Professions Guides

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Akozz

Professions Guides

Post by Akozz » Tue May 26, 2009 12:37 am

7 years and only 6 Professions Guides ? Oh come on ! Those 6 on this site are really good but i believe there is many people who knows almos if not all about Anarchy. Could some of them make more guides ? Eg: doctor, fixer ? When I started playing AO those guids helped me a lot ! and i think many people would be happy to se some new guides.

Guides makes game easiest to play for new players and that increase chance for AO to survive another years. And I think this is what we want. Right ?
So grab your keybord and share your knowledge.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Tue May 26, 2009 6:53 am

You are more than welcome to submit guides on the professions you feel you can write a guide on.

Please submit it via our contact form!!

:)

Akozz

Post by Akozz » Tue May 26, 2009 9:17 am

I would love to do that if only my english was batter and my knowledge about AO :P
But I guess one 100lvl enfo and some 20~40 toons is not that kind of experience I could share :P

But as I said before, there is a lot players with experience they could share.

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 am

Don't think AOU is 7 years old first of all :P

Secondly for profession guides it is highly recommended that a player with vast experience with the profession writes it up. Sadly the researchers can't roll a character, level it to 220-ish and spend about a year to learn the profession properly before starting to actually write a profession guide.

Finding someone with a lot of experience with a profession that is also willing to write a guide is quite hard. I can tell you from experience that it is a horrible thing to jump into, it takes a lot of work and effort and it is very demanding.

As Ukblizzard said, we are more than willing to accept profession guides, but it is also perhaps the most difficult guides to get hold of.

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Wed May 27, 2009 4:52 pm

That and the games really about playing it how you want to.

Specially as these days PVPers and such would tell you to build your character in a certain way that goes against what the class is technically about (Fixers and Onehander? All support classes using shensticks? What the...)

Best way to find things out is play for yourself and perhaps ask questions here or in game and see what people suggest.

Personally I only really bother playing fixers these days, but i've played practically all the classes.

Niodemus
AOU Content Editor

Post by Niodemus » Wed May 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Quilluck wrote: Secondly for profession guides it is highly recommended that a player with vast experience with the profession writes it up. Sadly the researchers can't roll a character, level it to 220-ish and spend about a year to learn the profession properly before starting to actually write a profession guide.
I can state now that it is not required to know everything about a profession to write a guide. However it's a lot lot lot lot harder to write about a profession you haven't really experienced yourself.

Just to give you an idea on how hard it is to write guides for other professions... I'm sitting on the Shade guide since 19th March ...and it's not really finished yet. And actually Shades are quite a straight forward class ... I don't want to know how it is with professions who have more options *shudders*

Even if you know the profession you write about very well a reasonable guide takes a lot of time, research and work. In the end a simple wall of text has no use at all.

Akozz

Post by Akozz » Wed May 27, 2009 9:31 pm

I do understand all those things. At least i think I do :P but....

Maybe You think that guide should cover all aspects and has a lot details in it to be good. Well im not saying it wont but things which are obvios for you might be very useful for beginners. Eg. I've met enginier who were using shotguns and rifles and he was very surprised when I asked him about his robot. Or from my own experience, about 5 years ago when i've first time created toon in AO, soldier, I tgought soldier should use all guns :P so I were using all kinds of ranged weapons and wasting my IP.

Im talking about just the most important things.
Examples:
1. abilities
which are important, which are less

2. skills
there is really a lot of people who need to be told that skills like swimming are not essential

3. weapons
to give the main idea on what should thye focus. Rifles are good for agent but migh be not the best choice for fixer. And not to change your "weapon
path" every time they find new nice looking gun.

4. armors
just the main ideas what kind of armors are good for certain prof. or at least on what type of armors should they focus, eg. armor that needs inteligence might be not the best choice for atrox enforcer

5. nanos
which are the most important, the "must have".

There don't have to be explained whol path from level one to 220. People will learn what their prof is made for, they will find they way. But they need someone who will show them their path at the very begining.
It's really depresing when in some point You are realizing that all your choices were wrong and You need to reset all your skills and start from the begining.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed May 27, 2009 10:05 pm

It's realy not that easy...

Many of the proffs have various directions then can go in, making any generalised breakdown usless.

Also race can make a huge impact on how & WHY various proffs are played/setup in certain ways...!
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Corryn

guides

Post by Corryn » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 pm

there a guide anywhere for a Martial Artist?

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Not on this site, sorry

Scoopx
AOU Reporter

Post by Scoopx » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:06 pm

While AOU may not have a lot of guides, we do provide support and try to answer all the questions put us to the best of our abilities. For a guide that you might not find here I would suggest that you look at the Profession Academies forum on AO Profession Forums. A lot of people have taken the time to write up various guides for each profession. As much as we would like to list those guides here on AOU, we don't have the permission of the authors to do so.
And now You know!

Roger "Scoopx" Johnson
Cub-Reporter for Rubi-Ka Times
Neutral Division
[img]http://www.scene-and-heard.com/ao/sigs/sig_scoopx.jpg[/img]

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:44 pm

I might add that we will accept guides submitted in less than perfect English!
We do have numerous people who could, and would, edit them!
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:20 am

I was toying with the idea of writing up a pistol MP guide, but tbh I've forgotten what I did in some parts during the 4+ yrs of playing one, and the first 100ish lvls I was stumbling around blind as it was my first character.