This is no way to play

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Tazerman

Re: This is no way to play

Post by Tazerman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:40 am

Why the hell is this guide listed under Shadowlands?
SL RK same thing...
Tazerman 200/00

OlderGuy

Post by OlderGuy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi There... Did you ever find the " Robotic Self-Preservation System " you wanted?.. as i need the same thing myself.... Any tips on where it Drops? Thanks OG

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Tazerman wrote:
Why the hell is this guide listed under Shadowlands?
SL RK same thing...
The guide is not listed under SL. It's the URL makes it look like it came from the SL section. If you click on the "Classic AO" link on the left then choose "Quests" you will see that the guide is in its correct section. If it's truly troubling to anyone, here's a link without any categories: http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=14&pid=27
OlderGuy wrote:Hi There... Did you ever find the " Robotic Self-Preservation System " you wanted?.. as i need the same thing myself.... Any tips on where it Drops? Thanks OG
If you re-read this thread you will see all the advice about where this item drops. One additional piece of advice for anyone trying to get anything that drops from some mob: It's all about statistics. For whatever item you're looking for the mob that drops it has a specific percentage chance to drop that item, let's say 1%. That doesn't mean that for every 99 mobs you kill the next one will be guaranteed to drop the item you want. It means that every time you kill a mob you have a 1% chance that the mob has the item. So you might kill 75 mobs and get it, or you might have to kill 175 mobs to get it, but if you take the average of everyone who's ever tried to get it, it works out to be about 100 kills to get it.

So if your concern is getting the item as quickly as possible, you have to kill as many of these mobs as quickly as possible. So it helps if you know:

1) Which mobs or types of mobs drop these items and which drops them most often (for the robotic self preservatino unit: Mechdogs, Bucketheads, Slayerdroids, and less often Waste Collectors )
2) Where there are lots of those mobs and where they are clustered together (Rome Junkyard, Wartorn Valley, Lush Hills, Newland Desert, Galway County, etc...)

Armed with those two pieces of information need to decide: How can I kill as many of these things as quickly as possible? So, if you are low level, the highest drop rate, I've found is off of Mechdogs, but Mechdogs are generally harder to kill for low level players than Bucketheads or Waste Collectors -- and you certainly don't want to be going after Slayerdroids. So you might choose to go somewhere where you can kill lots of Bucketheads (Wartorn Valley) rather than somewhere where you have to kill equivalent level Mechdogs (Rome Junkyard). Alternatively, if you have access to a higher level alt (since the item is not NODROP at low QLs) you can use an alt or a friend who can kill lots of these things very quickly (say, a high level NT friend), then you should choose a location with a much denser population of these mobs instead (Rome Junkyard instead) so you can kill as many of them as quickly as possible.

Remember, it's all about statistics. You need to find a way to kill as many as possible as quickly as possible. That's the biggest factor. You can't control how lucky or unlucky you are going to be. All you can do is work within the statistical distribution.