Guide URLs

Got an idea for a site feature, a suggestion for an article, or spotted an error we made, feel free to post it here.
Guests can post here!
Trypha

Guide URLs

Post by Trypha » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:05 am

I'm sure I'm not the only one who preferred the old-style of URLs to the guides, which were less descriptive but ultimately much shorter. I'm not asking for the whole site to be redesigned but would it be terribly hard to incorporate a URL shortener for each guide, perhaps near the form to choose the item database? It will just make things much less obnoxious when pasting into ingame chat. Thank you!

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Re: Guide URLs

Post by Llie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:32 am

FYI: URLs can be shortened as follows:

Take this URL for instasnce:

Code: Select all

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=14&mid=8&site=AO-Universe%2FKnowledge%2FClassic+AO%2FGameplay+Guides%2F&pid=496
You can delete the entire "&site=" clause all the way to the next ampersand so that the URL shortens to:

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=14&mid=8&pid=496
The only difference is that the guide will not include the enclosing directories that leads to that guide from the main guides page.

Demoder
AOU 3rd Party Developer

Post by Demoder » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:00 am

Llie wrote:FYI: URLs can be shortened as follows:
(...)
The only difference is that the guide will not include the enclosing directories that leads to that guide from the main guides page.
The shortest format of guide links seems to be

http://ao-universe.com/?id=14&pid=496

Trypha

Post by Trypha » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:36 am

Thanks for the info :) Looks like a decent regex could automatically trim it out. If it's too much work for you guys (I know you must be very busy!) maybe a Chrome extension or something could do it.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:20 am

Trypha wrote:Thanks for the info :) Looks like a decent regex could automatically trim it out. If it's too much work for you guys (I know you must be very busy!) maybe a Chrome extension or something could do it.
It's more that the long version includes more information.

Like if you go in to a guide manually, you'll see at the top something like "AO Universe > Knowledge > Expansion Name > Section of said expansion". Such as "AO Universe > Knowledge > Classic AO > Daily Missions". Without the extra info that doesn't show up properly. So that's what the extra info does. Generally most people know that info, but it can be helpful if you need to know exactly where in the game and/or where on the site it is if you need to pull it up again later :)

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Trypha,

if you open a guide now you'll find a "Quicklink"-input now in the top left box. It gives you something like this:
http://www.ao-universe.com/guides/170

Also, as a sideproduct, linking to a guide without supplying the "mid"-variable is now optional, the resulting page looks the same.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:34 am

:top:

Trypha

Post by Trypha » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:20 pm

This is so awesome, thank you so much!

Chopz

Post by Chopz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 am

Okies- so
I have posted URL for photos and they don't show up
I have used the same URL in Facebook and it works fine.
-
Is there something I am missing?

bitnykk

Post by bitnykk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 pm

No idea for remote images ... all i can say is when i add photos on my guides, i upload them locally on AOU server first (using a tool Khuri reworked recently) and then add the relative link in text. Need to ask Khuri for external stuff ...

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:01 am

The problem is with the URL you used.
https://ibb.co/6r3SGLk <-- that's a website, not the actual image file.
It works on Facebook, because Facebook scans the site and then strips the first image and shows that (or a appointed image on the site, but that's technical mumbo-jumbo)

What you need to do is one of the following:

a) Go to that site and look at the bottom left corner where it says "Embed-Codes" and copy from the input field that says "BBCode" and just paste that in your reply.
- or -
b) On the page, right-click the image and select "copy image address" (or similar, depending on your browser). Just paste that string inside the normal img-tag.

Then it works ;)