my opening weekend and I couldn't sign on to the game and and I had to start a character on the other server. Although, I noticed that the first working day (this morning), they, did manage to get it unstuck.

The Ugly: It was very hard to buy the game online and get it downloaded and begin play...it is simply not clear what to download, where to download it from, how to proceed, etc. Once I figured it out, I had it downloaded and running within a half hour...but it took several hours to figure out. Yes, if you have worked with AO a lot, it probably would have been easy...but FunCom should take note of this...totally new people won't know how to steer thought the maze of screens and information to get to the proper sign-on / download area. I would fix this immediately.

The Super Uber Stellar: Those $5 Shadowlands subscriptions...Wow!...how can you beat that? I bought three of those right off on the first day. And I've been playing with my two kids. They love it. It's fun to be able to play in a group with your kids.

Overall, a few problems...but I give it the big thumbs up for now.

ISAWHIM

Post by ISAWHIM » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Wow, what a read...

Hope the creators see these posts. Pitty, I just found out that the "Forums" for the game, are only for paying customers. Must be why there are so few posts. Glad that this site is here to compensate!

Well, in my first week of play, these are my observations, from a low level, where 100% of the customer-base is created. (No-one starts at level 200, and if they played that long, I am quite sure level-locks are the last thing on their mind... They are already addicted, or have just mobbed every dungeon, and thus, locks are an issue. Not to mention, they are the reasons the levels are locked. As they should be. You don't let teens into a strip-club... and you don't let adults play in the ball-room at McDonalds... Restrictions are a part of life, get over it!)

Ok, now that I have officially upset 2% of the players...

What changes I think, need to be done, to get more people past the "Learning curve".

Um... First remove as much of the complexity as possible. Having a fully customizable interface is neat, but hardly needed. Create a separate "EDIT MODE", where the buttons slip and slide and move... The panels moving, when you are in the middle of battle, or normal game-play is frustrating! Nothing is worse than the mouse accidentally grabbing the title of your SIDE-MAP, and dropping it directly into the middle of the screen, where you are attempting to click on a creature that is chewing your foot off. (That happens when you try to move the view, but the camera auto-returns to make you face the thing you are fighting.)

Um... As per that lat line... Remove the code that forces the camera view to return to the creature you are fighting! We are looking for an exit, or a better creature to fight, or trying to loot while we battle, or focus on a friend, and the darn camera zipps back around, and throws any creature that is attacking me, right back in front of my face... Do that once, at the beginning of the battle, not every time the stupid thing hits you!

Um... F1 to target yourself, before attempting to DOSE yourself with a YOU-ONLY item is redundant... If it can only be used on you, then use it on you! Seriously, I have to tell you to heal myself, and not the creature I am fighting! I am sure it is safe to assume, that if I need health, and I have not specifically selected a friendly target... that I might be trying to heal myself.

Um... If I am full of health... and accidentally hit a health-stim or med-kit... Don't use it! I am full, and OBVIOUSLY did not want to heal myself.

Um... If I am Juiced-up with a buff... Say +5 something... and I hit (Juice +5) again... don't use it! I am already buff! Ok, that is open for debate. Also, if I am +5, and I hit +2 (Not the same exact buff, but same bonus.) do not downgrade that buff to the +2... Don't use it at all. (Talking about exact similar ones, inferior-health, flawed-health, great-health, super-health. +2, +5, +10, +20, +40, etc...)

Um... Create a better name-scheme, which is consistent, and commonly know as being leveled. This one deserves explanation, as it is not easy to explain.

EG, Case 1 (inferior..., flawed..., worn..., ???...., great..., superior...)
EG, Case 2 (flawed..., imperfect..., inferior..., quality..., perfect...)

Um... See the swapped orders, and non-standard names, and obvious equality issues?

(flaw = imperfect = inferior = lesser = worn = bad)

That is just confusing, and a waste of space. Call a shoe, a "Shoe", and the numbers and price will tell me how "Imperfect" it might be. If you must... say, "Shoe, (Q5)" or "Shoe, (Q250)"... Not on just half the items, do it to ALL the items, except UNIQUE, and items which have no level. The quality is 1, but a "Lock-Pick, (Q1)", should just say, "Lock-Pick".

Um... Kill those crazy paragraph-long item titles. "Zarganchaway imperfect boots from Trastivar"... Seriously... "Boots (Q200)", with the description being, "A low quality pair of Zarganchaway boots, from Travistar." In our heads, there are obviously more words then one can posibly remember, so names are not worth the effort of the reading. We are not going to know "Tristar boots" from "Flasward boots" from "Smixnar boots" from "Blisnop boots" from "Equestar boots" from "Slingnex boots".

All we see is... "Blah blah BOOTS blah blah" (Now what's inside?)

Icons are great!, they say more than words... Just stop using different words for the same icons. If all those boots have one icon... They might as well have all said... "Blah blah BOOTS blah blah"...

Um... Show people STUFF THEY CAN USE, starting from the things they own (Which you should NOT show.), and working up to possibly the next three level-sets, of stuff they MIGHT be able to use in a few levels.

No-one wants to walk into mega-mart, and see billions of choices of videos. They like Blitz-Buster, because they have pulled the NEW-RELEASES, and have a whole section of OLD-POPULAR videos, without frying your brain, sifting through 90% of the junk you can't use, to get to the scattered 10% you can use.

We still want to see what we might get in the future, and we want to see all the things from what we have now... up to the LIMITED selection of future purchases.

We do NOT want to see junk we have already purchased, especially if it is unique items, which we can only have one of. (Like the starter maps, or any maps! If we have a map to "Snork-ville" used, or in our inventory, and we can only have ONE... don't show us that map in the stores, and DON'T let us purchase it, or ask... "You have this item already, are you sure you would like to purchase it again?" Some of us may want to turn that stuff off, to shop for others, where possible.)

Um... Program sympathy-code, and smart-code! Everything in this game is smart, except the drops! Here is a neat trick... Only have your server create "Substitute items", which would be any non-common item. For sympathy, if we are low on health, make more health things pop-up... that we can actually use! (As opposed to making health with requirements above our requirements.) If I have 90% health, 1of10 creatures have health drop. If I have 50% health, 1of5 creatures drop health. If I have 10% health, 1of2 creatures drop health.

Um... From the server-side, simply "Suppress Client-Common Drop", if needed. (Like when a level 200 is trying to MOB with a bunch of level 10 creatures for easy drops.) And, vice-versa... user-side, can suppress item drops, if they are that 10% health, and health is all they want/need at that point. They don't have time to pluck health and another item. (Basically, it just delays that item on the server-side, possibly, "Sympathetically", arising in a server-suppressed drop, when the player has higher health, and time to stop and pluck additional items.)

Smart-code is code that adapts to each unique player. When a creature-container (Dead critter), is dropped... anyone who hit it, can look inside, we do not all see the same things. We see our "Cut" of the kill. You don't hit it, you see nothing inside. If you did hit it a lot... you see more, possibly. If there is something unique to YOUR quest, only the person who has that quest, sees that item. If there is a unique non-quest item, the person who opens the container first, and doesn't have it, gets it given to them in the world-view, not inside the container. (The item floats above, seen only by the player, until that player actually grabs it. Once they grab it, it becomes visible to all, and then they see the delayed "Grab". If that player fails to grab it in 10 seconds, it gets displayed to the game, up for grabs, for an additional ten seconds. Remember, UNIQUE... the player does not have one, if so... they can not grab it/see it... moving to visibility of the first person without it.)

Um... if the container is empty... don't make the body clickable, just fade it away...

Um... when the lat container item is placed into a new location. (Thus it is completely out of the container, not floating on a mouse.) Then close the darn container window immediately.

Um... If you don't have the ability to OPEN a creature container (Body), then don't show the mouse OPEN/USE icon... Show an hourglass or something.

Um... If the killer walks X-Feet away... turn the container into a "Free to open now" container.

Um... If the killer dies... all containers being locked should unlock, so we can loot the dead creatures containers.

Um... If the killer Opened, then Closed the container... Release ownership of it... They have looked, and left... (Even if they didn't take anything. I think it only release now, if they remove an item, and then close the container window.)

Um... Lock party status, once the first member joins, so loot-order is not constantly changed... (All when easy kills, then they switch it to "Greedy me first", when the hard creatures come. And they don't even get all the creatures... then move too fast for anyone to stay and raid!)

Um... That leads to this... Show PARTY-TYPE on the join-pop-up window... Is this an "All loot party", is this a "Me-first party", is this a useless "A-B-C loot party"?

Um... That leads to this... get rid of that stupid A-B-C order looting... Ok, class... Beth, then Bob, then Jim, then Sue, then Tammy... Don't forget... follow the leader! Single line...

Poor Tammy has to wait an hour, if BOB never tries to loot after BETH... EG... low-order-name gets nothing in the whole run of the raid.

Um... If the player has killed this dungeons boss, and has gotten the bosses "Goods"... suppress the treasures from his view, if he looks in the container. (Not permanently, as the player may have legitimately gotten the goods, and accidentally dropped/sold/given them away, not knowing what they were for. If that is the case, they are most-likely a higher level now, and can handle killing ten bosses, to get the treasure they needed.)

Um... Stop dropping sooo much junk! Drop items only a few levels higher, more stuff we can use... (If clan, and that is a clan-creature, then drop a clan item... If not clan, drop more substitute items.) Don't drop level 5 items for a level 200 person, just show them nothing. Let the level 2 guy see the level 5 item in the container, to swipe.

Um... Stop dropping soo many UNIQUE items, if we already have them! How many copper wires and power supplies do I have to see, if I already have one of each, and can't do anything with them! Can't trade them, can't sell them, can't use them... Well, not yet... and I might never use them... will I? What are they for? I am full of unique items I can't seem to use.

Um... Backpacks... KG??? 50 100 200??? Where is items weight located? One would think that a 100 KG pack would have twice as many spaces as the 50 KG pack... Something is wrong there, we don't need more weight, we need more space. I can put 30 backpacks in my inventory, each with 50 KG of items... Is that still 50 KG? Why would I need the pack with the same 30 spaces, for the other 50 KG, when it requires that I have twice the requirement to use it. Wouldn't "Strength" be the determining factor of "Weight" that I can carry? (The difference between a purse and a lunch-box, is that a lunch-box of the same size, holds twice the weight?!?!?!?)

Um... If I need 100 skill to install item XYZ, and my skill falls below 100, then item XYZ should be reduced proportionally in function. EG, if I have cyber-strength +10, and it required that I had 100 skill in strength to install. Now my strength, (Due to buffer / toxin / spell / virus / encumbrance...), is now down to 90... that is 10% less, and the +10 should now be twice the penalty, 20% or -2, to the +10, should be a new bonus of +8 for that item, which shouldn't even be installed, if a buffer was used. Requirements should be for NATURAL skills, not "drug / magic / psychological", skills.... Um... I think I am the hulk, because these drugs make me not feel the pain... I can handle this tank-arm-cybernetic... even though I am actually physically, and mentally still only a pop-eye looking guy... (Thus the double negative to the bonus... The requirements are there for a reason, it takes 100 strength skill to operate that arm, and your 90 strength just won't cut it! Remember, this is progressive values, so 90 to 100 is what? Like 20 points, as opposed ot 10.)

Um... Remove graphic settings that have no positive gain, they just uglify the game, and cause confusion. Not to mention, that many are redundant. You are only changing the game-view, not the actual rendering. Selecting many of the LOW settings you have actually slow-down the game, because you are processing a downgrade, from the original upgrade.

EG... Windows is 32K colors, no-one has 16K colors, that is a display setting for old 386/LCD compatibility. There is no speed gain in the DISPLAY of 16K colors, nor is there any gain from using 16K color images in the graphics card. (It is not 50% gain in memory, because windows has to turn that into 32K, to reduce it in your VIEW-DISPLAY, back into 16K colors.) Trust me... run a RAM monitor, and actually measure frame-rates of each setting to determine if there is any possible gains or losses. If the gain is minimal, remove it, or simply show on the settings, the "Possible" gains as an individual %.

(You measure any gains, by running it with all your setting on full, with one setting turned down... then measure it with all settings down, and that single setting turned up... and compare those gains/losses to the ALL-UP, and ALL-DOWN...)

EG, If you have setting A = 0-100 (0 = off) {You need to measure 1 also.}

All on = 10.45 avg*
- A = 100% (On) 10.45 fps avg*
- A = 1% (On) 10.45 fps avg
- A = 0 (Off) 11.45 fps avg

All off = 600.20 fps avg*
- A = 100% (On) 180.45 fps avg
- A = 1% (On) 317.93 fps avg
- A = 0 (Off) 600.20 fps avg*

That tells you, this setting, with all others off, and this setting on, will severely slow-down your system by almost 50%, just from having it on. Additionally, at 100% the final frame-rate is going to be about 33% of the fastest possible speed. (This setting should just be killed.)

(If you actually recorded this in a pre-run on the users system, you could auto-adjust all the settings, before the game even started. Reducing each settings maximum, to the point where losses are less than 50% from the fastest all-off values, and setting the lowest settings, to the point where losses are less than 10% from the fastest all-off values. If going from [OFF-0] to [ON-1%] is less than 5%, than don't give the option of [OFF-0] for that setting. If the value of [ON-100%], is less than 2%, you might want to just hide that entire option. The losses/gains are marginal for that setting.)

Ok, back to the game...

I know YOU are not the ones who made the game... but this is the only place I can post, since the official forums are only for paying customers, who have already overcome all these issues as normal, or they don't see them as issues.

I speak as someone who is a "Free", "Potential new customer", as someone with money to invest in this in the future. (Personal investment, not like buying stocks.)

Trust me... as technical as I am, if I am having issues with it... then it NEEDS to be K.I.S.S.ed for realistic retail, and faster expansion. (Having a cult following may pay a few peoples bills for a few years, but cults die. Look at Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Starcraft, Civilization, Tetris, DX-Ball, Pac-Man, Rubix, AOL... Now take a look at the opposition, Lego, Google, Micro-Soft, Javascript, HTML, Ford, Hoyle, Sterling... Only mountains like to stay around, and decay after they have grown solid in time. Be a tree, grow slow, with many rings, and spread only as you need to. If you grow too fast, you will topple from your own weight, without that strong rooted base. Keep it simple, because simple is what people pay for. If it is too complex, they feel like they are stupid, because they can't figure it out... no-one wants to pay to feel stupid... Ok, only those people who paid millions for 1-800-dial-an-insult.)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Um... As per that lat line... Remove the code that forces the camera view to return to the creature you are fighting! We are looking for an exit, or a better creature to fight, or trying to loot while we battle, or focus on a friend, and the darn camera zipps back around, and throws any creature that is attacking me, right back in front of my face... Do that once, at the beginning of the battle, not every time the stupid thing hits you!
Turn off 'auto attack'...
Um... If I am full of health... and accidentally hit a health-stim or med-kit... Don't use it! I am full, and OBVIOUSLY did not want to heal myself.
If I'm well, I can still inject antibiotics...
Um... If I am Juiced-up with a buff... Say +5 something... and I hit (Juice +5) again... don't use it! I am already buff! Ok, that is open for debate. Also, if I am +5, and I hit +2 (Not the same exact buff, but same bonus.) do not downgrade that buff to the +2... Don't use it at all. (Talking about exact similar ones, inferior-health, flawed-health, great-health, super-health. +2, +5, +10, +20, +40, etc...)
You can't 'downgrade' a buff, you'll get a message that a better nano is running...
That is just confusing, and a waste of space. Call a shoe, a "Shoe", and the numbers and price will tell me how "Imperfect" it might be. If you must... say, "Shoe, (Q5)" or "Shoe, (Q250)"... Not on just half the items, do it to ALL the items, except UNIQUE, and items which have no level. The quality is 1, but a "Lock-Pick, (Q1)", should just say, "Lock-Pick".
This is for the game, not the players mostly...
Um... Kill those crazy paragraph-long item titles. "Zarganchaway imperfect boots from Trastivar"... Seriously... "Boots (Q200)", with the description being, "A low quality pair of Zarganchaway boots, from Travistar." In our heads, there are obviously more words then one can posibly remember, so names are not worth the effort of the reading. We are not going to know "Tristar boots" from "Flasward boots" from "Smixnar boots" from "Blisnop boots" from "Equestar boots" from "Slingnex boots".
You can name an item anything you want, what other ppl call it is their problem...
No-one wants to walk into mega-mart, and see billions of choices of videos. They like Blitz-Buster, because they have pulled the NEW-RELEASES, and have a whole section of OLD-POPULAR videos, without frying your brain, sifting through 90% of the junk you can't use, to get to the scattered 10% you can use.
One persons junk is another persons prized posession...
We do NOT want to see junk we have already purchased, especially if it is unique items, which we can only have one of. (Like the starter maps, or any maps! If we have a map to "Snork-ville" used, or in our inventory, and we can only have ONE... don't show us that map in the stores, and DON'T let us purchase it, or ask... "You have this item already, are you sure you would like to purchase it again?" Some of us may want to turn that stuff off, to shop for others, where possible.)
Would you expect a shop to remove a VCR from the shelves just because you already have one?
Um... Program sympathy-code, and smart-code! Everything in this game is smart, except the drops! Here is a neat trick... Only have your server create "Substitute items", which would be any non-common item. For sympathy, if we are low on health, make more health things pop-up... that we can actually use! (As opposed to making health with requirements above our requirements.) If I have 90% health, 1of10 creatures have health drop. If I have 50% health, 1of5 creatures drop health. If I have 10% health, 1of2 creatures drop health.
Errr... Heal up after each mob...!

Sorry, stopped reading at this point...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

ISAWHIM

Post by ISAWHIM » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 pm

LOL... Yes, I do a lot of UBER-POSTS... saves me from having to post hundreds of times...

Obviously, your one of the, "I figured it out.", guys...

You comments don't qualify for, "How to make this better for new people." You have too long under the hood. Too many lead-pipe drinks, and rings in your tree...

(No offence there, just that your comments show your status in the game.)

Auto-aim should be just that... AUTO AIMING, not auto-Whiplash, dead-lock stare. (It is one thing to auto-aim, it is another thing to decapitate the entire game-play in that event. Even with auto-aim, I should be able to select my own target. Auto should only happen when NO selection was made, thus, the word AUTO, as opposed to BOT. When I loose all control of the fight, that is BOT AIMING. I am a mechanic, I already have a bot to fight with me... and the stupid thing runs a mile away, past the creature, then does a u-turn, and then comes back to fight. I don't want that same dysfunctional control, controlling my person also. Thus, Auto should not be default, as it is flawed, annoying, confusing to new players, an interferes with game play in a strong negative way.)

Yes, if I have purchased the XR-5, TZ-123, EG-274, and there are 100 other similar models on the display... I would like the three that I purchased, out of the list... That is what makes it SIMPLE, and PLAYABLE, and worth the PURCHASE.

If you had a store that removed anything you already own, like baseball cards 123, 3246, 7721, 8854, 8843, and 993 out of the pile of 1000 other displayed cards... and you had another store that did not, even though it was a simple task for them...

Which store would you return to?

Which store would you be most likely to make a purchase from?

Which store would guarantee that you didn't just waste $34,000.00 buying a duplicate, because you didn't realize you already had the GS-345 VCR sitting in your stock?

In a real world, you just take it back for a refund, here, a refund on a $34,000.00 item is $45.00 back in your pocket. Look at it this way, you only need one control for both VCR's now!

(Specifically, my gripe was for the MAPS, and IMPLANTS, and NANO things. Though I can see my maps by hitting "T" while my name is selected, there are a lot of maps, and I don't want to spend all day seeing which ones I am missing, when I could be walking around and playing, without getting lost.)

Remember, this post was about how to make it better, for all the future noobs...

You want to stand out-side at the noob landing-spot and give those instructions... Go ahead... It is much easier to just program the code that greys-out existing possessions, and highlights possessions you can actually use right now.

It is overly complex to have to open up four windows, toggle back and forth to check your stats, flip through ten stats pages to find the appropriate badly abbreviated stat, and compare for a sale...

Gimme a break... I just got done playing a solid 14 hours... and I am about to play another 14...

LOL... No, I am not addicted!

I love this game, it is like all the good stuff from "Acronax", "Deus-Ex", "Half-Life", and a little "Diablo"...

This is comparable to playing Tic-Tac-Toe # , on a globe-shaped board, with billions of triangles instead of a 3X3 grid, and the entire alphabet, as opposed to just X's and O's. No winners, just status and balance, with endless quests and possibility.

It is the variety of things to do, that makes it addicting. It is the things I mentioned, that degrade the "Fun" value of the addiction.

Take away the burnt-spoons and dirty-needles, and you have a great drug here!

However, this is still a "Techno-nerd's" dirty habit, not a "Common User". If they figure out how to wrap, lick, tap, and enjoy, you get a larger crowd with more expendable income. (Translation, funding for more, better, faster, bigger, better, super, addictions in the future. For less, as a whole, per individual.)

You know who would LOVE to see this creation be his own...
http://www.palladiumbooks.com/

The RPG game called "RIFTS" is this entire game... Slight changes, but it would fit perfectly into that series.

I loved that game as a kid, and found it covered all grounds, all times, all tastes... From prehistoric, "Turrok", style, to full-blown "Brog 7of9", stuff. Pure mix of aliens, humans, cyborgs, robots, mechs, hybrid-mutants, magic, psychics, naturals, hand-2-hand, hand-weapon, mech-weapon, vehicular-play, air-play, space-play, under-water-play, time-warp-play, dimensional-play, everything...

I have a good feeling, that is where this game is headed... sooner, more then later.

ISAWHIM

Post by ISAWHIM » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Personally, I think the addition of the team-buildings was/is a great concept, however... It needs something to extend itself to the rest of the world.

[EDITED By Me... (Decided to make this into a seporate post.)]
Last edited by ISAWHIM on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarwound5

Post by Scarwound5 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:13 pm

If there should be player bases that for player base pvp battles they should let u summon genetic units(Juggernuts,soliders,etc) to help you atack/defand bases.

Scarwound5

Post by Scarwound5 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:16 pm

When I started the thread i said that dungeons shouldent be lv locked they should also be instances.

Just like wow.

I think this idea is scrapped.

But I think they should open the gates of rome green.

This will give us new content.

ISAWHIM

Post by ISAWHIM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:29 pm

Scarwound5 wrote:When I started the thread i said that dungeons shouldn't be lv locked they should also be instances.

Just like wow.

I think this idea is scrapped.
Actually, your individual post was one idea, of...
"If AO's gonna survive this should happen...................."

Your topic is about things that AO needs to do, to survive.

Your idea wasn't bad, just not that big of a deal related to survival of AO. (Though, I am sure that having your idea of instanced levels, would absolutely help, and be welcome, and add to the game... Just not much of a survival issue. Though it would help the game survive longer.)

{NOTE: That is just my opinion, from a noob perspective, where the last thing on my mind, is going into the subway. Missions are more worthy of my time. They give more, force you to explore, and make you think. As opposed to the mob-ability of the subway.}

The "Towers" in that suggested idea, would be your defence/offence control. (Guns, shields, creature-spawns, nano-bonuses.)

The "Farms/Herds/Livestock/Food" are actually part of your defence also. They surround your main-base, except on the expansion side, which is nearly impenetrable from an opposition opponent, due to the trespass zones of your towers, and surrounding buildings/shops/structures.

The more "Food" you produce, the bigger and more plentiful your food-stock is. (Level 1 = Flea-Farming, Level 2 = Bull-Farming, Level 3 = Scrap-yard-bot-farming...) Ok, the bots are modded to harvest corn! But can kick your opponents down with their grim-reaper modded arms. Oh, and Alien-Farming for the expansion, good source of calcium-carbonite!

The whole point of that, related to survival, is the simple fact that, one company/crew can NOT build and maintain such a large world. Allowing these simple (Non-editor/skill based mods, adds game-content, without them having to add game content.)

This also allows them to use multiple servers to operate.

Use one complete separate server for the new additions. With the main-server as only a gateway to the other servers. (EG, servers can talk to them-selves faster then they can talk to us. Our computers don't care where the packet comes from, or what server we are speaking with, as long as the data is valid, and there is two-way communication. They can pass connections among servers, you just have to connect, and do the pass once both have a connection. Then drop the old connection. Most ideal time to do that, is in a world-transition, or zone-transition, or when you goto the GRID...)

That also allows you to see ALL people in ALL servers, Just not visually in the game. You could chat with anyone on any server, and they could have a new set of grid-locations, to let you "Hook-up" with your other members on other servers. (You just al have to agree to meet, and the server which is least-busy, is where you all teleport to, when you re-enter the game.)

Just don't make friends with others that have buggy connections. (Each player should have a "Connection Value" for each of the available servers. You would naturally log-in to the one you have the best connection on, but could switch to your friends servers, if your connection was within a certain limit/range. Which each server would "Test" you on, before limiting you. Say you would have to have 1 hour of actual play-time, or 20 failed connections, before those values could be held against you, or be seen.)

Thus, again... Adding to the survival of the game, bu reducing lag, removing the whole, "Select your server" screen, and giving more/faster server connections for us to play-on, and group with others in the same quality of connections.

kordova

Re: If AO's gonna survive this should happen................

Post by kordova » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Scarwound5 wrote:Nowadays compared to WoW and LOTR:online AO sucks.
I know this thread is old and all, but I just had to post here and say that I absolutely and unequivocally disagree with this statement. If you want deep game play and extensive character development, AO has that in spades. If you need immediate gratification and enjoy constantly having a carrot dangled in front of your face, play WoW.

AO is like a good wine that keeps getting better with age, and one that is appreciated by individuals with refined taste. WoW, LOTR and their ilk are the cheap beer and Jager shots that college kids (and others with a reckless disregard for quality) drink, solely for the nihilistic purpose of getting smashed.

That is all. :D

Scarwound5

Post by Scarwound5 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:22 pm

I think we should instance the dungons to 1 team per instance.

This avoids lv 220s from killin everything.

Also I think they should make some dungeons and raids "hard to get".

What i mean is that some dungeons should need a key to unlock for your team.

I know some raids do but I think it makes the game mor challenging as well.

Scarwound5

Post by Scarwound5 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:33 pm

I have a new expansion idea!!!!!!!!!

The dead web AO mob stat site faunlore said tis about a rare mob type on AO--The Ermites:

It is clear that the eremite, as an organism, was important enough or frightening enough to some group of intelligent organisms that a worship site of some sort was established to it. Since it is believed that many animals on Rubi-Ka were introduced by Omni-Tek to fill terraforming roles, and this altar seems to predate Omni- Tek's arrival, it is likely that the eremites are remnant animals that had previously evolved on Rubi-Ka, far before the incursion onto Rubi-Ka. Despite this apparent non-relation to any Earth-based organism, the argument for the eremite's inclusion in the arthropods is sound.
There is another one of these Eremite statues located in Rome, as mentioned previously, and another has recently been found in Andromeda. The existence of several widely separated instances of these statues, built in honor of the mighty Eremites, is further reason to suspect that these are ancient creatures, worshipped by something we do not yet know.

also:

This information also covers the two stronger genera, the cenobites and the anchorites, which are even rarer than their eremite brethren. The fact that multiple genera are known strengthens the case of this being a native group of organisms.

and:

The location in question (click here for more on the Altars) contains a statue of an eremite, and this is clearly seen at the center of a monolith structure, similar to ancient Stonehenge of Earth.

My idea is that we get a expansion about the ppl who worship the Ermites reawaken in RK and try to help the Ermites retake RK and once again it falls to you to stop them from summoning the Ermites and taking over RK.

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:13 am

If you go to Hollow Island, you can find PLENTY of Eremites capable of taking over the world. I'm afraid the concept of high powered Eremites has been done to death. Eremites are also found all over the Shadowlands as well.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Scarwound5

Post by Scarwound5 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:47 am

still that would make a good froob raid with new content to have.