Arid Rift NPC chats

Old threads for viewing only

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:16 am

Dr. Torgrim Ness: I could hear you... Don't bother sneaking up on me... you're really bad at it.
Noticiero: I've brought supplies...
Dr. Torgrim Ness: Hah! Right kiddo... Sarcastic much?
Noticiero: No for real, this time I have brought supplies... from professor Parser.
Dr. Torgrim Ness: Pie I hope? I've had the munchies for some time now.
Dr. Ness whistles.
Dr. Torgrim Ness: Steak and kidney pie! Oh, and paper work. Lovely...
He eats heartily.
Noticiero: I was supposed to bring back some kind of sample of your work to professor Parser.
Dr. Torgrim Ness: Of course you were... May I beg you to sit down and wait until I have finished this delicious pie? Mh-hm it's good!
Noticiero: Would you mind telling me about your work out in the field?
He takes a great piece of pie and you can barely hear what he's saying while he chews.
Dr. Torgrim Ness: You 'ow... I ee' quite alo' o things tha's goin' on, from up here.
He finishes chomping.
Dr. Torgrim Ness: There're great deals of activities down in the canyon. I see aliens and men. The latter not returning so frequently, but I can't quite figure out what's going on. It must've something to do with the aliens... Sometimes I can see a huge ship taking off and landing on that platform down there.
His eyes twinkles.
Dr. Torgrim Ness: I've heard a rumor... some people say that there might be surviving Xan! Hearsay can't be taken as a serious fact though...
He swallows the last piece of the pie patting delightedly on his belly.
Dr. Torgrim Ness: Anyway...
He picks up a sealed container from the ground.
Dr. Torgrim Ness: Here's the sample of my work you asked for.
Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:33 am

Professor Morgan Parser: Ah, Noticiero! Did you find Dr. Ness?
Noticiero: I delivered the supplies.
Professor Morgan Parser: Not bad... I've been reading the reports Dr. Ness gave Masoud... The objects he describe gives us an idea how the Xan was forced to live a different life after the cataclysm, and on Rubi-ka too! Especially the arrowhead is an interesting detail. As we have learned from the Yuttocra, the Xan were beings of pure energy. They didn't hunt for food the way we do, but after the connection to the source was broken, the core of their beings changed.
Noticiero: I didn't know this.
Professor Morgan Parser: If you're interested, you should visit the Yuttocra in Shadowlands. As an anthropologist I have spent many years learning from them, unfortunately they don't distribute knowledge the same way we do, in books and files. They value a living form of knowledge so you have to talk to them in person in most cases.

Anyway, Dr. Ness's reports also includes the findings of a well preserved Xan ruin, and Dr. Ness asks for a person named Noticiero to examine it. That's... you, isn't it? You must've made an impression.
Did you bring samples of his work?
He quickly pockets the sealed container and gives you a brief smile.
Professor Morgan Parser:
I have to tend to some work right away. Come back later! I'm very interested in whether you find a Xan ruin that looks well preserved enough to enter. I'll upload the approximate coordinates into your NCU.
AO Universe - Site Founder (Retired) | AOSpeak - Founder (Retired) | AO RecipeBook - Founder (Retired)

Keep in mind: My posts/views are not representative of AO-Universe in any way, shape or form. They are my own personal views and thoughts.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:56 am

Got this when I opened chests in "A Way In" mission.
The machinery in here resembles something you've previously seen in Shadowlands.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 am

Professor Morgan Parser: Please, I am on the urge of a major breakthrough. You better have a good excuse for postponing the evolutionary process!
Noticiero: Can we talk? Something happened in the ruin...
Professor Morgan Parser: This isn't the best of times Noticiero... I feel like I'm on the verge of making a huge breakthrough. I just need to run some tests... Will you do me a favor? There have been reports that claim there are vast amounts of Kyr'Ozch Collectors in close surroundings of the south ruins. They are carrying off artifacts and I really need to learn why.
Noticiero: Guessing it wouldn't do much good to ask them nicely?
The professor chuckles.
Professor Morgan Parser: I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh to you at first... We're very grateful for your effort. When you bring me three pieces of evidence I'll take some time to discuss what you saw. Until then I really need to study the existing results.
Noticiero: So what are you saying I should do?
Professor Morgan Parser: Use your imagination, Noticiero. I don't care how you get a hold of what they are carrying; just make sure you bring it back to me.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 am

Professor Morgan Parser: Yes? Where were we...
Noticiero: Killing them did the trick... I got a hold of the items they possessed.
Professor Morgan Parser: O-absolutely-amazing! When you were gone I had time to go through some of the previous conclusions... It all adds up. Please, may I see what you found?
You can see him study the pieces one by one.
Professor Morgan Parser: Like I said, it all adds up. I need one last confirmation to be completely confident in my hypothesis though. Will you help me?
Noticiero: You know it!
Professor Morgan Parser: I could never have gotten this far without your help, remember that!
He introduces you to a device of some sort.
Professor Morgan Parser: This is a very valuable tool of mine. It's worth more creds then you could ever imagine... built from extremely rare alien technology. I want you to use it on four unique aliens. It'll identify all the known particles surrounding their bodies and, hopefully, detect any unknown ones.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:31 am

The professor smiles when he recognizes you.
Noticiero: Now I really have a lot of things to tell you!
The professor gives you a wide smile.
Professor Morgan Parser: I do too, my friend... I'm confident the puzzle is almost solved now.
I'd like to hear about your recent series of events... but first...
May I have the scanner back, please?
He taps a few times on the display. A hologram emerges from the device and you can see simulated particles moving in a distinct pattern, each and every one of them finding it's equivalent partner.
Professor Morgan Parser:

Do you see this, Noticiero... Isn't it beautiful? You're witnessing a super symmetry that I didn't expect to find, indicating and even proving that we once originated from the very same.
He smiles, giving him the expression of a pleased cat.
Professor Morgan Parser: The Xan.
Noticiero: When I scanned those aliens... one of them unexpectedly mutated into something much worse...
Professor Morgan Parser: The Kyr'Ozch reacted to the scanning device? That is truly out of the ordinary.
Kyr'Ozch viral-bot technology is advanced and varies to a great extent from our own nano technology... I'd go so far as to state it bears more of a resemblance to the Shadowlands and the Xan technology, then to anything on Rubi-Ka...
Still, it's perfectly correspondent to ours, even if we don't understand all of it.
Noticiero: I managed to get inside of a ruin, and I was ambushed by alien guardians. They were... defending it.
Professor Morgan Parser: So the aliens did actually make an effort to stop you from examine that ruin... This is interesting. I have to report this to the ops team right away. I bet we'll find something out of the ordinary inside that very ruin.
Noticiero: So, what's your conclusion?
Professor Morgan Parser: As I stated before, our research here has spurred a theory that the aliens are descendants of the Xan! Before the cataclysm the Xan built great arks, as you know and might have seen with your own eyes those arks never left this world. They acted too late.
Noticiero: (Listen to the story)
Professor Morgan Parser: For a long time we've had no reason not to believe the real Xan died out during that era since their descendants descended into a lower level of existence. That is however, another story.

Never before has there been a reason to believe the Xan successfully left this world, carrying the seed of life to a new cradle.
Noticiero: (Listen to the story)
Professor Morgan Parser: My conclusion is that the Xan cultivated what we know as the Kyr'Ozch, lightyears away from here. The result of our research also suggests that the Kyr'Ozch knew that the Xan gave them life before their own ended... they may look at the Xan as gods.

We still need to figure out what this means, why they are back?

I'll make sure your name won't be forgotten, Noticiero. Thank you for everything you've done!
Noticiero: Is there nothing else I can do here?
The professor points to his right.
Professor Morgan Parser: You see that woman over there.
He sighs deeply.
Professor Morgan Parser: She's driving me crazy, walking back and forth. Why don't you go ask her what's the matter. I'd really appreciate getting her to sit still.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:33 am

Lindsay Wriste:
The woman turns towards you.
Lindsay Wriste: Excuse me, sir...
Noticiero: Yes?
Lindsay Wriste: I... I don't suppose you know Charlie? Medium height, dark hair... We arrived to Rubi-ka together and came straight here, but then we got separated. He was going to contact me when he had arrived to the south camp, but I haven't heard from him yet. Have you possibly seen him? I--
Noticiero: Slow down... Your friend's missing? Have you reported this to the Unicorn Commanders?
Lindsay Wriste: I... Um, no.
She lets out a sigh.
Lindsay Wriste: They are very... intimidating. I tried to... but that Ryker man really put me off.
I contacted our team in the south camp, but the lady I spoke to said she hadn't seen Charlie.
I'm not allowed outside this camp without Unicorn authorization.
She gives you a hopeful look.
Lindsay Wriste: I... I can pay you. I can hire you to find him. I have some money. I don't care how much it costs.
Noticiero: Perhaps someone else at the south camp knows something? I'll ask around...
Lindsay Wriste: Thank you! I really appreciate it. Oh, and his last name is Moss... Charlie Moss.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:03 am

Sheri Tater: Yes?
Noticiero: I'm looking for someone. His name is Charlie Moss.
Sheri Tater: Hm...there's something familiar about that name. Oh, yes, I remember now! He's one of the volunteers that came here by shuttle from the Morning Star, isn't that right? I haven't seen him myself, but perhaps Dr. Hernandez has. He's had more contact with the volunteers for this specific project.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:03 am

Dr. Hugo Hernandez: What can I do for you?
Noticiero: I'm looking for someone. His name is Charlie Moss.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: I don't know anyone that goes by that name.
Noticiero: He's a volunteer that arrived here recently, but now he's missing.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Ah that is right! Moss, I thought you said Hoss. No, I haven't heard from any of the volunteers.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:05 am

Lindsay Wriste: Hm?
Noticiero: I talked to the researchers in the camp, but I'm afraid they haven't seen any trace of your friend.
She lets out a sigh.
Lindsay Wriste: Last time I saw him was when we bought our insurance. He had some problems with his cash chip, so we decided to meet in Arid Rift when he got it figured out. He hasn't turned up by the terminals yet and I'm worried. Like I said, we're not from Rubi-Ka. This whole insurance system is new to us.
What if he's in prison? Or knocked unconscious, laying helpless out there in the canyon.
Could I ask you go to out to the central gateway and find someone who could find out where he is?
Noticiero: I'll do what I can.
Lindsay Wriste: Oh thank you! Thank you so much! I'll wait right here. Please return as soon as you can!

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 am

I chose to threaten him.

He eyes you with a slightly tilted head, his left eyebrow crooked.
Unicorn Coordinator: Yes?
Noticiero: Hello, my name is Noticiero. I need some information regarding the status of insurance for a Charlie Moss.
The Coordinator doesn't change his expression.
Unicorn Coordinator: It will take a while to get confirmation; I also need you to sign some papers... I suppose you're a relative?
Noticiero: No... not exactly relative, more of a friend... of a friend.
Unicorn Coordinator: You can't possibly be serious. This is confidential information. You must surely understand we simply cannot provide it to anyone. Omni-Tek databases are Omni-Tek matters. Come back with a signed request from the OT social registry office of Rubi-Ka if you're here in business.
Noticiero: Can you tell me... nothing?
Unicorn Coordinator: Our policy states that I have to inform people of the dangers awaiting them, so here you go.
The outzone is a dangerous place.
Noticiero: What, that's it? That was not very informative...
Unicorn Coordinator: What more do you need to be convinced to stay out, really? This is confidential information. You must surely understand we cannot simply provide it to anyone.
Noticiero: This is a life or death situation! Are you willing to risk a life? My friend is missing and as far as I know he could be unconscious or stuck somewhere without insurance!
He still doesn't change his expression.
Noticiero: Do you hear me! I suggest you do your little thing and give me the information or you will have to sign papers with your left hand for the rest of your life.
You see no visible response when threatening him.
Noticiero: Please! He hasn't got any relatives on Rubi-Ka... I beg you for the sake of humanity...
Humanity seems to be an unknown term for this bureaucrat.
Noticiero: Fine! The management will not be pleased when they hear about this.
Unicorn Coordinator: Pft!
Finally you get a response, although a very subtle one.
Noticiero: Think about how the management will need someone to blame for the death of a young volunteer.
Unicorn Coordinator: I'm... I'm just doing my job! I have clear instructions how to handle the confidential files...
Noticiero: I can see the head lines...
Unicorn Coordinator: Okay okay...
His upper lip is sweating but otherwise he has not changed his facial expression.
Unicorn Coordinator: Charlie... Moss, you said?
He taps the name on his optical keyboard.
Unicorn Coordinator: Hm... The only information I have on this one is his student VISA for Rubi-Ka. Unknown insurance? I wonder if it's just the file, or if the cellular structure scan itself is corrupt. He has not been registered in any official facilities. This is real bad.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:13 am

Lindsay Wriste: Noticiero!
Her face lights up with a hopeful smile.
Noticiero: I don't have good news, I'm afraid.
Lindsay Wriste: What do you mean...? Didn't you find the information? Wasn't there anyone you could talk to out in the gateway?
Noticiero: I talked to someone alright.
You tell her that the data in Charlie's insurance file was of unknown origin. Apparently his insurance seems to be corrupted, and his Jobe VISA isn't registered in any known hospitals or prisons.
Lindsay Wriste: I don't understand? What are you saying? He's out there without valid insurance? How can that be possible?
Her voice now trembles with anger and worry.
Lindsay Wriste: Charlie is such a softie... he has no real combat practice, he just took a two day survival class before we came here--
Noticiero: Listen... Would you like me to go out and look for him? Maybe he's in trouble and has lost his COM link?
Tears suddenly wells up in her eyes. It's clear that she cares deeply for Charlie.
Lindsay Wriste: You should look in the vicinity of the corrupted crystals. He was apparently very interested in those. Please, please bring him back to me...

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:38 am

Lindsay Wriste:
Lindsay Wriste doesn't seem to notice you.
Noticiero: I'm sorry. I couldn't bring him back.
Lindsay Wriste: What does that mean? Did you find him?
Noticiero: I found him. He's dead. I'm sorry.
You hear a rasping sound as she draws her breath sharply at the terrible news.
Lindsay Wriste:
Her eyes, big like plates, staring at you without blinking.
Lindsay Wriste: Where is he? Where is his body? Why couldn't you bring him back?
Show me!
Noticiero: I didn't have the means to. He'd suffered a quick death, caused by the aliens. I found his notebook.
The tears are streaming down her face now and she has problems taking in air as she swallows repeatedly.
Lindsay Wriste: A... notebook?
She slowly browses through the first few pages, smiling and sobbing in turns as she reads.
Lindsay Wriste: He was so excited about coming here. He used to say he'd make an important discovery about the aliens and that the world would remember his name.
She spends a few moments looking through the notebook, and just as you're about to turn around and leave, she furrows her brow and flips faster back and forth between some of the pages.
Lindsay Wriste: Wait a second... Wait. This... this looks like he was on to something.
A quick glance up at you tells you that she will probably ask for your help again.
Noticiero: What is it?
Lindsay Wriste: It seems like he may have found something that could be important.
He mentions something he calls a rejuvenation socket.
She reads a quote from the book
Lindsay Wriste: "...after plugging it into my internal nano deck, I learned how dangerous this thing can be, so I took apart the device and hid the pieces in different locations. I need to consult Dr. Hernandez asap." Look, he took notes of the two coordinates.
... ... I know I've asked a lot of you. Could I possibly ask you for one more favor?
Noticiero: Let me guess... You want me to check out the locations he mentions?
Lindsay Wriste: Yes! He describes some sort of device. If his suspicions are correct, this could be big. If you find this things he speaks of, could you go to the camp and show the researchers?
Noticiero: Ok. I'll do this for you.
Lindsay Wriste: Thank you so much! If Charlie was right and this really is something important...

I want to thank you for everything you've done. Charlie was... very special to me and even though he's dead and I have to go on alone, I find some sort of comfort in the fact that he died doing what he loved.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:33 am

Dr. Hugo Hernandez:
Dr. Hernandez wipes green sludge from his hands before he turns to you.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Hello there! I'm Dr. Hugo Hernandez.
Noticiero: (Take his hand and introduce yourself)
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Noticiero, nice to meet you! What're you doing here in Arid Rift?
Noticiero: I have some information that I believe will interest you.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Really... Let me see it, please?
You tell him about the circumstances of Charlie Moss's death.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: This thing seems to be broken...
The doctor puts the socket back to it's original state and connects it into a multi-slot in his external work station. As he studies the flow of data, his eyebrows raises more and more. He opens the notebook and turns the pages back and forth as to verify Charlie's statements.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Remarkable! This piece of alien technology simulates our own cell structure scanners, attempting to override our own system with false insurance... I can't even begin to imagine where it'll redirect the user. I wonder wh...
He suddenly looks perplexed.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Oh...
Thank heavens that you didn't try to use this!
Noticiero: Oh?
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Noticiero, I need you to keep this to yourself. What would happen if we couldn't rely on notum technology and reclaim insurance? Permanent death... or worse? As you can imagine, this information could lead to mass hysteria.
Noticiero: What should we do?
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: I'm working on a theory. The aliens might have a mental connection, a hive mind of some sort, with separate bodies but of a single mentality. Understanding them and their intentions is the first step towards winning this war. Would you help me investigate my theory?
Noticiero: Yes, I'll do what I can.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: I need you to catch ten Ensign - Iian and bring them back to me. They are easily recognizable, unique to Arid Rift. Noone in the collegiums has ever heard of them before. Use this stim to create a temporary cage that extracts the data necessary.

Windguaerd
AOU Community Legend

Post by Windguaerd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:26 am

Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Oh, how did it go?
Noticiero: I managed to extract data from ten of the aliens.
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: First-rate work, Noticiero! Concluded from the recent reports from Arid Rift, I'd go very far in claiming that the aliens we see here on Rubi-Ka are mere bio-synthetic droids! Clones created by a superior race, controlled remotely, to fight the war of the worlds... These specimens will provide the proof I need.

I've already informed the Unicorn Commanders and I suggested that our research should be taken into great account regarding the conflict and how to deal with the invaders.

In the meantime, could you talk to my assistant? He claims that he is abducted by the aliens on a regular basis. Sounds like nonsense to me, but perhaps you'll cast some light on the situation.
Noticiero: Alright...
Dr. Hugo Hernandez: Good luck, Noticiero. Stockton is usually sulking further in this camp. I'm sure you will find him.