Ergo Chat (Guarding the Source Quest)

Old threads for viewing only

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Ergo Chat (Guarding the Source Quest)

Post by Windguaerd » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Once again the sight of Ergo indicates the point of transition into a different part of this dimension of shadows. This time around, the metallic gatekeeper seems to be a bit less energetic than usual. Not the sparkly, humming and yes, a bit comical figure you have learned to know.After observing him for a second, you realize that it is the last thing that is missing. There is nothing joyful about this instance of Ergo.He does not seem to notice you at all.
Windguaerd: Greetings once again Ergo!
A slight turning of the floating head is the only visual indication that Ergo is aware of your precence. A tiny screen flickers to life.
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: OUT OF DATA ERROR
Windguaerd: Insert recovery unit.
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: Yes, as I was saying, Master, I have implemented the changes, but I am afraid it might already be too late. The fall seems unavoidable at this point. I receive reports of twisted spirits and nightmare spawns every day now. The political situation is as delicate as ever, I do not know what will happen to those that remain behind when the arks leave. We can only hope that whatever is in store for us, this security installation will keep the Source protected. My calculations show that my system should be able to survive, but what will become of the Xan or the land itself, we can only speculate..
Windguaerd: What sort of changes did you do?
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: I've upgraded the nodes so that they are prepared for the increased usage that will occur as the ships leave the planet. We agreed we would need to use more power then, Master.
Windguaerd: What are these nodes that you talk about?
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: The nodes? They are my connection points to the Source - 9 of them to be precise. They help me distribute the flow of the energy coming from the Source, to prevent anyone from using too much of it so that no harm may come to them. Of course, some find ways around the system, but mostly I am able to control the use of the Source. Here - let me show you!
The picture on the screen changes, and you see a web of blinking lights linked together in an intricate pattern.
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: Wait! What is this? No connection? Excuse me!
Ergo suddenly seems to be very busy.
Windguaerd: What's the problem?
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: It's not a problem - it's a disaster! My nodes are gone! No connection! I wonder what happened here. I can't even find a trace of them disappearing. My logs show that they were here just now, and then next thing they are gone. This cannot happen. It should not happen!
The upgrade couldn't have caused this. But what else could it be? The Security Unit Modification program is genetic and without control of it, we won't know what the intelligence might be up to given enough time. We must find the error immediately.
I will need the code to activate the failsafe program before it is too late.
Can you help me get this code?
Windguaerd: I'll help you!
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: The code is stored in the secure areas of the largest of the Notum batteries. I must be suffering from some interference though, my scans show the area has been altered, the layout is different than what it should be. Or maybe this is showing old data? Without my nodes I can't get any updated information. I know that Libra guarded the code, according to what little info I have, he is still there. You must help me retrieve it, Master.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: Was it a success?
Windguaerd: I have the activation code!
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: Please let me have it, my Master!
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: There! That should delete the Security Unit Modification program, and... What is this? No access to the terminal either? It seems as if it is blocking my access! We need to act quickly. We need to shut down the terminal so I can access my nodes again, and then I can build a new terminal to replace this obviously broken one!
The terminal can be found in the heart of the place called Pandemonium, as close to the Source as your kind can go. Find it and shut it down! But be careful though, it could take any form, and it might even be hostile.
Windguaerd: Wait a minute, are you talking about the Beast here?
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: The Beast? Is that what the terminal calls itself these days?
Shut it down so that I can again get access to the nodes and ensure the protection of the Source.
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:43 pm

More Questions
Description:
More Questions

If the Beast is really the terminal, then who is this Number Nine?
Why is it always that in search for the answer to one question, you end up having more questions?
Ergo mentioned there were 9 nodes. Maybe this Number Nine is one of those nodes?
But what is it doing on Rubi-Ka, and what part has it played over time?

Reward:
Cash: 1000000 credits
Experience: (Up to) 91708 SK.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Number Nine: Humans?
That does not compute.
Windguaerd: Who are you?
Number Nine: That is irrelevant.
Windguaerd: What are you doing here?
Number Nine: Yes. That is a relevant question for this entity to ask.
Windguaerd: Why do you refer to me as an entity?
Number Nine: That is the way I was programmed.
But your question does not relate to the message I was instructed to deliver.
Windguaerd: A message?
Number Nine: Yes, I am here to convey a message to the entities that terminate the miserable life of the Protector.
Windguaerd: It would seem to me that you are some sort of machine. How come you refer to this Protector with human feelings?
Number Nine: I was programmed to express human-like feelings.
Windguaerd: Why?
Number Nine: To make you feel more comfortable in communicating with me.
I was programmed to minimize the risk of entities terminating the conversation before delivery of necessary data is completed.
Windguaerd: You're doing a good job...
Number Nine: That makes me very happy to hear!
Windguaerd: Who is the Protector?
Number Nine: The Protector is, or perhaps was, the creature guarding the Source.
Terminating his life would grant you access to this area.
The probability that an unevolved human being would reach me before the year 35433 was extremely small according to my calculations.
Windguaerd: So my presence here surprises you?
Number Nine: That would be the way you humans perceive my reaction.
Isn't it joyful the way we communicate and share data?
Since the sound of this machine's voice isn't revealing any emotions, you can't tell if it is being sincere or sarcastic.
Windguaerd: Why did you refer to me as an entity earlier?
Number Nine: That is the way I was programmed.
But your question does not relate to the message I was instructed to deliver.
Windguaerd: A message?
Number Nine: Yes, I am here to convey a message to the entities that terminate the miserable life of the Protector.
Windguaerd: What kind of message are you talking about?
Number Nine: Now, it is very important that you answer thruthfully to the following questions.
Did you terminate the Protector, or the Beast as some would call him?
Is his life ended and is the Source, or the bright shining light as it may appear, left without a guardian of some kind?
Windguaerd: Yes, the Beast is dead and the Source is left unprotected.
The small droid falls silent. All you can hear is a low frequency hum as its memory units are accessed. Now the droid continues but with a completely different voice. It sounds very...distant. You get the feeling you aren't talking to the droid anymore.
Number Nine: I am sorry to hear about the tragic events leading to your presence here.
You have now passed a point of no return, and every human being on Rubi-Ka will suffer the consequences.
Windguaerd: What have I done wrong?
Number Nine: The Protector has fallen. You are forcing their hand, and Rubi-Ka is in danger. For what?
For power..
For money..
For Divinity?
When will you evolve beyond artificial needs and see the truth?
Windguaerd: Whose hand am I forcing?
There is a minute of silence before the voice continues.
Number Nine: They are watching, always in tune.
And there is no way of stopping them...
Windguaerd: Stopping who?!
The droid hums briefly then replies with its emoitionless voice.
Number Nine: End of message. Please stand by for termination.
Program terminated.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: What did you find?
What news do you bring?
Windguaerd: I fought the Beast, I traveled far. I found node number Nine!
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: Your news are of great importance, quickly - tell!
Windguaerd: The Beast guarded the Source, he put up quite the fight.
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: I presume you won?
Windguaerd: Yes, we won the battle, and the search went on, into a place where the node was found.
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: My precious node! Did you find out what was wrong?
You see Master, I still can't access any of the nodes, and it makes no sense. They can't be gone - I had access to them only a brief moment ago, right before last time we talked!
But you are sure you found Number Nine? It is the last installed node and it is vital for the transportation. We need it to guide the arks off the planet. You say you found it? In what condition? Did it display any messages to let us know what happened to it?
Windguaerd: I couldn't see what was wrong. It seemed to be some recorded message saying "they are coming".
Ergo, Inferno Guardian of Shadows: A recorded message? Such thing should not be. Why would someone put that there - unless someone is trying to prevent the ships from leaving the planet? I was so sure the nodes would be secured against attacks. But if the terminal was broken, maybe all the nodes got corrupted too.
Is this the beginning of the end?
Is this what will become of this, the Land of Eternal Light? Will the Light be consumed by Shadows and the land fall into Darkness? We must hurry then. Leave while there is still time! May the stars show you the way.