Information wanted

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

cosy021

Information wanted

Post by cosy021 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Hello Guys,

I was wondering what is happening with the game... im bored of WOW a little and im waiting for SWTOR to come out which could be some time.

I used to play AO, at the time i had a lvl 212 MA and a 200+ (one with the little bulter robots)beracrat or something... and before i left i was a Junior GM, its great being able to fly anywhere and teleport where you like :)

Well anyways..

I wanted to know how the community is with this game still? i was interested in maybe starting the sniper one ... the one that assumes other classes...

How is the PVP in game as well as PVE? i raid alot in WOW (end content)

I left at the not far from the start of Alien invasion and i think it was more to do with i couldnt find a guild i was happy with, i think alot of fun on games is playing with good people.

How are the classes now a days, which are the best solo pvpers?

Sorry badly organized post but basically i want more information to see if its worth returning and investing lots of time lvling

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:50 am

Started to reply, but it became the wall of text....

Short version:
Lots of new content since you left. If you're just waiting for SWTOR to be released, you better check out some other game. You'd have to invest too much effort/time here.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:25 am

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'junior GM' is, but if it's what I think it is, I'll have to warn you now NOT to elaborate or mention it again please.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

cosy021

Post by cosy021 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 am

Understood Snakebite.

Please i would like a wall of text, if i can get back into the game and i enjoy it the way i used to i may not leave.

I want to know what has changed?

Is there still the massive learning curve around understanding what implants you can get in etc.

Is there an active pvp environment?

Is there an Active Pve /Raid encounter environment?

What at end game is the sucessful PvP solo class?

What is the best end game is be most successful Pvp Support class?

What is the raid set up etc (wow thinking) 10man / 25 man?

any additional info you guys may like to add

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 am

- 2 additional expansion since AI: Lost Eden and Legacy of Xan. On top of that, several end game instances/quests. And ofc, each expansion brought in more powerfull items/nanos, etc.

- Yes, the curve is still there. In a game, where you can have a setup of your liking, this won't change.

- No idea what you would call active PvP enviroment. Escpecially since I'm not into PvP. But you have battlestations (speciall instances dedicated to PvP), that run 24/7, at least at certain levels. And there will be additional PvP instance added in next patch.

- there is active PvE enviroment. Most is done within orgs or patched up teams, but there are several done by public bots still.

- No idea which class is best at end game solo PvP

- Raid interface allow 36 players (6 teams of 6 players). But only couple of instances allow more than 1 team (Pandemonium, AI sectors, 12man). Still, where it's allowed, players take advantage of it.

FC also added several options to gain xp/sk easier. Still, I'd estimate you'd need 4 months to level MP to 220/70/30, get the best gear and le-learn the ropes. I suggest you go to Search Guides page and check guides added after patch 15.6.1. (Alien Invasion). That way you'll be able to judge what changes were done since then.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Let's just say the learning curve in AO hasn't diminished at all...!
The Tradeskill system has only got more complex...!
Both of these factors are what initialy attracted me and also keep me here.

There are several options for PvP, including 'Battlestation' (assuming enough numbers on each side for it to start in your chosen range), a fairly new 'challenge' system (no actual death, just a win or lose) and so on.

All the old raid options along with quite a few more...

Add to this a 3rd type of account opiton (sl00b), which is like a fr00b account, but with shadowlands in it too for only 5 of your local currency per month, all adds up to bigger and better...

cosy021

Post by cosy021 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Thank you both for the information you gave...

I would still be interested in learning more about the solo PvP class if anyone can add anything...

I was thinking shades do pretty well from what i have been reading.. any more info would be welcome

To that end i think i will download the full client tonight and give it a bash... if i will look at the guides and see if i can start to understand the game again.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:16 pm

For profession specific pvp information, it might be worth checking the AO Forums profession specific forum areas -- while I am sure that anyone who responds here will give you a valid response, there is a vast supply of information there and you are much more likely to be able to make an informed decision from reading multiple peoples' opinions.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:50 am

As far as I'm concerned, any proff that I make is pretty crap at PvP, so I figure I'm not the person to ask lol.

Vickie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Vickie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:12 am

most professions do well in pvp. as for mass pvp (towers etc) ranged with a massive alpha is of an advantage (read soldier, Agents, ranged advy's, fixers crats etc...) Doctors allways needed in pvp. a doc is hard to kill if there is no Meta, NT or Trader around debuffing him etc..

as for solo pvp, there is endless posibilities. like enfo's can be dangerous with stun perks, MPs with shields atm very hard to kill, but hard to get kills with, crats and enfos have fears thant sends people off running in wrong direction. Fixers is a hard target due to evades/runspeed, NTs horrible for soldier etc... in the end a matter of playstyle.
You specifically asked about shades. I have not play an endgame one in pvp, but from what i see, they have quite some damage, and if twinked right, they have alot of defence too (read, hard to kill/perk)

So basically it boils down to what you like to play. support classes or Alpha monsters (shades, soldiers, Agents,Fixers and advies)

all classes got pro and con's.

so my best advise is to study prof specific forums, try check good pvp endgame setups, and choise of breed etc as well can make quite an impact on your toon.
Sworn to Avenge. Condemn to hell. Tempt not the blade, All fear the Sentinels.

Vickie "Ladypz" Creehan President of Forsaken