Fresh start, some questions

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

hezzar

Fresh start, some questions

Post by hezzar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Sup.

Ive been playing this game couple yeas ago, on free mode, and now i would like to come back.
When i was freely playing on free version of the game, looking for stat boosting items in missions etc. i came across some guys, that had like 2x better stuff for me, i asked them where, how ? they said its on premium expansion.
So my qyestion is, im starting my account again, it have this guy for robors creating, using guns and so on, smaller lvl, like 2-3 weeks play.
Now, is it better to start fresh with some premium expansion ( and which one ) pr continue on my couple years old account and skip tutorial + tens of missions for low lvl ?
I would appreciate a quick answer. I know i can probably read it SOMEWHERE, after reading 20 other articles that dont answer my question, what expansions are good for new account. And i dont have time for it right now, i just want to start playing, time to read wil come later on :]

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Re: Fresh start, some questions

Post by Silvana » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:32 pm

After being gone for such a period of time, and Engineer being one of the more difficult professions to play, you'd be better off starting fresh either way. It would likely take more time to figure out what all of your skills, nanos, and attacks do again and how to use them properly and effectively, than to learn them by starting over. It would give you a better sense of what you can do (and consequently, can't do) instead of relying on memories you may or may not have from before. AO definitely has one of the more complex skill systems, and with a trade skill profession like an Engineer, that can be doubly as complex.

As I understand it now, there isn't an option to upgrade per expansion, but only as a package with all of them. There was an option before to do only Shadowlands, but I believe that has been discontinued and it is no longer split. You would get Shadowlands, Alien Invasion, Lost Eden, and Legacy of the Xan all together. Which if you're planning to go the subscription route anyway, is the best since you will have SL and AI Perks, and research from LE that all make a major difference in what you can do.

You may be required to reactivate the account by email, as they have suspended inactive accounts, likely due to help with the server merge that's soon to be coming. Once that happens you'll see special deals at the in-game store that are available and can include the expansions, game time, and other extra goodies. Those are generally for the more long term, but the option to just get the expansions, then pay monthly is still there as well.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask anything else you may be wondering about :)

hezzar

Post by hezzar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:18 pm

yes it does :] but ill still start out engineer :] they are cool, from what ive tried out on free trial, enforcer, advy and some other :]
So, if i get all the expansions in one, at the beginning where i go to get the good stuff and how ? i remember playing 2-3 weeks, looking for rare stuff guns armor for beginner in missions, market, i had all the best for my lvl with stat boosting items to equip, still those guys i've meet, had literally 2x better from some npc in expansion. How, where ? :D i just want to save myself those couple of days of tornment that i went trough before :]

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:53 pm

All toons start on the ICC Shuttleport (noob island) aside from Keeper and Shade which are required to start in the Shadowlands. Most people prefer ICC Shuttleport because of some good starting items you can get. One especially is good for engineers if you're Omni, because it boosts trade skills. It's also expensive and requires some item farming since you can't return to the area once you leave, unlike the old backyards of RK or the SL starting area. It also has aliens so you can get an early start on your first two levels of AI xp (though you can't spend the points till you hit 15). The Shuttleport also gives you an option to buy a starter pack for nanos that gives you a slew of the basic ones for your profession to start you off with. This is all going to be changing soon though with a new starting experience coming in to play as well with a better tutorial for new players that's more profession specific.

From there some people still go to the SL starting area and get items from it, or just go to SL mobs directly in Nascence because they have a higher xp value that RK mobs do, but they also tend to be slightly tougher and resistant to some nanos that you can use on RK mobs. Once you're out of whichever starting area your profession places you in, there's really a large choice of where you can go and what you can do that's entirely dependent on how you want to play the game. You can jump straight in to the first static instance if you want, the abandoned subway. You can go to SL like I had mentioned. You can even jump right in to PVP on the battlestations, if you can get a good time when there's enough people on both sides queued up.

We have quite a few guides on the various starting areas, the quests involved, and then the first instance and all that. You can look them up by the expansion pack they are part of if you know that, or use the search with a keyword or two and guides almost always show the level range so you can get a feel for a progression path you'd like to take, what equipment you can get at what points, etc.

hezzar

Post by hezzar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks alot :] that answers my questions :]

hezzar

Post by hezzar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:28 pm

ok, i created new account, with subscription, and still under character creation i cant pick shadowland, got acces only to Rubi-Ka

hezzar

Post by hezzar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:33 pm

and im like 5 min before i cancell my subscription on paypal and leave this money leech game, coz for 5 hours im not allowed to play premium content that i paid for. Im getting pissed of here

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 pm

You bought the $19.99 upgrade or one of the package deals? It isn't just the subscription, you do still have to pay for the expansions.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:24 am

Any other billing issues would have to be taken up with them directly though, we wouldn't be able to help with that :)

Hope you get it straightened out!