Problem with Engineer

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

nutcase69

Problem with Engineer

Post by nutcase69 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:40 pm

hi all any help would be most welcome.

i have a lvl 65 engineer that keeps dying i have no idea what to do and how i can make him better

i have manged to buy a piece of the jobe armour but can not equip it yet

my abilites are
str: 169 agi:232 Sta:208 Int: 236 Sen: 203 Psy: 149

i have increased my pistol to the max possible (pistol: 339)
my nanos for the bots is Time&Space: 357 Matter Crea: 392

Treatment: 213 and First aid: 151.

Implants
i am using manly QL: 50 from the basic shop as that is all i can use for now.

weapons
the orginal Electronicum QL: 51
SOL K-91 Mini Monster QL: 50

i am fed up with loseing so much xp i have manged to get some back but still need to recover more than 100,000 xp i am very close to junking this character.

any help and comments are welcome.

regards

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Re: Problem with Engineer

Post by Fourthaid » Sun May 16, 2010 1:45 am

nutcase69 wrote:Treatment: 213 and First aid: 151.

Implants
There's definitely room for improvement on some of those implants at least, trying to get on some temporary statbuffing and treatment buffing implants to put on higher implants in other spots is a good way to easily get much higher QL imps in, add some treatment buffing items and buffs to the mix (like the omni-med suit and SFA from a doc) and ql100s is a fairly easy task (with a bit of experience) at 65 :)

But the big problem with an engineer is that they are simply squishy, they have very little defenses beyond some half-decent reflects and absorbs (if you have SL) so letting the pet do the tanking is usually the best idea.

However you might want to look into upgrading your armor depending on exactly what you have equipped. Not having played an engineer too high before means I don't have too much experience with what armor is good for that class. Might want to try to find some armor that buffs your HP perhaps if you are having problems staying alive.

Tonopa

Post by Tonopa » Sun May 16, 2010 7:52 am

Engineer Guide MKIII
This guide is intended to draw together as much information as possible to provide an easy to understand guide for Engineers of all levels.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Sun May 16, 2010 10:09 am

Another thing you should be aware is that those pistols aren't really good for SL. There, it's min dmg a gun does that is important. Or, you can equip 2 pistols that boost your nano skills, so you can cast much higher robot and then simply hide behind it.
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sun May 16, 2010 10:09 am

Ok, first the list, then maybe some help...

Your implants are WAY underpowered, you should be in QL75s if not leavered into 100s by now.

The armour is almost certainly low, to be honest, at lower levels I usualy just make Carbonum, it's easy to get hold of and also buffs your NCU.

Pistols are always a problem, unless you want to go twinking something on, Original Electronicums are pretty good, nice hard hitters, but with a pretty naff minimum damage!!! Which makes them not good at all in the Shadowlands where you always do minimum damage.

Your Pet is EVERYTHING! The higher pet you can get running the better, if it's not SCREAMING red to you at that level, then it's too low!

Now after that downer, the possible help...

Which server are you on? Atlantian or Rimor? If you're on Rimor, we could meet up and I can help you into some better stuff.

Engis ARE squishy quite frankly, the more agg the bot can take, the better...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

nutcase69

Post by nutcase69 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:54 pm

thanks for the info i am on the atlantean server i am playing neutral so finding things like the med suit is a problem.

my bot is the perfected gladiator bot.

my armour yeah its terrible i have been looking for something better but have yet to find anything better. (not sure where to look)

i need to lv so that i can put some points into treatment for installing the QL75. (reason why im dying so much)

for SL i have 2 desert reet pistols can they be upgraded.

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Re: Problem with Engineer

Post by Niodemus » Sun May 16, 2010 5:19 pm

nutcase69 wrote:i have a lvl 65 engineer
Please state your Breed as well, sometimes that changes a lot.
nutcase69 wrote:i have manged to buy a piece of the jobe armour but can not equip it yet
My honest opinion: You have thrown away a good bunch of cash... unless you have a higher level cash provider I wouldn't spend my money at that yet.... later you may want some few pieces depending... mainly the back item and gloves.
nutcase69 wrote:i have increased my pistol to the max possible (pistol: 339)
my nanos for the bots is Time&Space: 357 Matter Crea: 392
Fairly a lot of Pistol skill. When I remember right I had like 100ish in my weapon skills at 65... maybe even less. Concentrate on MC+TS for highest possible bot! Additionally ... but in secondary importance... MM for Combat Arrays like this Enhance Combat Array and soon Boost Combat Array, those little nanos make quite a difference who the monster beats up even at lower level (watch out for level requirements)
Oh and for higher bots you may like to ask a MP for help.. Composite Masteries or single Infusions (MC+TS) is what you'll be looking for.
nutcase69 wrote:Treatment: 213 and First aid: 151.
Implants
You'll want to push Treatment some more, at 65 your treatment should be around 300 pure skill + all buffing you may catch... see Quilluck's advise above. You should look for 100-120ish implants for Head, Eye & R-Arm for highest MC+TS ... and maybe Chest & L-Arm for additional MM.
nutcase69 wrote:weapons
the orginal Electronicum QL: 51
SOL K-91 Mini Monster QL: 50
In case you don't want to dismiss your weapons I would suggest to aim for a Customized IMI Desert Reet 1000 which you may gain at Foreman's/Biomare. Those will aid you long time on RK and in SL.

nutcase69 wrote:i am fed up with loseing so much xp i have manged to get some back but still need to recover more than 100,000 xp i am very close to junking this character.
Engineer isn't ... and never was... an easy class. But isn't a hard one either... you just have to learn some of the tricks (like for every class)... I have never regretted mine ;)

Regards
Nio

nutcase69

Post by nutcase69 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:03 pm

Please state your Breed as well, sometimes that changes a lot.

Breed is Solitus

the Jobe armour was not one of my best ideas but i only bought the first piece and dont intend to buy another for quite some time.

my MC & TS are maxed out. My MM is at 325.

im thinking of resetting either all my skills or some though not sure yet.

Tonopa

Post by Tonopa » Sun May 16, 2010 10:10 pm

There is no need to reset skills - you just need experience and guidance. If you take the time to read the MKIII guide everything will make much more sense - its a mammoth guide - and it may take an hour or two of reading to absorb the basic knowledge and even more time to understand the advanced concepts.

As others have already stated:

1) new implants. If you cannot afford symbiants or a full set of ql110 then at least make MC/TS head, eye and right hand implants ( better bot nano skills). Do not use the premade implants from the player shop - design your own custom implants.

1a - make a free account and use that account to create an Omni characters - use it to buy an omni med suit - then transfer the med suit to the engineer/pay account. 7k credits will get you a complete suit from the clothing terminal

One step at a time! one_step_forward!

nutcase69

Post by nutcase69 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 am

can any use the med suit i thought it was omni only?

the MkIII guide i have on my desk and am reading it now thanks for the info.

Trgeorge
AOU Community Legend

Post by Trgeorge » Mon May 17, 2010 1:57 am

Don't look at names of items, Med-suit in this case.
Look at requirement, if it doesn't state "Omni only", it's usable by everyone.

As for reseting skills, in nutcase, at your level, as long as you can kill anything that gives you xp, you didn't make any major mistake, you can't correct yet. Save your reset points.

Advice or two:
- join guild, there's only so much info you can find online. We try our best, but we can't really cover everything. If nothing else, our guide listing already include 500+ titles and is hard to find correct one. Another issue is that most of our team are seasoned players and yes, we do overlook issues that bug new players. And once you join a guild, rememebre that only questions dumb enough are the ones not asked. If members take offence of asking, the guild isn't right for you.
- create alts, even if you delete them after a week. You can experimet with gear, at least lower ql, game mechanics, etc. You'll also learn about other proffesions, nanos they cast, strenghts and weakneses. While NPCs don't follow exact mechanics as players, you'll at least learn what's their strenghts and weakness, as well as what nanos they cast.
- treat SL as different game. Whole other game mechanic takes place there. While you can take advantage of what SL expansion and gear brings on RK, it usually also means you need whole other skills and gear while traveling over SL.
- stear away from investing IP into tradeskills before lvl 100+. If it's not your cup of tea, you don't have to invest into them at all, but below lvl 100 (or even 130) it can gimp you.
- don't despair and have fun, it's just a game (even if it is challenging one)
"War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
-The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon May 17, 2010 5:55 pm

2 things mean EVERYTHING to an engi...

NCU... The more ncu you have, the more buffs you can run!

Core Nano Skills... MC & T&S for your pet and MM for shields and combat arays.

You may not know it, but you can get a much bigger bot by using not just MP buffs, but also a wrangle from a Trader, the wrangle lasts a VERY short time, however, when it drops you aim to be not OverEquipped, then the bot will still listen to you.

So, MC & T&S Mochams 140 + 131 Wrangle + comp nano 20 + comp att (about) 3 = 294 + your skill
163 + your skill AFTER the wrangle goes down...

Make sense?

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Post by Niodemus » Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Snakebite wrote: So, MC & T&S Mochams 140 + 131 Wrangle + comp nano 20 + comp att (about) 3 = 294 + your skill
163 + your skill AFTER the wrangle goes down...
Might be worth to mention that the overequip factor is 0.8(1?), so make sure your skills remain over "yourskill / 0.8" after the wrangle ran out... else the bot won't listen to your commands ... or guard you anymore.

Quick breakdown on numbers:
Your maxed MC+TS skills should be at 330 with the above stated Abilities. With QL100 implants for MC+TS (from the pre-build implant Engi terminal in Basic Shops) and Comp. Nanoskills you are at 405... unless you drop in Intelligence/Stamina/Agility ... so lets go with just 400 to be on the sure side.

400/0.8=500... that makes a Common Guardbot of level 96 castable and commandable after buffs run out.... yes the bot has slightly lower level than the nano untill Slayers orso.
Taking in Comp. Masteries (from MP, +50) you may control a Perfected Guardbot of level 106 while the Masteries are running.
Both bots should be rather red to you... and also dish out a bunch of damage. With those you should be able to kill all but the two highlevel unique monster in Nascence and even run well in Elysium lowlevel content. But be aware that those places may level you faster than your cash allows... it's your choice.

That's just a quick breakdown without real twinking. Also the Perfected Guardbot is the 2nd last or last bot you can buy at the superior shops. The further ones you have to find in missions.

Hope that helps you at least a bit...
Regards
Nio

ps: Treatment shouldn't be a problem with the skill you have already. Treatment Expertise + Med-Suit + SFA from a Doc + Surgery clinic buff (213+20+78+80+100=491) are enough for QL100 impants which require "only" 479 treatment.

nutcase69

Post by nutcase69 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:21 pm

thanks for the info i will try and get this running, i have just installed QL 75 in most of the implant slots except left wrist, right arm and right hand.

my TS is now 390 when buffed with the nano
my MC is now 428 with no buff

is this because of my implants? i also read in one of the replies that i should be creating my own implants dont i need trade skills for this?

i will try and get better pistols and look for the medic suite.

thanks all

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon May 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Quick update, my 60 engi on Atlantian is running Perfected guardbot as her top bot (but I need mochams every hour...).

And she's nowhere near twinked, but then I've been playing longer so it kind of makes it sound easy.