martial artist attacks

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Trisoldoc

martial artist attacks

Post by Trisoldoc » Tue May 01, 2012 2:25 am

Is there a list of the martial artist attacks somewhere. It would be nice to get my hands on a compiled list like that. Let me know please.
Trisoldoc

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Re: martial artist attacks

Post by Silvana » Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 am

You can find a partial list here. I get a feeling a few of the newer ones are missing, so I'll look in to that in a bit. The list in that thread should get you going though. If there are newer ones, they're likely for more end game toons.

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 am

Those are all the typical ones. A full search can be done as follows:

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?cmd=search&req434=10&req274=.

The search indeed turns up some end-game ones. At least one is a quest reward.

Trisoldoc

Post by Trisoldoc » Tue May 01, 2012 5:05 pm

cool thanks
Trisoldoc

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Wed May 02, 2012 4:21 am

My main is an MA and I'd say I don't bother with the majority of the attacks. Especially the ones you have to track down pieces for. Tree of Enlightenment is the only one I really must have that's a bit of a chore to get.

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Wed May 02, 2012 6:10 am

Yeah, the books are a pain, but Ape Fist and the IS equivalent are nice because of their short lock out and chance of stun.

I rolled a MA recently, and my thing has been trying to the highest possible QL of each froobable MA attack because 1) they look cool, and 2) they have really nice side effects (self heal, debuff enemy, AoE attack, root remover, etc...). Not easy as riposte and parry conflict, and dimach conflicts with some nano skills.

I think it's certainly possible to be a very successful MA without ever using a single MA attack, but I figure if there's something special about a given profession, might as well get it. :)

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Wed May 02, 2012 6:44 am

Some of them are definitely useful, though a real pain to get hold of past what you can buy in the shops. Pretty sure my MA is still using a fairly low level bird of prey, because they just don't drop that often. Flower of life is useful as a last ditch effort, but the parry req can be annoying if you have no other reason to raise it. Though, if you stick with unarmed as an MA, you have a lot of extra IP at TL5 and beyond. Or at least I do.

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 am

Yeah, when I hit level 154, spent 2 days on clicksaver and rolled a QL 200 of each attack. Dimach requirements on QL 200 Shen may be prohibitive, but I'm going to try for it. I think I'm going to need to choose between QL 200 Angel of Night or Blessed with Thunder, as I can't imp both parry and riposte to the skills needed, but Angel of Night is really only useful to MA for finding Cenobite Shadows in CoH, I think.

But, I'm closing in on TL6, and I have plenty of IP to spare. The problem is all the requirements for skills otherwise not needed and not useful.

Originally I was really discouraged by the low roll-rate according to Kimi's rollability database. It turns out that MA attacks aren't significantly worse than any other rare item to roll, such as NCU.

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Sat May 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Llie wrote:Those are all the typical ones. A full search can be done as follows:

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?cmd=search&req434=10&req274=.

The search indeed turns up some end-game ones. At least one is a quest reward.
I just discovered that my search doesn't turn up "Upon a Wave of Summer" because it doesn't require any Martial Arts skills (only requires Riposte) nor does it require you to be in combat. Interesting...