Peacekeeper Constad

Old threads for viewing only

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Peacekeeper Constad

Post by Windguaerd » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:22 am

Peacekeeper Constad looks up from his datapad as you approach, the frown on his face deep set. Turning to face you completely, he offers a quick nod.
Peacekeeper Constad: Welcome back, Windguaerd. Got any information for me?
Windguaerd: Something like that. She told me to give you this and relay a message.
Peacekeeper Constad: Oh? Hopefully good news. Could use some of that.
You pass over the datachip to Constad, the Peacekeeper plugging it directly into his wristpad. As the data begins loading he stares impassively down to the display.
Peacekeeper Constad: So what was the message she had for me?
Windguaerd: She said that the transmission came from the other side of the planet. And that it might be time to "call in the reinforcements." Something about "the last resort option."
Constad's face slowly drops, what little colour he had quickly draining from his cheeks as a result of both your statement and the information flowing across his wristpad.
Peacekeeper Constad: Aw.... hell.
Windguaerd: What? What is it?
Peacekeeper Constad: This is bad... really, really bad, actually. And it's going to force me to make a call I didn't want to make. Dammit. Dammit, dammit, dammit!
Windguaerd: What?!
Constad shakes his head quietly, eyes slowly closing.
Peacekeeper Constad: Look. Sorry. Sorry, didn't mean to snap like that. This is just bad news for me - For all of us, really. Coursey told you they're on the other side of the planet - The problem here is that our jurisdiction doesn't extend that far right now. We don't have the rights to go in... and, to be quite frank, we don't have the means either. There are... well, there are circumstances. Things I can't talk about right now. But if their location is where I'm thinking it is, it explains a lot of things.
Windguaerd: Such as?
Constad's voice drops to a near whisper as he speaks, a frown etched deep onto his face.
Peacekeeper Constad: Haven't you wondered at all why the Dust Brigade have been so damn interested in the ruins here on Rubi-Ka? Why they keep digging up old bits and pieces of tech? It's the Xan. It's all related to the Xan. And the Outzone is...
Constad's eyes shift slightly, scanning around the area nervously.
Peacekeeper Constad: I can't say much more. But there's a lot there that would keep them very occupied, and very, very happy. The Outzone is mostly unexplored, but we do know from satellite imagery that there are things out there that any individual would love to get their hands on. It's one of the reasons the terraforming of Rubi-Ka hasn't expanded more than it has - There's an old treaty designed to keep people out of there.
Windguaerd: What are you saying?
Peacekeeper Constad: The ICC and Omni-Tek have a long-standing agreement not to go into certain parts of the Outzone. That some things need to remain hidden. It's not exactly a matter of public record, it's something we... well, we have our reasons. We can't stop people from trying to get out there, mind you, and there have been people dumb enough to attempt settling in the Outzone, but they almost never survive. If the Dust Brigade managed to penetrate that far into the Outzone, though... dammit. I'm really going to have to make this call, aren't I?
Windguaerd: What call? You're not making sense anymore, Constad.
Constad sighs slightly, pressing a few buttons on his wristpad.
Peacekeeper Constad: This is beyond you and me now. The reinforcements... they're people trained to go where we in the ICC can't right now. And I don't want to do this, but I'm going to have to. We'll have to work with them to get out there and figure out exactly what's going on. I've got to call in the Unicorns.
Windguaerd: ... you're kidding, right?
Peacekeeper Constad: I wish I was. Look, I know you're not a fan of Omni-Tek, and frankly I'm completely neutral in this whole thing you guys have against them. The problem here is the precedent. We're talking about breaking down a very old, very well-respected treaty. There are reasons that we've tried to keep people from going into the Outzone. Hell, most of those reasons even I'm not privvy to. All I know is that we're entering slippery slope territory. Once we set foot out there... things are going to change. Drastically.
Windguaerd: Is there anything else I can do?
Peacekeeper Constad: Right now? No. And I wish there was but there isn't. I've got a lot of work ahead of me now... too much work, stuff I can't say as I really want to do. This may be the last time we get the chance to really talk as well. But I have the feeling that before long... well. Like I said, things are going to change. And you might find yourself wrapped up in it.
Constad sighs slightly as a small beep comes from his wristpad.
Peacekeeper Constad: Yeah, I was waiting for that. ICC headquarters is ringing me. Look, I'm sorry to cut this short, Windguaerd, but I have to take this. Go talk to Coursey one more time, tell her that I'm in touch with HQ. And... again. Thank you for all that you've done.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.