Knowledge main page chaos issues -> to maintainers

Got an idea for a site feature, a suggestion for an article, or spotted an error we made, feel free to post it here.
Guests can post here!

Knowledge main page chaos issues -> to maintainers

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Hello everyone!

This is my first post at all, but I have been using AO-Universe knowledge pages for many years - and I really haven't used chance to say THANK YOU! to creators of this page and all that huge amount of information that was amassed about AO in one place and that has entangled in my understanding as bound FAQ and game playing guide of AO.

After changing to new format, some of the information has been wiped out completelly and now all that is left is chaos. The information about all quests and other things in general knowledge page was very huge for web page standarts of readibility, but there were some small workaraunds, like Search function in browser. For example, when I was searching for Pad Quest, to which I don't remember name - that's where I used search, without scrolling down and reading all titles. Now this option is gone and I will have to rely on my puny human brain memorizing functions.

Another very valuable information was that each of quests or items in table format contained additional information about items usable level range and side and on level range of encounters and Daily Missions. That was the great way to overlook every information for my playing style(froobs don't need to know about anything over lvl 201) or profession. Also it is currently very hard to find information information about SL DOJA chip ranges - before I needed to make max 2 clicks, to get to that page(Knowledge_>SL), now it is more, because the only way I know is to look in Dark missions and then there is link, that leads to it... Ok, DOJA chip page was not posted in pro[er way and there were some flaws even in SL page, but main design of all links about quests was that they were posted, according to progression in game. The problem is that not many people in AO know about various DOJA chips and their usable range and that they can be repeated after 18 hours, like Daily Missions.

I assume, that this change is in progress, making the whole page under construction zone(there are many places that has no images, because of change or there are images of nonrelated leets to quests and items - by logic could be other icon, like garden key or related item) - this really will p!ss off many of current users, who were using this page before, because it will be even harder to give links to new players(noobs) in real time AO game, because when I'm playing AO, I always had AO-Universe knowledge page open, or had bookmarked under name knowledge in Firefox for easy access and could access all information in no time - now it will take some more time.

This change caught me unexpected and with bewildered guess why and what reasons... especially, that my bookmarked knowledge page didn't work anymore. Because all it looks to me, that this whole change is made with mistakes of beginners of web developers of the dawn of web design era. Really throws my memories back in time... Were there some change in maintainers? I mean - project is quite old and people change prorities in life and 7 years for web project is like 300 in human life years, because average life of such social web projects are 2-3 years.

Hope that there will be moe changes and at the end it will be for better, because this new design *really* gives great space to start with...

Cheers,
Yani

Yani

Re: Knowledge main page chaos issues -> to maintainers

Post by Yani » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Guest wrote: Hope that there will be moe changes and at the end it will be for better, because this new design *really* gives great space to start with...
I needed to ad "in usability" after design, and clean up some other errors, but sh...things always happen in a hurry

Yani

Post by Yani » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:30 pm

PS. I take some words back - I really like table design, but from SL guides DOJA Chips guide is still missing. I assume it is still accessible from Dark Ruins team guide:

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id ... pid=484#4a

The DOJA Chips page is there:
http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id ... 2F&pid=524

Yani

Post by Yani » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:06 pm

I just noticed, that AO-Universe is referring links to items in xyphos(mostly), instead of auno. Well, auno is old source and is not maintained so much, and xyphos have some very nice additions, but lacks complete feedback on items from players - where to get them and other valuable information about hidden properties, or even how to create them(oh, well AOU explained already), that was collected in all of these years in auno. Kimi(arpa3.net) have different approach, when offering links from Clicksaver or WTS channels - there are both sources.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:40 am

First up.. the missing guides are back ;)

If you're wanting to see information on lists about level ranges, factions, etc. make sure you're using the text list of guides, and not the graphic list. That should now be the default.

There's some news to come about links, to just watch for that :)

By all means, keep the constructive criticisms coming. We wouldn't have realized the LoX guides had even gone missing if it weren't for several users, so it isn't in vain to post!

Yani

Post by Yani » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Silvana wrote:First up.. the missing guides are back ;)

If you're wanting to see information on lists about level ranges, factions, etc. make sure you're using the text list of guides, and not the graphic list. That should now be the default.

There's some news to come about links, to just watch for that :)

By all means, keep the constructive criticisms coming. We wouldn't have realized the LoX guides had even gone missing if it weren't for several users, so it isn't in vain to post!
The truth is, I was writing the first post while it was hot issue for me, and peppery epitets were unevitable and some of the things that would require some calmed down approach with curious test and trial attitude and was apparent to designers, entirelly slipped away from my attention. Well, I assume red color notice about new changes with text and complete disappearance of part of information and no clue, how about contact information in AOU About Us page also played the role of panick creation . Well, anyway - I can now navigate through new guides(in list mode), as good as in old version... I am registered in this site and will keep post more feedbacks. ;)

Thanks for your calmed down approach.

Cheers :)