Need a place to fit in. Plus the tedium of teaming nowdays.

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Wolvenkrad

Need a place to fit in. Plus the tedium of teaming nowdays.

Post by Wolvenkrad » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:07 am

Heyas. Been playing AO for a while, since 2008 and I haven't even gotten the chance to get past level 50. Why? It's just that most of the time I cant find a team at ToTW or even the Subway, it's a rarity and I cherish the moment when I do, teams seem like a dying commodity. I miss the days where 3 full teams or more would compete for kills and loot in the Subway or ToTW, now though? The Subway is as empty as the day it was abandoned and the sands of Tir and the Temple are as unforgiving as the barren landscape.

When I do find a team, it's mostly just one person who is lower or same level as you are and a Atrox Enforcer twink with a Nelebs Rod that bashes things in the face for a 1-hit kill and runs off without a trace. The loot is nice, but I miss actually having to work for my rewards, most I do of that is when I play solo and it's just plain, damn boring. But mostly all the good teams reside in orgs, I have joined a few only to find that they are hardly active, being that their record for most people online was 8 players or they just give you 10 million credits and a full set of carb and boot you away.

Simply put, I just want a org that I can fit into, one that has good teams that don't make you feel weedy, underpowered and overwhelmed and give you help when it's needed, now this doesn't relinquish the fact that members have other things to do, but you get my point. And even some people to chat to, and make playing Anarchy Online a little less boring and tedious. And that's exactly why I haven't been able to reach 50, nobody to talk to, inactivity and just annoying teams without a sense of co-operation who just run off and kill and the person who gets the loot is the one who spams the RMB an abysmal amount of times.

Sorry that you had to read my "grandpa style" rant, but I had to say it. 4 years of being quiet about such matters does this to ya. But if you object, I understand. I'm not giving AO any stick, I love AO, I love to come back and see the great (otherwise half-dead) community. But I appreciate all those who read this and can see my point of view. Maybe even help.

Cheers, and have a wonderful 2012.

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi,

You're comments are not unique. The problem is that many people who face the same problem as you often opt to get power leveled to a place where their are more players of a given level range within their org or among their friends, which doesn't seem to jive with your general philosophy. The basic problem is the overall decline of the AO population as a whole. The problem may be further compounded by your faction, the level range of your characters, your server, and your timezone.

For orgs to you, it would probably be good to specify the above details and maybe someone could provide some input as to which org you might be interested in. I'm guessing that you're not interested in PvP (as you mentioned leveling, teaming and dungeons in your OP), but that would eliminate a group of orgs from your list, as many are geared specifically toward PvP. Of the ones that remain, you can look through orgs that are advertising that they are recruiting off the Alantean or Rimor Recruitment forums from the official forums.

The difficulty is (as it is in my org) depending on the level of your characters, you may be the only active player in that level range within the org. Because of the difficulty of getting teams, FC has provided Daily Missions to help players quickly blaze from level 1 to 100. From level 50 to 100 you should be able to get 2 to 3 levels per day from daily missions alone.

AO is a fascinating and challenging game, but just not attracting and retaining players. Part of the problem is that players have shorter and shorter attention spans, and catering to those players results in "simplifying" the game which is annoying to those of us that enjoy the challenge as it is.

Good luck on your search for a good org. It was what made the difference that kept me playing for as long as I've been playing (actually since around 2008 just like you).

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 pm

It also doesn't help that those with the expansions also tend to level in SL..

What faction and server are you?
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Wolvenkrad

Post by Wolvenkrad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 am

I'm in RK1, been in there for a while now, and I'm a part of the Clans, been OT for 3 and a half years of my total playtime and I can safely say that Rome is a total ghost city.

I really hope that AO's team in FunCom with the new team members try to do something about this, about returning AO to it's former glory. I don't know what I would play if AO finally shut-down. Honestly.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:04 am

Can't help you then I'm afraid, I'm Dim2... :D
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Tazerman

Post by Tazerman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:08 am

Well from what I've seen of the active orgs I think

Clan Mercury Dragons
Neutral Torchwood The defiant
Omni Primal Evolution

I think those are some of the best orgs on those sides /tell tazerman in-game I'd love to try to help or something ;-)
Tazerman 200/00

Chopz

Re: Need a place to fit in. Plus the tedium of teaming nowda

Post by Chopz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:00 am

"level 50" Wow. I just finished my 4th fr00b in a week to 60. 2 are decent ToTW toons, although not twinks. I have a few toons trying different combinations for the fun of it. Have played AO since Beta- watched 9/11 while @ the Athen Whompah! Been gone and back- I agree with Rome being ghost city- strange to be sure as RBB gets crowded once in awhile. Subways (all 3) and ToTW have spurts. I completely enjoy the game. Highest toon is 220/21.
Was on RK2 for a long time- decent. RK1 seems more sporadic, but then when it hops, it hops. I enjoy n00b-Island a few hours every week and constantly re-roll new toons to try different arrangements. The game is truly awesome- sure many things "could" be different but the aren't. Orgs make a huge difference. I am in a couple- spend as much time with non-org solo as in the org.
Want to go to 60? Post your in-game name, I'll be glad to help you- (for a few weeks then that toon levels up)
Above ALL- a game, have fun. :mrgreen:

Llie
AOU Content Editor

Post by Llie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:02 pm

I just reread the OP and I have a few additional comments.

My org isn't super active. There are between 1-8 people on line at any given moment with 1-3 people in the guest channel. I'm assuming that Wolvenkrad is a Froob like I am currently, so instead of Mercury Dragons, he should look at Mercury Dragons Academy. They often have a recruiter parked outside the Subway in West Athen giving away backpacks with med-suits and other low level useful gadgets.

Ok, so there is a complication I realized in my assertion about joining an "active-ish" org. I realize now that it may solve your leveling problem, but not your desire for "good game play". For instance, let's say you find me in Old Athen and join my org, and you log on and say, "Hey, I'm in ToTW anyone want to join me?" Then a couple of org-mates will answer, "Sure!" And we'll all log our ToTW Twinks, arrive at ToTW, team with you and 1-2 hit kill everything with the exception of the bosses.

If you're lucky, you will join an org where there happens to be either a few current or newly joined member or members also leveling a character right around the same level as you. Then you will be able to experience the content the way it was meant to be played.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to suggest. A few TL 2 people joined and left our org recently due to the above scenario. There's plenty of org help available, but when looking for a fun team experience, it really depends on what other players happen to be in the org and due to population declines it is difficult to find other people in the same "character life stage" as you to do content.

As before, good luck. If you are interested in checking our Barador Arin, look for us hanging around Old Athen on the grass facing the first basic shop by the Athen West gate. If for nothing else, we got people to chat with, get advice from, and power level you... :|

Sentinent

Post by Sentinent » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Chopz wrote:"level 50" Wow. I just finished my 4th fr00b in a week to 60. 2 are decent ToTW toons, although not twinks. I have a few toons trying different combinations for the fun of it. Have played AO since Beta- watched 9/11 while @ the Athen Whompah! Been gone and back- I agree with Rome being ghost city- strange to be sure as RBB gets crowded once in awhile. Subways (all 3) and ToTW have spurts. I completely enjoy the game. Highest toon is 220/21.
Was on RK2 for a long time- decent. RK1 seems more sporadic, but then when it hops, it hops. I enjoy n00b-Island a few hours every week and constantly re-roll new toons to try different arrangements. The game is truly awesome- sure many things "could" be different but the aren't. Orgs make a huge difference. I am in a couple- spend as much time with non-org solo as in the org.
Want to go to 60? Post your in-game name, I'll be glad to help you- (for a few weeks then that toon levels up)
Above ALL- a game, have fun. :mrgreen:

You are awesome 8)

enlo

Post by enlo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Sentinent wrote:
Chopz wrote:watched 9/11 while @ the Athen Whompah!
That was the time when the OOC channels started glowing red... and all americans were like "waaah we gonna go to war!" and all europeans were like "don't be silly, you don't just start a war because of some few crazies"... well, we now know how the story ended...

back to topic: yup, It's kinda boring being alone in AO / being in a dead org.
I guess the teaming system is useless below a certain level (because people simply forget to use it), using the ooc channels seems to be more efficient.

Calli

Post by Calli » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Just wanted to clarify that YES Mercury Dragons Academy is super froob friendly... Our MD members do have lower lvl alt/twinks in there as well and both orgs usually connected by bot for org chat ..We have teams/raids usually going in both orgs depending on time of day. We have people from lots of different time zones so seems to be working out. You will usually find us hanging out in the grass across from Clan Agency in OA which we call our Org spot.. We also frequently have anywhere from 5-9 people hanging with us in AO Speak (unofficial TS3 server) We have alot of people that have joined up with us cause of the laughs and fun we have there...:) Yes they are always picking on Calli LOL........I usually have Mdacallie sitting by org spot so you can always send a tell... if I don't respond right away I'm on a alt but a call out to Calli in OOC will get my attn too!!! Looking for mature acting,fun, drama free active peeps if it sounds like you then come say Hi whether its in game or team speak or apply at our forum :)

Calli
http://mercury-dragons.org/