number the steps for guides

Got an idea for a site feature, a suggestion for an article, or spotted an error we made, feel free to post it here.
Guests can post here!
tyrence

number the steps for guides

Post by tyrence » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:28 am

It might be beneficial to number the steps in the guides because I think that will make them easier to follow along (whether in game or on the website). An example:
The Yomi page on the other hand is a random drop off the Adonis catacomb bosses. Those bosses are roughly level 210, so soloing there is not for the faint of heart.

The first Unredeemed to talk to is the Hypnagogic Ixi-Lum Van. He's the temple's librarian, and can be found in the 100% suppression gas western side room, before its very core.

For the ones among us interested in the reason why you had to take a hold of a Yomi page, feel free to have a quick chat with him. If you're more interested in getting this all done and over with, it's okay to just trade him said page. In return, he will hand you a Book of Insignificant Rituals, and ask you to deliver it to the Prophet Urga Van.
1. Head to the Adonis Catacombs, and with a raid team, farm 'A Page From The Yomi Grimoire' off of the Yomi Grimoire and the other boss mobs in that dungeon.

2. Once you have a page give it to 'Hypnagogic Ixi-Lum Van' in the Penumbra north east Unredeemed temple. He will give you the Book of insignificant rituals.

3. Give the book of insignifcant rituals to Prophet Nar Van, and he will spawn Vanya. Note that Vanya spawns in the 75% room, so be carefull if there are Clanners around. Unredeemed Vanya gives awesome faction for the Clanners and they won't think twice about killing it.
Taken from /tell budanet !aou 284 and /tell budanet !guides penguide, respectively.

Ignoring the contents of those excerpts (since they are not giving the exact same information) and focusing solely on the format, I think the second version is a lot clearer to follow, and if you have to look away it's easy to resume where you left off since the numbers are good visual markers.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Re: number the steps for guides

Post by Silvana » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:51 am

I'm not sure it would be that beneficial, but we'll discuss it. Thank you :)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm part of a large alliance of orgs, and since we do a lot of the big raids with alliance members who are from all over the world I have two thoughts on this suggestion.

1/ I don't personally think it would make the guides any clearer as such.

However...

2/ I do think it would aid collective understanding greatly.

The ability to say to a large group "we are on step #5" would pinpoint the current exersize and speed up the actual quests to quite a large degree.

So whilst I don't personally like the look of the numbering, I do think it would be a good thing.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Is this something the bot can add when parsing?

Look for any double line break followed by something that doesn't start with a bbCode tag and add a number in front of it.

I'm busy working my way through the guides adding waypoint tags. If we want to add numbers too, I might have a stroke.

tyrence

Post by tyrence » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Llie wrote:Is this something the bot can add when parsing?

Look for any double line break followed by something that doesn't start with a bbCode tag and add a number in front of it.
My suggestion (and that's all it is) is not really related to displaying the guides in-game. I think adding numbering would be beneficial for people viewing the guides on the website. Personally, I would much prefer to have the data in a list format rather than a story format and I believe that for this application (quest guides), most people would also prefer the guides in a list format, but I may be wrong. And for the record, adding numbering does not completely satisfy this for me, but it's a step in that direction.

Yes, this is something I can do on the bot side. And if you guys ultimately decide to not do this, I may implement it on the bot side. But I think this may turn out to be too complicated to implement correctly.

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:18 am

The ToC generation on the guides on the site automatically happens by reading the internal hyperlinks. A lot of guides use those already to create a sort of overview. You might want to take a look at it; numbering them would be a piece of cake.
Look for the following bbcode:

Code: Select all

[goto=link]text[/goto] -- creates a link to "link"
[anchor=link] -- the actual document location that is referred to

tyrence

Post by tyrence » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:03 am

I didn't realize that; I will look into it. However, I don't think this will really work as an adequate solution-- typically there aren't hyperlinks for each step in a quest guide which is where I think the numbering is most valuable.