Dust Brigade Guide: Comm Tower

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Jerusha

Dust Brigade Guide: Comm Tower

Post by Jerusha » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Tipp for beating the Comm Tower in first part:
We found it much more easier to kill it with Mechs. When you get low on HP, which can easily happen, step back and let anyone else get some aggro. If you cycle like this, the tower is down in a short time. We had really trouble in keeping the team alive when not using Assault Mechs.
Hope this helps anyone.
regards

anderzon

Post by anderzon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:17 am

hmmm this might end those upset and disappointments we had lol. Thanks for this

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 am

To be completely honest, meching up seems like a cheap and "unsporty" (if such a word really exists) way of beating a challenge. The last encounter where this was suggested by a raid member we ended up taking something like an hour to kill the boss that would normally die within ten minutes.

As this tower doesn't really have such a huge amount of HP, I'd guess it really is viable. But well, it still feels like cheating.

Jerusha

Post by Jerusha » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:36 pm

I don't think it feels like cheating. The Mechs are ingame. They are a valid Tool provided by the Game. Since our Enfo was twoshottet as the 3rd Tower spawned, we had to come up with alternate Tactics.
I think its a valid way to use them.
regards

anderzon

Post by anderzon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:16 am

as long as you use the resources in game i don't feel like its cheating.

Hvyshadows

Post by Hvyshadows » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 pm

It's a viable tactic if your team is an awkward configuration (all fixers or something), but it's definitely less satisfying than just taking it down pwn style. :) But we do use mechs for dreads and so forth, so it can't really be a "cheat". But yeah, I wouldn't want to see the tactic added to the guide necessarily.
"It is good to have substance to one's existence, but if fate denies one substance, one can yet do a lot with style."

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:31 am

Yes, that was basically my point... For some dreads that were designed to be taken out in a mech, like the ones with mech adds it is indeed a fully legitimate tactic. I wouldn't ever call it an exploit, but meching up simply because you can't deal with the damage incoming means you're not playing the game as it was intended.

On a funny side note, that other encounter where we meched up was a Dread - Brigardier Crux. He's clearly very easy in mechs, but also soooo boring that after killing him, we all swore to never come back there ever again. That is, unless we had a team that could take him out without having to rely on mechs.

Thurman

Post by Thurman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Perhaps there could be a section at the end of guides called "Your Mileage May Vary" or something like that, where the guide creator can list alternative tactics that he or she may not abide by, but may work for the player? (These would also include reasons why you might or might not want to try these tactics)

Just shooting in the dark.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:26 pm

I think thats a pretty reasonable suggestion, Thurman. Though honestly for this particular case.. I haven't ever been in a team that died more than once attempting this.

anderzon

Post by anderzon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:00 pm

team work creates new opportunities and creates new chances.