Revamping/expanding quest listings

Got an idea for a site feature, a suggestion for an article, or spotted an error we made, feel free to post it here.
Guests can post here!
OlowNon

Revamping/expanding quest listings

Post by OlowNon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:02 pm

I'd really like to see all quest listings organized (or at least notated) by some basic details that don't require you to click and read the whole quest summary (multiplied by scores and scores of quests). For example:

Approx starting level (and cap level, if any) -- this is key for new players!
Location (and is it Clan-only like Tir?)
Affiliation requirement?
Primary reward(s) including QL (link item(s) to http://aodb.info)

And lets not re-invent the wheel here. If someone else has a nice quest summary, let's link to it (with an author-credit, of course). There are scores (if not 100's) of quests, the so far the organization on all the AO sites is pretty rudimentary. I'd be interested in helping with this project if I can be of service...

NOTE: The Classic AO Vault listing is closer to what I'm looking for, as they have several categories and a sort feature, but they don't give much guidance for starting level/cap in the index/listing (clearly many of those listed are not lowbie quests), and often no location or specific reward info.

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:32 pm

Actually, the new site will have the guides sorted in categories like "Gameplay Guides, Profession Guides, Quests, Encounter, Location and Maps, Tradeskill" and come with information in the list as title of the guide, with a short description and a recommened level range for the guide.
Short description and title usually includes if a guide is for a specific affiliation only.

Location could be kinda hairy, as some quests take you over all of the planet.
Putting rewards on the listing page already would kinda blow up the size of a simple index list i think.

But i might be wrong... ;)

OlowNon

Post by OlowNon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:54 pm

If a quest has more than 1 location requirement, you could simply list them in the basic order in which they're required (i.e., Newland/Newland Desert).

If a quest has too many locations to list, list the first location and +x, with "x" being the number of additional locations.

Listing the main reward (with a link to the full item summary) in the index is pretty important. Better to have a longer index than one that omits key info.

If a list that's sortable by the different fields isn't doable (a-la AO Vault), then I hope it'll be sorted by level range. Most AO sites list quests by title/description, which is totally useless -- it forces you to read the entire list.

Morrgann

Post by Morrgann » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:44 pm

Another important thing I would like to see is the "common name" for a particular quest. Example: Field Commander Fielding quest (aka Clan Token Gun quest)