Trying to install full client. About to go postal.

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Thunderwear

Trying to install full client. About to go postal.

Post by Thunderwear » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:18 am

I've tried DL'ing the full client at least 3 times now including from AO and from Fileplanet.

I keep getting this message during the install:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\programfiles\funcom\anarchyonline\cd_image\data\db\resourcedatabase.dat

An error occurred while trying to copy a file:
The source is corrupted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I think I did get it to install once but never could get it to patch. Patching error referred to data cab file. I've tried all the suggestions I've found in forums.

From AO tech help (which didn't help any since it didn't find any corrupted files):

*Corrupted files or patching problem?
Uses:

1) Corrupted files error messages
2) Missing files error messages

The tool is located here:

ftp://download.anarchy-online.com/patches/aorepair.exe

Tried DL'ing files from:
http://ftp.funcom.com:7013/c/v17.10.5_EP1-v18.0.0_EP1/

and putting them in the patches folder. This worked for the small client but didn't help with full client.

I'm about to just say fuggit and forget AO since Funcom doesn't seem to really want it to be easy for people to play the game. I played AO for a few years back in the old days and wanted to try it again but I'm not gonna pull out all my hair to get this to work.

And to top it off, I thought I'd post for some help in the official forums but I can't even logon the forums there. I can log into my account in the "My Account" section but not in the forums. On the account page there is a part that implies you need to create a different forum user name and password and that didn't work either.

Looked like this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forum Details
Set your login details to the Anarchy Online forums

[ Change ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anything anyone can think of that I've missed.

Fourthaid
AOU Content Editor

Post by Fourthaid » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:30 am

Do you have Vista? If that is the case, have a look at this thread

Thunderwear

Post by Thunderwear » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:54 am

I use XP SP2. Forgot to mention that.

About a year ago I came back to AO for a while. I had the old AO CD and the SL CD but when I tried using those to load the game it didn't work. Someone in forums said they could be used anymore since the base client had changed, or something like that. I DL'd the full client ok back then but since have built a new system and discarded the old hard drive.

I've never had this much trouble with any game installation or patching and I've seen some bad stuff in my time.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:28 am

Ok, trash EVERYTHING you can find to do with AO... Leave no stone unturned...

Then try installing the large client again, when you patch it, it asks if you want to make backups, I've NEVER done this & have NEVER had a problem (even when lots of other people have)...

Failing that...

AO does not need a registry entry for it to work (it makes one if you install it properly but doesn't need it to run), so, do you know anyone who has the game installed?
If so, get them to drop the whole AO folder onto a disk for you & just transfer it onto your drive...
I have a full install on one of my phones memory cards, & when I format, I just swap it over (it's slow as hell cos my phone isn't meant to move files this size, but it works). & the disk will work faster...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Thunderwear

Post by Thunderwear » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:09 pm

I think I tried the "trash everything AO" thing already but it can't hurt to try again. I really don't want to delete the small client since I can at least play that when I'm not bashing my head with a hammer. I just have the folder renamed when I'm trying the full client install. I guess I could copy it over to my other PC via file sharing but I'd rather not it isn't absolutley necessary.

I'm not sure if you are trying to tell me to accept the patch files backup or not but I typically don't do it. And, unfortunatley I don't know anyone else that plays AO.

Am I correct in that my old classic AO & SL CDs are not usefull anymore?

I'm gonna send an email to Funcom support on this problem. Maybe they can burn me a copy of a working client if it comes to that but I'm not getting any hopes up.

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Thunderwear wrote:I think I tried the "trash everything AO" thing already but it can't hurt to try again. I really don't want to delete the small client since I can at least play that when I'm not bashing my head with a hammer. I just have the folder renamed when I'm trying the full client install.
I would assume you arent, but figured I would post just to check... you arent starting AO from the small clients executable are you? I mean.. it isnt still pointing to that install?
I guess I could copy it over to my other PC.
I see that as a logical step just so you can clear the one computer of any install before trying a new one.
I'm not sure if you are trying to tell me to accept the patch files backup or not but I typically don't do it.
He meant, do not accept :)
Am I correct in that my old classic AO & SL CDs are not usefull anymore?
I still have mine, although last time I did a fresh install I just downloaded completely and it worked fine.
I'm gonna send an email to Funcom support on this problem. Maybe they can burn me a copy of a working client if it comes to that but I'm not getting any hopes up.
Really not sure what they will reply, but then again you never know unless you ask!

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Actualy, if you have a different PC, have you tried DLing/Installing AO on the other that...?

Thunderwear

Post by Thunderwear » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:15 pm

Houston, we have launch!

You know, I had thought of trying to DL the client to the other PC but for a cople of reasons I was making that a last ditch effort. The file DL'd, installed, and patched without a hitch on the other PC. Made a direct copy of the /Funcom directory to my main PC and all was good.

One of the reasons I had not tried that yet was that I've had a few problems in the past with direct file copies of installed games. Most notibly was DAOC. Even though the support folks said it would work it didn't.

I'm glad though to have the full client running on both PCs now since I like to run 2 toons. I can't get any of my old DAOC friends to play AO and it's not like it used to be in the old days in AO where teaming up was easy.

Anyway, I appreciate the help you guys provided.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~izamal/mycomp.jpg

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:12 am

Glad I could be of some help ^^ (I'm not the most technical person around lol).

However, remember, you can open more than one instance of AO on the same computer, just start up the client as normal & when you go to log in, you will get a little box telling you that there's another client already running & do you want to continue, just hit yes. Then you'll get 2 instances running at once...

There seems to be no limit to how many instances you can have running on a single computer apart from how powerful your computer is (my old comp would run 3 with only a few graphics effects running, but my new comp will run 5 at full graphics & 6 with a couple dumbed down (my own team ^^)).

However, make sure that all instances are minimised apart from the one you're currently using, as it creates some realy nasty mouse lag (AO uses a software mouse)... (I play in windowed mode, it's quicker to drop one instance & bring up another (or a browser window), but apparently you can alt+tab thru none windowed instances, but I've not tried this.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:14 am

j00 need BIGGER speakers lol.

Scoopx
AOU Reporter

Post by Scoopx » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:28 pm

I'm glad though to have the full client running on both PCs now since I like to run 2 toons. I can't get any of my old DAOC friends to play AO and it's not like it used to be in the old days in AO where teaming up was easy.

Midgard Thane forever!
And now You know!

Roger "Scoopx" Johnson
Cub-Reporter for Rubi-Ka Times
Neutral Division
[img]http://www.scene-and-heard.com/ao/sigs/sig_scoopx.jpg[/img]

Thunderwear

Post by Thunderwear » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Hey, don't diss my speakers man. They do me just fine. :lol:

Actually there is a sub woofer not visible behind the flat screen. As long as I can hear the game sounds I'm happy. I don't care if I have all the mega thump surround sound ear numbing effects and music. If for no other reason to protect what hearing I have left.

There was a time when I did the multiple account thing on 1 PC both in AO and in DAOC but that got old quick. That was when I decided to build a 2nd PC from spare parts to run 2 PCs. I built the keyboard tray for easy access to at least one of the other PCs. In DAOC I ran a SM with ML9 pet (salimander) on the main PC with healer & shammy on the other 2 PCs for heals & buffs. Only ran with 1 toon in pvp though, left the buff bots at the frontier gate as did most other folks.

I also made those foot pedels on the floor. I made them for playing FPS games back when I was a Quake junkie. I hated having to use my fingers to move forward/backward. I got some odd looks from people at the LAN parties. :lol:

Speaking of DAOC, I had lvl 50 toons on all 3 realms but my last 3 years was Midgard on Devon cluster. My thane was named Thunderwear.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:18 pm

Well, when you get your chars in an Org, chances are they'll have a Ventrillo or TeamSpeak server, so you'll be wanting a headset to run that on too ^^

Uragon
AOU Community Legend

Post by Uragon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:22 am

Some interesting note from an orgmate of mine that had a problem like that: It seems like the newest version of Skype interferes with AO downloads/installations. So for anybody having issues with getting AO to install, it might be worth giving deinstalling Skype a go if you're getting desperate. Details here: http://omnipol.sytes.net/viewtopic.php?t=4658