Hi, and one or two questions

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

craggg

Hi, and one or two questions

Post by craggg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Thought I should drop by and say hello. I think I have spent a total of 18 hours so far in game, and I must say I am quite enjoying the whole experience.
The last and only mmo I have played was SWG. Fantasy mmo's dont really float my boat, and I am patiently awaiting the release of one or two sci-fi mmo's. I have been aware of AO's existence for a while but didn't think it would be any good, how wrong I was.
I believe I am level 18, which seems to have happened very quickly although I am aware of a slow increase in levelling time!
I do have a few questions, but the ones that spring to mind are thus:
How do I know my implants are working? Is there a way I can watch the increase in some stats as i fit an implant?
Secondly, as an engineer, what is a good way forward to increase my healing ability during combat?

Oh and thirdly, something interesting happened the other day to me in the subway. I got chatting to this guy, who convinced me to have my first duel, anyway we got chatting and to cut a long story very short, he gave me 2 million credits!! Don't get me wrong I am genuinley gratefull, as it was a really nice gesture, but I can't help feeling that I have cheated myself out of some fun game play.
I am the kind of player who 'appreciates the journey more than the destination' to coin a phrase. So I don't just wanna be the best in the quickest amount of time. Equally, I feel kind of liberated to set myself up within AO. Obviously his main character must have millions of creds for him to give a complete stranger 2 mill, but still, it has left me in a dilemma?
Part of me wants to throw the money, whilst part of me wants to go buy the stuff i want. And I have this feeling at the back of my mind that I have lost some experience in AO.
What do you guys think?

Ukblizzard
AOU Community Legend

Post by Ukblizzard » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi! Welcome to AO.. but more importantly AOU *grins*

Implants
Well, just like when you distribute IP in your skills window (U), when you put in a new implant your skill in this user interface will change either up if you are putting an implant fresh in.. or down if you take one out. This works as well for if someone buffs you with a nano program - any modifiers to your skills will show as a change in number in this window.

If you would like more information about Implants in general - and how they are made, you are welcome to check out Hahnsoos really extensive guide here.

Engineer healing capabilities...
I really have no idea at ALL about engineers - all I know is that they are really good at making things and they get cool bots to follow them around. Some engineers are not so good with screwdrivers and break Organisation HQ doors - please be aware of this matter if you are in an organisation with a city.. or are thinking of joining one *grins at Virta*

The third thing
I would guess that whoever you spoke to probably spoke to you at length and gave you some really good advice - thats probably one of the best things about AO. There are so many wonderful people in the AO Community who will take a lot of time out of their normal play time to help other people, especially newcomers to the game to explain some things and help them get started on their way.

I understand that maybe by suddenly getting 2m credits you may feel that as you didnt earn it yourself that you are perhaps "cheating" the game - but honestly, in my opinion dont just throw it!! :)

AO is a steep learning curve so maybe you could use the credits to help you learn more about tradeskilling. Learn about implants and armour crafting - check the classic AO knowledge guides (linked on the left).

Hope that was all useful advice.. or hmm ramblings!

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 pm

As Ukblizzard said...

1/ Hit 'U' & it will show you your skills.
Light green costs least IP (these are usualy your core skills)
Dark green costs a little more IP (these are usualy your secondary skills)
Light blue again costs more IP
Dark blue costs a lot more IP (these are usualy opposite your core skills)

2/ The obvious question to your 2nd question is:
Do you mean healing for YOU or for your BOT?

3/ Errr... Which server are you on? It could have always been me that gave you that 2mill lol. I often do this...
Look at it this way, without it, you will struggle to keep your implants, armour and nanos current, 2mill will NOT go a long with with new characters.
Also, when your engineer gets to a decent level & starts to make you reasonable money, you will be spending that cash on your alts too, so there's no real difference at all...

If you still feel wierd about the 2mill, then when you've gained cash & experience in the game, do the same for someone (or several someones), give them some cash & explain to them what to do with it & how to earn more...
That's what this community is all about, it's often been described as the most helpful community in mmos...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

craggg

Post by craggg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks for the info.
As for question two, I guess I would like to know what course of action to take to heal firstly me, and secondly my bot. As in should I be aiming to put my skill points into upping my nano skills, or into uping skills to use items?

As for which server I'm on, well its Rubi-Ka 2. And the guy who dropped me 2 mill was an alt specifically for duelling. His main who I met later is about two foot tall!

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm

For healing...

Buy your self a med suit in the shops in rome (assuming your omni ofcourse). This will boost both your First Aid and Treatment Skill by 78. This will allow you to use better healing kits/stims found in the Medical terminal in any shop. You cannot use these heals on your bot, they are only to self or other players.

Bot heals are things you need to roll in missions or buy from people. Go to www.aomaneframe.org and click Nano Listings, then Engineer. There you can find all the nano's needed in your engineer career.

Hope this helps a lot and welcome to Anarchy Online.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:50 am

EVERYTHING goes towards having your MC & T&S as high as possible, this designates the QL of bot you can use...

I dunno what lvl you are, but MC & T&S Mochams from an MP and a 131 wrangle (lasts just long enough to cast your bot) gives you the biggest bot possibly, when the Mochams die, your bot will become unresponsive because it is OE (over equipped), so you'll need those refreshing every hour...

http://auno.org/ao/nanos.php?prof=engineer

That link shows you all the engi nanos, & there's a little doobery at the bottom of the page that you point at your engis preffs file, it will show you which nanos you currently have uploaded & which you don't...

Nadab

RE: Engineer

Post by Nadab » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:44 pm

For the longest time, Linwu was my main... an engineer that focused on Tradeskills for the org I was in.... I used this forum FAQ as my bible for the ins & outs of Engineering-ish....... Engineering Guide Mk III

:( then I was seduced by the dark side and became a Fixer!
Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich********Corporal, Omni-Pol Field Ops**********T-Sgt1C Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, retired"If I'm the agent Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?"Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

craggg

Post by craggg » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Wow, thanks for all the tips. This has really helped me focus in on my career. One thing though, this:
Snakebite wrote: I dunno what lvl you are, but MC & T&S Mochams from an MP and a 131 wrangle (lasts just long enough to cast your bot) gives you the biggest bot possibly, when the Mochams die, your bot will become unresponsive because it is OE (over equipped), so you'll need those refreshing every hour...
went completely over my head! It sounds great but I don't understand

:lol:

BTW, I am level 18 and neutral ATM, but that could change.

OTdude

Post by OTdude » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:45 pm

MC and TS = Matter Creations, Space and Time. This requires 50-52 NCU each and gives +140 to those skills. An 131 Wrangle is a buff from a Trader Proffesion and adds to certian skills such as Weapon (all except the specials like Aimed Shot, Burst, Fling Shot, etc.) and Nano Skills. These both will add +271 to your skills, requiring about 140-150 NCU Max. And since your bots will last forever (unless killed or you log out) unlike the Meta-Physicist or Bureucrat when the pets time out, you will only need the buffs one time.

To check if the bot will still follow your commands when the buffs run out, cast MC and TS Expertise. Then type /tell itemsbot !oe <current skill>

Make sure you type the lowest skill of the two (MC and TS). It should say something like "With a skill of ___, you should be un over-equiped with ___. With a requirment of ___, your current over-equiped skill will be ___."

Then find the bot with that skill you can get un over-equiped and find either Mocham's or a 131 Wrangle. I honestly prefer the 131 Wrangle because it only lasts for 3 minutes and it takes up much less NCU than needed for both Mocham's Gift buffs.

venuswitch

Post by venuswitch » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:02 am

hi all ? what does it mean when one of your skills are in red???/ :?: :shock: :? :? :? :? :?

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:41 am

venuswitch wrote:hi all ? what does it mean when one of your skills are in red???/ :?: :shock: :? :? :? :? :?
It means that one of your items has a debuff on it, such as the vagabond cloak debuffs 1 point in Sense I belive...

Also happens when you have died and are still rezzing...

Basicaly it means the end skill is actualy lower than the points you've put into it should make it.

Hahnsoo

Post by Hahnsoo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:41 am

venuswitch wrote:hi all ? what does it mean when one of your skills are in red?<snip>
No need for the extra emotes and punctuation. A skill in red means that there is some sort of penalty that you have that is bringing your skill or ability below the base skill or ability. The best early example is the Range Meter, which gives -1 Sense (thus, usually bringing Sense below your base unmodified Sense abilitt).
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." G.K.Chesterton
Years of experience means years of learning bad habits.
~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~ My AO Guide

Koudman

Re: Hi, and one or two questions

Post by Koudman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:02 pm

craggg wrote:and to cut a long story very short, he gave me 2 million credits!!
If you go keep on playing and leveling, soon 15 million credits will seem little for you. So, nothing to worry about; I got 200k credits from a stranger when I started playing, I was as happy as ever; a friend of mine got 80 million credits from a stranger, so, yeah. A thing to think about.