Shoulder pad quest question

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

xaatxuun

Shoulder pad quest question

Post by xaatxuun » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:43 am

I have acquired everything but the Highly plastic mother-circuit array between 2 days (and unknown that the second day was 6 hours of it) I have yet to get that item to drop, I probably have 10+ hours collection. Since I'm neutral, I was getting one of each side, I have had everything but that one last item by the first hour of today's hunting gathering.

So what I wanna know, is there a special location they are more common to drop ?

I've been following the info on this Knowledge Guide http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?sit ... highlight=
been to every location but Ruins. I'm going to try there next.
Wartorn Valley produced nothing for the hour + I was looking there.

I thought there was another location, that is not listed in that guide, like some war bots of some kind that dropped parts too. but its been7-8 years since I had done this last, so maybe things have changed :oops:
well just had to ask, because I have a tendency to miss read things.

I guess it is possible to get the drops during Missions ? I'm getting tired of wasting Bullets on Grey mobs for that Whooping 1Xp :P

Gimpeline
LPA Founder

Post by Gimpeline » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:21 am

The parts can drop in missions, but from what I have seen it's pretty rare.
I always go to the junkyard outside Rome to get all the parts.
As far as I know the droprate is the same on all locations
Lise "Gimpeline" EverwhiteOmni-MiningLeet Protection Agency

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:29 am

Same here, I only ever go to the hill outside of rome. It's really just luck. The good thing with that hill is a lot of people use it and will usually shout out if they find a duplicate of something that they don't need so that someone who does can loot it.

I usually have a problem getting the tubes.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm Clan and I agree, the Junkyard outside rome is the place to go...!
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:49 am

there's just not any one else around there, not long after I made this post a Org member logged on and helped me, they used a higher level character, and just whacked them once. Took us almost 2 hours, but we finally got what I was looking for. during that time we could had started 4 more pads, and 2 of which would of just needed that same one missing piece :shock:

Ok that was the good news. I was all happy and very sleepy, but I was going to grab both pads before I went to bed, first went to the Clan, and before I went to start the second part of the Pad quest, I was going to put together the second pad to be assembled for the Omni dude. But for some reason I could not combine the first part :? . . I thought maybe they changed it, and now you can only have one set, I didn't give up tried it again, still message shows wrong item . . "But I have everything ?".
So I looked what I had again, . . . DOH!! . . the Scrap of Notum was not a Scrap of Notum, but just a Notun chip :oops: you know how many of those I didn't grab and left there because I thought I already had it ?
Well guess I'll be going back to the Junk Yard outside of Rome again

The other day was talking with a friend in the Game, I mentioned need another out here looking, seems the drop rate increases when more are here. They mentioned the drop rate increases with the Kill rate, the more or faster they are killed, then the drop rate increase.
With just me killing them, and no one else around it does feel like there is no such thing as a drop :P .

Yeah these areas are not the same, err your not going to produce the same kinda drop rate. the Junk Yard outside Rome was good because there are more mobs there in a smaller area. My second best location was the Crash site outside of Newland City. The Ruins there was a wait for a mob to spawn, so got nothing there. The Mines south of ToTW plenty of mobs but they are spaced far apart. Same for Outside of Athens the Junk Yard there plenty of Mobs but got nothing and lots of running just to get to the next one.

I'm going to say I had 12+ hours looking for all the parts, and in the first 4, had everything but one Times 2. (actually higher but cannot keep duplicates, so actual how many more is a guessimate). So that was 8 hours just for one Part. But seeing how much faster it is when you have help and/or others doing the same in the same area, that time could had been a lot less, a Whole lot less

Oh I found that other Mob I was mentioning about, they were A-500 Elites, I spent 45 minutes there and was getting nothing. They are in Omni Forest. Since there are only 4 of them, I had to wait for them to spawn, very slow.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

I don't think the droprate actually increases with more people in the area, I think that's an illusion, it's just that more mobs are being killed so the droprate goes up like that.
I've seen that place with 30 people on it farming parts, and the bits drop thick and fast and people are shouting about dropped parts that they don't need all the time, but I guess the quest isn't as popular as when I last did it.
But yes, a higher level friend helps.

Krishina

Post by Krishina » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:06 pm

I did it at the toxic pool in Newland Desert. I really don't recommend doing it there, I didn't know they dropped at the Junkyard. :oops: But same, it took me ages to get the last bit I needed. It all depends on whether the random number generator smiles on you.
Krishina: Level 100 Engineer, RK2

Looking for a toe in the AO rp door.

Scoopx
AOU Reporter

Post by Scoopx » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Mech Dog Hill outside Rome seems to be the best for getting items.

Best combo for drops = You + high-level NanoTechnician with Volcanic Eruption. :D
And now You know!

Roger "Scoopx" Johnson
Cub-Reporter for Rubi-Ka Times
Neutral Division
[img]http://www.scene-and-heard.com/ao/sigs/sig_scoopx.jpg[/img]

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:29 am

Snakebite wrote:I don't think the droprate actually increases with more people in the area, I think that's an illusion, it's just that more mobs are being killed so the droprate goes up like that.
I've seen that place with 30 people on it farming parts, and the bits drop thick and fast and people are shouting about dropped parts that they don't need all the time, but I guess the quest isn't as popular as when I last did it.
But yes, a higher level friend helps.
hehe it's not an illusion . . . more kills . . hmmm I mean faster kills would produce a faster drop rate, and yes your right, it's not as Popular as when I did it last as well. out of the 14+ hour, subtract the 2 with the org member, there was 2 times I saw one other, I don't stick around doing continuously all the time, but I can say 2 hours of the 12 hours I saw one other
Krishina wrote:I did it at the toxic pool in Newland Desert. I really don't recommend doing it there, I didn't know they dropped at the Junkyard. :oops: But same, it took me ages to get the last bit I needed. It all depends on whether the random number generator smiles on you.
Toxic pool . . Toxic Pool . . not ringing any bells, must be a spot I forgotten about , The Crash site wasn't so bad, actually I found it okish, not as good as Rome Junk Yard, but from all the spots I went to, it would be my second choice

Scoopx wrote:Mech Dog Hill outside Rome seems to be the best for getting items.

Best combo for drops = You + high-level NanoTechnician with Volcanic Eruption. :D
It is by far the best location, I think the drop rate would be the same as any other, just this location the Mobs are less spread apart like the others, making the other places a slower drop rate, since it takes longer (more running and searching) to hunt and kill. The Crash site outside of Newland City is good, but there are less Mobs there, that do drop the parts.

and yes That would be the Best combo, just need to get to the body's fast enough before they all rot before ya get to check :wink:

The only bad part about a High level in the area, is the respawning, Sometimes they respawn faster then I can handle. I'm No Twink and the mech dogs are still Green bars to me, and I cannot handle more then 4 mech dogs at the same time, when a fifth and sixth show up, I can count on a Bigger Pool, Or I can run, But I never do :roll:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Just repeating myself, in a different way.

If at location "A" I can kill 10 mobs in 2 minutes, and at location "B" it takes me 10 minutes to kill 2 mobs, I would say that location "A" has a Higher Drop Rate. Though truly the drop rate is not the part that increased, it was the Kill rate, which in turn gives me more drops.
So what I've been calling as a drop rate between the locations is really my Killing rate :oops: :oops:

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:27 am

Yup, that's what I said... :D

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:24 pm

A little advice about getting enough parts for both shoulder pads. First of all, make friends with a mid- to high- level NT. I can usually find 2 sets of parts in under 2 hours at the Rome Junkyard. There is no better place, because the Rome Junkyard has the highest density of mobs with the lowest chance you'll aggro something huge that will kill you. Don't despair if someone else shows up and starts killing the mobs, sooner or later they'll find parts they already have. Be friendly and you'll benefit from other peoples cast offs. The only mobs that drop parts are mechdogs, waste collectors, buzzsaw and buckethead tech-scavengers. They do not drop from "other" robotic mobs like ninjadroids and A-#### elites, etc... (There's a pool of green goo in the south east quadrant of NLD where there's also a lvl 25 dyna boss and its associated camp is buzzsaw tech-scavengers. I've tried all the places... nothing beats Rome Junkyard for the reasons listed above.) Parts can drop off mission mechdogs, but only if the mission level is less than 50 or 70.

Secondly, since the parts are UNIQUE, you should start combining the parts as soon as you can (you need to have picked up the thing that looks like a brain). The resulting combined part is also UNIQUE, but it's a different item from the individual parts, so you can pick up another set parts in addition to the combined item. Typically, I will end up with 1 combined one plus a second set of individual parts and then I'm ready to go turn them in and get on with the next 2 parts of the quest.

If you are neutral, you can have a fully upgraded pad from both sides.

Krishina

Post by Krishina » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 am

Llie wrote:Parts can drop off mission mechdogs, but only if the mission level is less than 50 or 70.
Not true, when I was grinding for my 1k token board I got the tubes during an 85 mission.

Don't count on that though, since one part in over 200 monster missions is never going to get you there.
Krishina: Level 100 Engineer, RK2

Looking for a toe in the AO rp door.

tgjensen

Post by tgjensen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 am

Moles and Scooplets have a far higher droprate than other mobs in my experience. I've been hunting them in Aegan, where they are roughly QL50, for some time, looking for Notum Saturated Metaplast shells, and the shoulderpad parts drop regularly. I'd estimate a drop rate of around 10%. If you can handle that level of mobs comfortably I suggest going there.