Making a free account, question

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Darkhan

Making a free account, question

Post by Darkhan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 am

Is it possible, say making your main with a free account, then upgrading it later with all the expansions..after 1 month, does this have any negative effects?

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:03 am

That's what a lot of people do, actually.

While they don't have perks or research lines, you can still play the entire original game and Notum Wars. If you stick around long enough to get through the original game and enjoy it, upgrading to the rest just makes it even better.

Darkhan

Post by Darkhan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:38 am

Alright, but are there low lvl zones in the new expansions?

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:37 pm

There are low level zones, but I'd still suggest starting on the newbie island, it's impossible to get on there once you're off it, and there's a couple of nice items you'd probably want.
You can enter the SL startup area anywhere up to level 50.

The only downside to not starting with the expansions is that you won't have any AI levels, but you can get them other ways.

To be honest, I think paying the subs is worth it JUST for the Perks you get let alone all the nice equipment.
But starting as a fr00b is a good idea cos I reckon you waste your first months money by getting to know the game, after that you're away...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Darkhan

Post by Darkhan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Thx, you get perks already at what, 20? If you subscribe? I want a game I can go on and off, seeing that swtor comes, but I have my doubts. Played AO before shadowlands, really liked it, but was so high ranked in daoc that I never got the time to get past lvl 80

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:08 pm

SL perks are every 10 levels until 200, and then every level from 201-220. AI perks are every AI level and there are 30 in total. You also have Lost Eden research lines which there are 7 of, each with 10 boosts in them (these technically take the longest to get if you don't start early, and even then... since you have to dedicate a percentage of your normal xp or sk (after 200) to them).

Darkhan

Post by Darkhan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Do they make a big difference in pvp at early lvls? The SL perks, AI for that matter as well, if u get em early on

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:23 pm

The SL perks aren't as important for a fixer, but the AI ones are. SL ones early on raise your agility and evades, SMG and burst. Which of course are always good. One of the first AI ones you get though is Dark Kin, it's a really really really good extra attack that does a lot of damage at low levels. You can pretty much take down reds with it no problem, though the damage cap for PvP might hinder it some.

Also as a Froob, you wouldn't have access to battle stations, which is where almost all of the PvP is now.

Darkhan

Post by Darkhan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Screw it, would rather go full out:)
I made a trader years back in the 20's, loved it even if he was super low, had a 70+ agent, wrong choice for a beginner;p
My friend rolled a fixer, looked super fun, so dunno, fixer or trader.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Fixers IMO are far more easy to solo with if you are starting out fresh and don't have an org or a group of friends lined up to join with. When you do get an org, try to find one that has the sauna in their org city, it's a 5 hour 5% XP boost you can get whenever ;) If you're going with the whole upgraded and all that, of course.

Darkhan

Post by Darkhan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Alright, but does trader drains get much resisted or whatever at late lvls

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Honestly, in 10 years, I've never once played a trader :oops:

Darkhan

Post by Darkhan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Oh my;p

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 am

Darkhan wrote:Alright, but does trader drains get much resisted or whatever at late lvls
not really. it's weird tho, I get more resistance from mobs lower level, hardly any on the mobs higher level. It all depends which drains I am using. If the QL level of the drain I'm using is around the same as the QL of the Mob, little resistance if any.
That's just my experience, others may be different.

I'm just playing Froob this time around, so not sure what the drains are like in SL mobs. I miss AI and SL weapons :cry: I hate RK weapons, but as a froob that is the only choice.

I'm finding playing a Trader as a Froob above level 50 is more of a struggle then I want. If it wasn't for daily Missions or Org carrying me, my Trader would probably still be level 50.
I've never played a Fixer higher then 48, and that was a few years ago when I was paid. They are fun
This time around and me just Froobing it, I'm finding Pistol Adventurer is working out pretty good, not the best choice but the easiest for me and still enjoying the game, not getting any struggles or frustrating moments other then what I would have no matter what I played.
I'm more into Agents and Keepers, Agents are best in open environments not dungeons, and can't get a Keeper as a Froob.

Krishina

Post by Krishina » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 pm

Silvana wrote:Also as a Froob, you wouldn't have access to battle stations, which is where almost all of the PvP is now.
Actually, froobs do have access and can earn victory points. They just can't spend them. If you later upgrade though all the points you earned as a froob are still there and can be spent as normal.
Krishina: Level 100 Engineer, RK2

Looking for a toe in the AO rp door.