Chat with Memorial Caretaker (Yutto)

Old threads for viewing only

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Chat with Memorial Caretaker (Yutto)

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:42 am

The small yutto turns towards you, cocks his head and taps his staff on the ground.
Titan: You're well hidden in the back here...
Memorial Caretaker: Some may think so. Others say it is too dangerous to keep a historical mark here, but they fail to see that history does not choose the fields it's written on. So, how can I help you, young one?
Titan: I'd like to know what happened here.
Memorial Caretaker: I'm delighted to hear you are interested. Perhaps my little tale is one you will remember. I will tell you about the Plateau memorial.

There was once a mine here. Not quite the same kind as on Rubi-Ka, but not far from it. When the world was turned upside down during the cataclysm, many ruptures were left open. Once the survivors had settled, a race for power and annihilation of the opposite side started. Although the Source as they had known it forever was lost, there were other substances worth mining. Platinum was one of them and that is what this mine produced.
Titan: (Listen to the story)
Memorial Caretaker: Over the course of time, the mine changed hands many many times. The Redeemed and Unredeemed would constantly fight over the control of it and several other areas. Mines were important because among the other riches they would often find were fragments of the Source, which meant one small step closer to bygone times.

They were so blinded by the enmity against each other that they never saw how the raw mine attracted brink creatures like hecklers and horrors. And because they didn't see it coming, they had small defenses against this sort of threat. The mine was taken, all the people within slain and the constructions around torn down. This statue is here to remember that and to remind us that our anger and greed will blind us so we cannot see the real dangers.
Titan: Thanks for the history lesson. I should move on. I still have a few memorials to find.
Memorial Caretaker: There is a memorial stone by a crashed wreck, north west of here. The easiest way to find it is to continue south, around the south edge of Penumbra and continue north again. Not too far north of the incarnator, you should find it. Safe travels!
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:49 am

The small yutto turns towards you, cocks his head and taps his staff on the ground.
Titan: Hi. Glad I found you.
Memorial Caretaker: Hello to you too, young one. I welcome you to the Ship's Forest memorial stone. Perhaps you'd like to hear why there's a stone here?
Titan: I'd love to.
Memorial Caretaker: As you can see, there's a wreck here. It is thousands upon thousands of years old and it was built by the Redeemed that remained here after the cataclysm. Their hope was to build vessels similar to the arks their kin had escaped in just before the cataclysm but they failed time and time again. Little did they then know that their world was no longer as it was, that it was impossible to leave, and much less in a space ship.

The vessel never flew. The Redeemed had built propulsion systems and the ship had some highly technological aspects, but it could not compare to what the Xan had built before the cataclysm, when all the power of the Source was in their hands.
Memorial Caretaker: Their efforts were in vain, but their hearts and intent was good. They wanted a better life for themselves and took direct action to try and get just that. And therein lies the important memory. The stone isn't set up to remember that they failed in building a space ship they could leave in, but to remember the effort they made and their will to succeed.

In many ways, you humans are much the same. Even when the odds against you are very bad, you will not give up. Yours is truly a remarkable species, young one.
Titan: Thank you. I bet there is another memorial close to here.
Memorial Caretaker: Yes, that is correct. North of here you will find Cama's temple, where the Redeemed hold court. There is a statue in the immediate vicinity of the temple itself and shouldn't be hard to find at all. I wish you a swift journey.
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:53 am

Titan: I've found a memorial stone, haven't I?
Memorial Caretaker: Yes, that you have. This is the Purity memorial. Here, we honor the memory of love. This stone was raised at the behest of the Redeemed that dwell here. So, young one...how may I help you?
Titan: I'd like to hear about this place.
Memorial Caretaker: I'd be honored to tell you about what happened here.
There once was a woman among the Redeemed. She was nothing like any other of her kind. In the eyes of her world, she was ugly to the point where even her parents thought so, even if they did not say it to her. When she was an adult, she was put to tasks that would send her to deep cellars or high towers or deep forests or anywhere else she could be of use where she wouldn't be seen by the others.

Then one day, while she was out in the forest doing some menial task, she fell upon an Unredeemed man. Their eyes locked and none of them moved even if by all laws, they were mortal enemies. The two became a couple, their love so pure and rich. He would endlessly tell her how beautiful she was to him and she would give him kindness he had never known.
Memorial Caretaker: They made an impossible couple, and they knew that no one could ever know. And none did for years, until one day they were discovered by her kin.

They were dragged to the temple and she was asked to answer for her sin before Cama so she could be forgiven, but her mate was put to the sword in front of her and in that instant she died within. She screamed at them, told them they were the monsters, not her or her mate. She accused them of being false, never loving her like he would; unconditionally and eternally. And then she threw herself on the same sword as her lover and died with her arms cradling him.

After her death, her people saw no love from Cama for a long time, until they realised that she had been right, and with that knowledge brought her memory and her message with them in the future.
Titan: I understand why the Redeemed have asked to have a memorial stone here now.
Memorial Caretaker: Yes, it is indeed a thing to remember. Perhaps you will take the story with you and keep it in mind when you return to your war-scarred world. I wish you the best, young one, and hope your travels in Penumbra will be good.