AI DM: A-Pods - impossible?

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

enlo

AI DM: A-Pods - impossible?

Post by enlo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:54 pm

I recently reached lvl 200 and now get a different set of daily missions... one of those is the alien daily "A-Pods!" where you have to kill two Alien Pods in Perpetual Wastelands.

I tried it several times (as a MA) and failed horribly.
Am I too stupid or is this mission simply impossible at that level when you do not have any roots or calms?

Whats the point in having such a hard daily mission!

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:02 pm

I haven't heard of this one yet, hopefully someone else has info :)

enlo

Post by enlo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:59 pm

The Mission goes like this:

Faction: (at least) Clan
Level: 200+

Task: Nuke 2 Alien Pods in Perpetual Wasteland. You get an Item for that, which is usable as soon as the Alien Pod is below 80% health.
Stand back (about 50m) after you started the nuke (by rightclicking the item in the inventory) since the nuke is devastating and has quite a big area.

The catch: The Pods are orange when you're level 200 and they spawn two "Alien Spawns" which hit like hell (1-2k). They kill me in under 10seconds.
The Pod itself can cast a reflect shield nano.

enlo

Post by enlo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:09 pm

To all desperate 200ish which are not strong enough to solve this mission.

a) the A-Pods have different Levels, between 200 to at least 215, the difference is huge!
b) if you're camping and some meanie from the other fraction tries to steal your A-Pod, shout him a big "thank you" while you wait for the A-Pod's life to drop below 80%... and hit it with your nuke!

It seems like it's possible that multiple players can nuke the same target and actually get a mission update. Some people even claim that you can nuke the remains of a dead A-Pod.

Sooo just wait for a stronger player and nuke his A-Pod :shock:

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:50 pm

That most definitely does not sound like a "working as intended" mechanic. It seems that several of the new alien dailies are a bit overpowered and requiring you to team with someone else, which defeats the entire purpose of regular dailies. Hopefully they balance it out :)

enlo

Post by enlo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:22 pm

btw if you want to do any tutorial or whatever, here is the missin description
A-Pods!
Description:
A-Pods!

Alien pods, used to transport alien spawns, have landed on Rubi-Ka.
The pods constantly generate fresh aliens, so watch out for an ambush.

Use the Agency Laser Tagging Device to destroy the pods.

You're commissioned to destroy two alien pods.
the alien pod will spawn two more "Alien Spawns" if you kill one, so don't even try it.

Antimony

Post by Antimony » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:29 am

Yes, A-pods is just not good for melee toons:

My 220 Shade can do it, but I probably still die at the end.

1. The 2 spawns don't hurt THAT much, but you can't kill them because substitutes will immediately spawn in their place.

2. Once the A-pod hits 80%, it also triggers a bio-dome type 1000 HP damage shield - so you have to stop attacking immediately. Problem is, once you stop attacking, the A-pod heals itself above 80% very, very quickly!

3. When you finally laser-tag the A-pod, it is very difficult for a melee to get out of the orbital strike blast radius - but it can be done, if you are quick.

4. Here is what kills me in the end (probably a bug):
I'm out of the blast radius, the A-pod is down, the mission updates, yet I still take another 8K nuke from the A-pod (not the orbital strike!) when it dies - I never seem to be able to get far away from that fast enough.

FYI - mission can be done much easier on my Crat (calm adds, attack A-pod from far away, tag it at 80%, and run even further - done).