Updated money making tips.

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

tihi

Updated money making tips.

Post by tihi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:39 pm

I'll list some noob and froob friendly tips on making cash.
Updates will be edited in.
I'll build on the op little by litte until I'm satisfied.

Most old cash making guides are outdated so I'll share some hard gotten knowledge.

I started playing a fixer toon and became addicted to grid armor. A costly addiction one might say. Therefore I had to learn quickly how to make cash.

General tips:

-Watch shopping channel. Use it and make silly mistakes. You'll learn from them.

-Check up all loot on auno and GMI until you get a gut feeling for trading. If an item has comments on auno it's probably worth something - go check GMI for a price reference.

-Always undercut GMI prices or you won't sell.

-Take heed when you get comments on the stuff you try selling. If someone tells you is shopfood then it probably is. Put in lootbag an vendor it.

-Pick up everything and vendor it all in Newlands miir shop (goes for clan, i never did omni). This shop pays better.

-Carry many packs so you won't have to leave stuff behind.

-Store packs in bank in an orderly fashion so that you can be competitive and quickly find merchandise that is being asked for in the shopping channel. When someone posts the following message:
Shopping channel 11-50 [user]: wtb ql 52 sekutek chilled legs, WILL TIP! pst
you don't wanna answer feebly that you think you have it but need to rifle through your 30 unsorted small backpacks. You want to open bank in list mode and immediately extract the bag named "ql 40-60 buff armor" to have a quick peek and then answer the customer if you have what he needs.

-This list:
http://www.aofroobs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8266
Is good, but you won't get any cash from it. Instead use it to farm stuff for yourself. Get one or one set of each of the items on the list as you level up and you will make some cash and tokens alongside. Older players have buffpacks already and won't need to buy from you. Newer players won't have any cash to buy from you. If you farm your own buffpacks on your first toon you will be happy everytime you roll a new toon.

-Don't beg. Your actions will always be remembered and they follow you around as an ugly shadow.

-Be nice and friendly in your pricing. If your customer is an older player who thinks he's been given a good price, he'll probably pay you more than you ask for because he thinks you're a good sport. If your customer is a new player, you'll have made his day and you can feel happy about it. It'll come around to you, be so sure.

-Always keep a lockpick in your inventory and ip a decent amount of b&e skill. You don't want to leave any chests unopened when you leave the mission building, right?

-Always keep a mission key duplicator in your inventory. If you stumble on that ultra rare NODROP you want to be able to sell the lootrights.

Lastly and most important IMO is: Don't be greedy. Rather be helpful for free than make a dime out of someones desperation. Give stuff away to those who need. Save and stock things in bank and when someone needs it, be the knight in shining armor. Be the one who has it all and always is generous with it. Let ppl borrow stuff if they say they only need it to equip something and if they like to they can mail the thing to you when done. Be friendly and helpful and always be the one first in line to offer buffs or assistance. Reputation is everything in ao.

Specific tips:

-Concentrate on your progress until lvl 100 or so. You'll hardly turn anything sellable up before that.

-Some miy's armor and other buffing armor are good selling. Try to imagine why and your'e halfway to being a sucessful salesman. For example, Miy's nano armor sleeves around ql 120 go for 10m Miy's in low level are easily farmed from mantises or cyborgs in perpetual wasteland. Hitch a ride to PW 10m with your local fixer. /terminate when your packs are full. No use wasting time humping back to Newland. You can rezz while you check gmi. Higher ql Miy's nano can be looted of medusas, which you can find in some playfields and also in missions if u have the right slider settings.

-You will find it hard to buy implants beyond ql 150 in shops but on the other hand you will come across many imps when looting. Keep all that are around ql 150 or above and sell them as sets. It doesn't matter much if they are empty or full of clusters, but preferably have them cleaned. A totw twink won't blink twice before paying you 10m for the three imps he needs right yesterday at the exact ql. Pick any old mission when waiting for a daily and keep the imps you loot.

Pay attention to ql ranges. 6-slot belts start at ql 160 and therefore have the lowest requisite at that ql. If anything has the same buff over a range, then the lowest ql of that range is the most valuable as it is the easiest to equip but have the same features.

Ring of power and other tl-bound gear that buffs. Same here. Ql ranges. If the ring can be equipped by a tl2 player he might as well equip the one with the highest for that tl requisite, since the tl is the only requisite. Or the other way around: some gear has level requisite, but gives same buff over a whole tl-range. Why would someone buy a ring of prescense +3 with a level req of 135 when he can buy a ring of prescence +3 with level req of 101?

Mist filled jar. If you find one of these above ql 90 you may sell it for a hillarious sum of cash.

Keep all clanalizers and enhanced sid's leather armor that you find. The tradeskill process to make the armor into apocalypse leather armor is laughably simple. Get a whole set of a certain ql and its either sellable or usable. You can also collect the regular version - enhanced leater armor and have it ts:ed into apocalypse leather. The process demands a certain tool but is also pretty simple.

Controller recompiler units, cru:s. These are buyable at shops up to ql 4. At level 100 they start popping up in mish boss loot and mission containers quite regularly. They are somewhat valuable to players with expansion since they are used to start alien invasions or something like that. What ever... they sell if you're lucky. Oterwhise they vend pretty decently.

tbc

Mods, feel free to edit my bad english, any general errors and to make links. I don't know how to make the one word link do-dahs. If a reader finds the op too full of terms and leet-speek plz post a req for explanation and I'll edit in an elaboration.
Last edited by tihi on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Re: Updated money making tips.

Post by Snakebite » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 pm

tihi wrote:This list:
http://www.aofroobs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8266
Is good, but you won't get any cash from it. Instead use it to farm stuff for yourself. Get one or one set of each of the items on the list as you level up and you will make some cash and tokens alongside. Older players have buffpacks already and won't need to buy from you. Newer players won't have any cash to buy from you. If you farm your own buffpacks on your first toon you will be happy everytime you roll a new.
At the end of the sentence, a 'new' what?
tihi wrote:MIST FILLED JAR. If you find one of these above ql 90 you will be able to sell for at least 40m.
On Dim2, Mist Filled Jars are going for a LOT more than 40million...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

tihi

Post by tihi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Edited. Thanx

Actually, I sold one a month ago. It was kind of hard to get rid of. Quite a supply on GMI.
Also, I'm speaking as a froob mainly to froobs. A froob will very seldom sell phatz at GMI prices for a lot of reasons.

Morgo
AOU Content Editor

Post by Morgo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:59 am

I have a comment regarding the CONTROLLER RECOMPILER UNIT. They do still sell but it's not as good in its price as it was in the old days, as 100% ones drop from Sec42, Sec10, AI daily missions and there is a mission you can take every 24h. The other factor is that the low ones also dropped rapidly in price when Funcom removed the requirement that you had to put your controller back up to between 15% and - 50%.
Veteran Dark "Morgo" Padawan :: Devil Inside :: EnforcerImage