Nano Technician Help

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Soron703

Nano Technician Help

Post by Soron703 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:19 pm

So I rolled up a nano techie. I have a question about there nano programs. Is it a good rule of thumb that if they share the same hot-bar image that they are the same nano program line and are upgrades of previous versions ?

Like say ... Corrosive Spray and Acidic Projection. Same hot bar image but (Looks like a bolt of acid) ...

Corrosive Spray: Fires a spray of corrosive liquid at the target, which inflicts 17-30 points of damage.

Acidic Spray: Sprays the target with weak acid, inflicting 24-43 points of chemical-based damage.

They seem to be different (not only in damage but there speeds and nano cost) but the similar hot-bar images makes it confusing, believe they where both QL10 also. So are they a upgrade for one or another or two separate nano programs for different occasions ?

If there the same line why are both QL10 (I assume QL is like the general level of a item). If there different I guess Ill just have to remember that they are, looking at the hot-bar and seeing two of the same hot-bar image's makes it confusing a little atleast fo me as a noob :P

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Sadly the hotbar icons will differ between each of the "different" nukes

If I can remember correctly from my NT there's 4-5 categories of nukes:

-Short cast/Medium Recharge (around 1/3 for most of them, nice to have for a quick finisher when at low levels or for high levels if you get init debuffed)

-Medium cast/short recharge (around 3/1 for most of them and the ones that most of the time will give you the best DPM (damage per minute) and can quickly be insta-casted with enough nano init)

-Medium cast/medium recharge (around 3/3 for most of them, these often have a bit higher minimum dmg so they can be handy in the Shadowlands. They can also contain debuffs in addition, such as Crown of Frost which debuffs nano skills)

-Long cast/medium recharge (Veeery long cast time, so mostly just an opener if you can attack something before it sees you)

-AoE (Area of Effect nanos, pewpew!)

Might've missed some of them since it's been a long time since i played my NT seriously.

What I found out was a good idea was to have each of the top one of these I could cast on a certain spot on a second hotbar, as well as having some of the ones that debuff after those.

My NT prolly has the most messy hotbar of all my chars for obvious reasons, hehe. Gotta be quite organized to play an NT effectively :D

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Post by Niodemus » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:04 pm

The differences between the "nuke-classes" Quilluck described really well.

Trying to recall from my nearly ancient experiences playing a NT ... think I prefered the short cast / medium recharge while wearing a weapon at lower levels. Nano recharge is not effected by weapons and offered additional dpm. Paired the nano damage with a scyth from ToTW untill like level 70 or 80...

In the end it's up to you if & what you combine with your nukes. From a certain level on the NT cyberdeck becomes more useful than weapons... when you change eventually is up to you though.... in case you have the SL expansion that is. I have seen quite some NTs using weapons up to the first shadowlevels.

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:01 am

personally I always just went for what calculated as the best DPS on one of the many nuke calculators out there, and of course the biggest AoE I could (AoE's can actually be the best single dps though not best dpn)

I'd check the calculators if I where you and get used to them, you dont want to really be buying every single nuke rather just 1 every so often that gives the best results for what your after.

If you have SL once you hit 50 nukes become a bit more cut down as most SL nukes outstrip the RK nanos by far, and if you have LE and dont mind spending a few VP on a stripped cyberdeck you can get some mad damage for your level (though tends to require a bit of twinkage)

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 am

http://www.ramorak.com/sl/nukes.asp

very nice calc to see which nukes you get the best damage out of :-)

Soron703

Post by Soron703 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:07 am

I see since they all are on the same reuse timer I just pick one I like or the best one and just use that? Alright I'm used to other games with "spells" on different timers :P

Thanks for the suggestions!

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:32 am

Soron703 wrote:I see since they all are on the same reuse timer I just pick one I like or the best one and just use that? Alright I'm used to other games with "spells" on different timers :P

Thanks for the suggestions!
Personally I varied a bit, as I said.. some of them are nice openers if you are able to get a bit of distance between yourself and the mob without it agging you (For instance is one of the bigger mission rooms or corridors or outdoors without any obstacles in the way) Some are nice for finishing, the 1/3 nukes can be very handy if you are up against a mob that is able to debuff your nano init, and some are very nice for the debuffs they give (For instance the ones that debuff nanoskills to potentially avoid being debuffed by that mob, or the ones that debuff evades) and can be a useful opener against some mobs.

anton*123

Post by anton*123 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:25 am

Hi there yeah i also made a NT not that long ago he's lvl 120 now though lol,

all i would say is to max all your abailty's that u need and max out nano pool aslo, also max out nano int how fast u cast nano's and mc,

as for wep line we dont rly use one, if you have SL you can get the very nifty deck +25mc/all others at lvl 50 then + 50 to all/mc and other at lvl 100 very usefull.

I didnt realy enjoy my Nt at first but now i love him.

NUKE's FTW lol :P
Anthony