DM: Nomad Camp

Got an idea for a site feature, a suggestion for an article, or spotted an error we made, feel free to post it here.
Guests can post here!
enlo

DM: Nomad Camp

Post by enlo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Nomad Camp: Wasteprowlers

The inhabitants of the slum town in Wailing Wastes live in whatever rubbish they can find.
Most of their building material is recycled hazardous waste, leading to more and more infant mutants.

There are resources nearby, but the poor people are losing more than gaining from trying to collect them. Hunt down various creatures in the area to help them survive.

Kill 5 Wasteprowlers
Kill 5 Scorpiods
Kill 5 Bloodcreepers
Kill 5 Pixies
Kill 5 Hammerheads
Side: Clan
Initial Mission name: Nomad Camp: Wasteprowlers
Level range: 30 - ?

I got the mission the first time with lvl 31, so I assume its 30+.
You need to search the bigger area to find the mobs and it takes some time.
Those clan mobs inside the crater kill the aggressive creeps, so you most likely won't find what you want there. Look around down south and outside the crater wall for the mobs.
The first 4 targets are easy, but the Hammerheads can be though.

Wasteprowlers and also Scorpiods can be found south of the crater:

Bloodcreepers can be found on the east crater wall and in the center.

Pixies are on the west crater wall. Easy mobs but they tend to flee.

Hammerheads are on the north-west wall.
They are probably too tough for lvl 30 (My gimp which autokilled the 44ish pixies couldnt take out any Hammerhead)

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Re: DM: Nomad Camp

Post by Silvana » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:26 am

I hate those DM types with a passion. So not worth the time and the last two mob sets tend to be really, really hard, if not impossible at the level ;)

Thanks for the info though, we'll get someone to put it in to a guide ASAP!

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:04 am

This is also one of those DMs where the update is all that matters.
It's entirely possible to step into Wailing Wastes with a 220 in team and have him go kill the mobs in question, then drop team and hand it in for the reward...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:11 am

Not everyone walks around with a pocket 220 ;)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 am

Worth noting..

enlo

Post by enlo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:53 am

yeah that's actually what I did with the Hammerheads (letting a 200ish kill the hammerheads).
They are only around lvl 30-50 so lvl 220 is not required :P

yeah, those DM types take quite a long time when you have to search for your targets. I only did it because it was a novelty to me. On the bright side, you get around half a level for killing the mobs and then you get an other one for solving the mission.

btw the mission is resolved as soon as you kill the last mob.

the pitfalls of this mission:
a) search the region instead of camping the mission location
b) takes some time
c) killing sequence is important (you can't start with Pixies)

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:34 pm

There are only a few "non-elite" missions of this type, so they can largely be avoided if one dislikes the "you must kill # of a particular mob in a specific order" type daily mission.

That being said there is lots and lots of advice one could give in regard to this specific mission. The only real difficulty for players who receive this mission who are at the low end the level range is the hammerheads. The other mobs are generally not that difficult for a properly equipped (not necessarily twinked) character.

At the same time, it may be worth noting that dragging different alts solo through this mission has vastly helped me understand the toolsets and strategies involved in killing "hard" enemies for different professions. I've suffered this mission on an MP, an Engy, an Advy, an Agent, a Keeper, a Shade, and a Fixer. (There may have been others.)

I've learned proper pulling technique for pet and non-pet classes to insure I get only one hammerhead at a time. I've learned when fighting a hard enemy to first look around the area and become familiar with the region (no benefit to pull a single enemy into a mob of other red/orange enemies who will also aggro). I learned which perks matter and which were a waste of time (a "proper" perk setup equals win, a bad one equals reclaim -- and Bio Coon FTW!). I've learned to kite on ranged and melee toons or root-n-shoot techniques (while making sure not to run out of nano). And probably many other techniques that became vital to my success elsewhere (definitely came in handy on my Keeper/Shade for some of the garden/sanctuary quests to have learned these lessons earlier). The importance of outside buffs (one little HoT or Essence HP buff often times makes the difference).

To be honest, I really disliked this mission as well, but I also appreciated everything I learned from this mission. (Sort of like my third-grade teacher, I guess).

Also worth noting for this mission:
  • Mobs that you're supposed to kill occur in little clumps and will eventually find their way down into the middle of the crater (for clan side at least).
    Therefore, fighting mobs in the crater is not necessarily the best idea, if any of the other mobs are green or higher to you, as you may pick up unwanted aggro.
    Pixies can be a pain, as "Frail Pixies" fear you and will run away when you approach, and you have to chase them down.
    The mobs you're supposed to kill occur elsewhere in RK and you get credit for your mission for killing them elsewhere as well.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:56 pm

It's not the difficulty of these missions that bother me, it's the time involved, I'm a social player and like to play with others. The introduction of daily missions has all but killed teaming in certain level ranges and I just don't enjoy running around for hours on my own, I certainly don't need to pay for a MMO to do that...

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:59 am

Snakebite wrote:It's not the difficulty of these missions that bother me, it's the time involved, I'm a social player and like to play with others. The introduction of daily missions has all but killed teaming in certain level ranges and I just don't enjoy running around for hours on my own, I certainly don't need to pay for a MMO to do that...
I agree with your sentiment. Alternatively, many daily missions are easier and can be completed "with help", be it a 220 or even just a couple of friends at/near/just above your level. The fact that some of the lengthier Daily Missions (Bar Crawl, Extraction) are set up that you are force to do it all by yourself enforces the lonely time.

Perhaps its worth suggesting that all Daily Missions should be some how team completable (even though team mates don't get the final XP/VP/AXP reward). At least we can do our Daily Missions together en-mass.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Llie wrote:
Snakebite wrote:It's not the difficulty of these missions that bother me, it's the time involved, I'm a social player and like to play with others. The introduction of daily missions has all but killed teaming in certain level ranges and I just don't enjoy running around for hours on my own, I certainly don't need to pay for a MMO to do that...
I agree with your sentiment. Alternatively, many daily missions are easier and can be completed "with help", be it a 220 or even just a couple of friends at/near/just above your level. The fact that some of the lengthier Daily Missions (Bar Crawl, Extraction) are set up that you are force to do it all by yourself enforces the lonely time.

Perhaps its worth suggesting that all Daily Missions should be some how team completable (even though team mates don't get the final XP/VP/AXP reward). At least we can do our Daily Missions together en-mass.
Or hell, how about a TEAM DAILY MISSION option??? :mrgreen: :top:

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Snakebite wrote: Or hell, how about a TEAM DAILY MISSION option??? :mrgreen: :top:
That's what I consider the elite dailies to be, the team option ;)

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Snakebite wrote:Or hell, how about a TEAM DAILY MISSION option??? :mrgreen: :top:
Win! Image