Mission Kill Person with Supplied Knife

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

TradeMinistry

Mission Kill Person with Supplied Knife

Post by TradeMinistry » Fri May 30, 2008 2:32 pm

So I got the message that the target was improperly killed. My problem is the supplied knife didn't actually do any damage, but it did produce a cycle bar. About one second attack, one second recharge IIRC.

I am hoping someone could help me out with the proper technique.

First I think I want to turn auto attack off. This would allow me to shut down the attack when the target is almost dead.

Also, I think that I need to have the supplied knife cycling when the target dies. In order to do this, I need to compare the attack time of the knife with the attack time of the Home Defender (2.5 seconds) and the Minor Health Funnel (3.0) seconds. I would start the weapon on what would hopefully be the killing blow, then start the knife hoping I got it right.

Paying more attention to the attack cycles, I've noticed that firing off an attack nano like Minor Health Funnel cancels the attack cycle of the shotgun, but does not preempt the recharge cycle. So I wonder if it is even possible to have the knife cycling at the same time as the shotgun or nano?

Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

I am also wondering if I should leave auto attack off? I am thinking this would foster better combat control habits and awareness.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

BTW, I was left clicking on the knive from inventory and right clicking on the target with it. I am wondering if I should have equipped the knife as a weapon? Red faced with embarrasement?

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Fri May 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Ok some people have lots of problems with this style of mission. I quite like it as it brings a bit of variance in challenge to the mission grind.

First things first, Yes you have to equip the knife as a weapon, its not a "on use do damage" item, but an actual weapon. That means you have to kill the target with the knife as a weapon

Now you may have noticed the knifes damage aint all that hot... as such this can cause trouble with the killing of the target so heres a few things to remember:

You only need to deal the killing blow with the knifes attack you can use other methods to lower there health
Damage buffs effect the knifes damage
Weapon skill buffs also to some extent increase its damage
Killing the enemy with special attacks while wielding the knife does not count as proper kill
Killing the enemy with reflect/damage shield damage does not count towards a proper kill

So with these in mind you just gotta take your time and be careful, turning auto attack off is always a good choice.

What I do is generally beat down with my guns/perks/nanos/specials untill there on there last box or so of health, and then switch out to the knife and just beat down on it using the normal attack. Luckily the knife has a very nice attack rate so it doesnt take that long to deal the finishing ammount of damage.

As you can tell its not the easiest mission type to do, as such many people avoid it, but it can be quite fun

Also bear in mind that the attack/recharge bars are just a visual thing, they dont always actually stand for the attack/recharge cycle, so when you cast a nano halfway through the bars attack charge of your weapon and it then freezes, it still carrys on to the full attack

Weeping Willow

Post by Weeping Willow » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:17 pm

at low to mid level ... unequiping your weapon to equipe a knife is not realy a good idea ...

and at higher level, you ll lack AR with knife so bad, you wont even hit the target ...

best thing is still to reroll another mish :)

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Not everyone twinks there weapons, and some people enjoy the difference and the challenge of killing them with the knife

Scene
AOU Community Legend

Post by Scene » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:13 pm

to avoid getting those missions, just set the good/bad slider all the way to Good in the mission terminal window (top slider iirc)

Weeping Willow

Post by Weeping Willow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:06 pm

Casorinth wrote:Not everyone twinks there weapons, and some people enjoy the difference and the challenge of killing them with the knife
some people juggle geese !

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:37 pm

I love a good goose juggle me ;)

michael clark

Re: Mission Kill Person with Supplied Knife

Post by michael clark » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:33 pm

New here!! I love using knife rather than other weapon! It's more exciting... 8)