Looking for a data file

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Izamal

Looking for a data file

Post by Izamal » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:45 am

I'd like to know what the file is that contains the containers information. Information like container name, contents, etc. I know there must one be since I've read of mods that will list the container contents. At least I think I've seen them.

The reason I want this file is that if I start playing on a different PC then I'll lose all of the container related configurations that I labored to input. I'd like to just copy that file over to the new PC if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Re: Looking for a data file

Post by Silvana » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:42 am

I don't think it is as easy as that.

There is a thread about doing this before the merge, to save your names after the merge happened, but the instructions don't really seem to be about saving them post-merge to share with another computer. You can give it a look though Server Merge - How to save your backpack names.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it will help outside of the circumstances surrounding the merge, and it's pretty complicated depending on your computer knowledge, but give it a look and something there might help :)

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 am

If you're just planning on playing AO on two different computers. My suggestion is:

Install AO on both computers.

Set up AO exactly as you want it on one computer.

Go to the following directory on that first computer: C:\Users\YourUser\Local Settings\Application Data\Funcom\Anarchy Online\funny_directory_of_letters_and_numbers\

Copy the contained "Anarchy Online" directory to a USB thumb drive or onto DropBox or something.

Start up AO on the second computer, and then quit it right away. Don't set anything up.

Go to the following directory on this second computer: C:\Users\YourUser\Local Settings\Application Data\Funcom\Anarchy Online\funny_directory_of_letters_and_numbers\

The directory with the funny letters and numbers on this second computer may or may not be the same as on the first depending on where you installed AO, but go into this second directory and delete the "Anarchy Online" directory and copy the "Anarchy Online" directory that you put onto your USB thumb drive or DropBox.

Izamal

Post by Izamal » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 am

Well, I already had AO loaded on the other PC so I guess I worded my OP wrong. Is this to say your procedure won't work if the other PC has had AO played on it?

I see a folder in that path; /prefs/[account_name]/char#######

The char######## folder has container html files and a bank html file.

What I might try is to first make a backup of that directory just for safety and then pick a lowby charater that I was going to delete anyway. Copy that character's /char######## file from the main PC over to the other one and see if it works. I have AO installed on both PCs in C:/Funcom/Anarchy Online.

It won't be tonight since I'm about to fall asleep but I'll let you know if it works.

All of this wouldn't be necessary if they just stored that data on the server but that's water under the bridge.

Thanks for the help.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:12 pm

If you've patched to 18.6.1 and changed backpack names after, it's easier. I had thought you meant you had just come back and hadn't updated the client yet ;)

That's where some of the issues come up because character ID's completely changed with the merge.

Good luck!

Izamal

Post by Izamal » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 am

Everything is working fine so far. First I tried just copying the "bank" file in the /prefs/[char_name]/Char########/Containers folder over to the other PC. The contents of the bank were rearanged to what I had in the main PC but the container names did not transfer. So then I copied the entire "/Containers" folder over and all was good, container names transferred.

I set up file sharing between the two PCs so no need to store on a flash drive for the transfer.

I'm a happy camper now. Thanks for the help, this will save a lot of headache.

Edit: Hmm, so why are there more spaces being added between the words in the first line of my post?

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:28 am

The text is set for justified, so it will do that sometimes.