797 - How to play AO on the Steam Deck

Please use the Comment Feature on a guides page!
MarcDK

797 - How to play AO on the Steam Deck

Post by MarcDK » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:09 pm

Discuss the Article 'How to play AO on the Steam Deck' on this thread -- To view this article, please click here.

MarcDK

Post by MarcDK » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:09 pm

Hi,

thank you for this tutorial. Will the installation of winetricks impact other Wine/Proton related games or is this separate from Proton? And can't we translate this somehow to the proton command line like proton_no_esync=1 proton_use_wined3d=1?

And after the next update of Steam OS these changes will most likely overwritten anyway...

MarcDK

Re: 797 - How to play AO on the Steam Deck

Post by MarcDK » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:25 pm

It is far easier than described in this article:

1. Install Protontricks from the offical Discovery Appstore on the Deck in Desktop mode
2. Then I added this Anarchy Online - Properties - Lanch Options:

protontricks d3dcompiler_47 corefonts fontfix ie6 WINEARCH=win32

This worked! No need for any extra steps

Azzz

Re: 797 - How to play AO on the Steam Deck

Post by Azzz » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:55 am

I'm trying to do this the simple way and without opening up any admin or security/config changes that might affect other games, so tried @MarcDK's simplification.

Sadly, it doesn't work for me: clicking "Play Game" results in a pause as it tries to start up, but no new window opens, and after about 2-4 seconds, then "Play Game" goes back to green and is clickable again.

Any other details on your system MarcDK? Or any other, easier, ways to get this reliably up and running?

Or, any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot the failure to launch?

My Deck is fully patched as of time of writing, with protontricks installed fresh just this week.

Separately, I have found playing games that need KBM using Steam Link to be particularly easy if you don't have a spare KBM to plug into the Deck, so that problem is a solved one. It's just getting it running in the first place that's the issue.