Whats the best way to ask for a Price check

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

xaatxuun

Whats the best way to ask for a Price check

Post by xaatxuun » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:53 am

I'm hesitate to ask on Trade. I don't want to be swamped with Whispers of offers, and I don't want to turn off whispers.

I'm probably more paranoid then I need to be about that.
I just like seeing what the general consensus of what the price would be. I cannot use the GMS to get an idea what others are selling, and that's not always a good indicator of a selling price.

Is there a private channel for Price checks ?

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:01 am

Best bet is to ask in Org chat.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

tgjensen

Post by tgjensen » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:10 am

arpa3.net is often useful, especially for nanos. Otherwise I sometimes google it to see what it's been sold for on the official forums in the past. You could also ask in org chat if you have some experienced people to draw upon. But really, you probably are too paranoid about the trade channels/OOC. I haven't really had all that many people send me tells with offers, and if they do, simply tell them you'll wait to sell it when you feel you have a good idea of the item's value.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 am

I agree about arpa3.net. It only holds information for a certain period of time, but it can be very helpful. I believe (can't hold me to it since my HD was wiped and I don't have AOIA right now) that AO Item Assistant links you to that one for price checking.

I've never been in to the trade channel game much, but for my shop that site is usually where I go to figure out some prices since sitting at a market terminal for an hour to get prices on things can be a huge pain.

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:11 am

okay looking at the website arpa3.net , and don't see any where that shows prices , Thanks for the tip to go there, it will still have some uses.

my Google-fu is not that good, can you give me an example How I would type in what I'm searching ?

But I will use arpa3.net to get an idea what I can sell at my level(s). Some things I just don't know, I have a couple times posted something in Trade just to ask if it is NPC food or sale-able on the market. I've gotten a little less shy using it.
also learned just use the 11-xx (forgot what it was) channel, and since I'm neut, post in Omni & Clan (pretty much knew about that part).

As for the Org, well I'm in a small org, Normally the vets are on, but seems everyone is on a break or sick the past couple weeks. So really had no one to go to all the time to ask.

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:53 am

Well the Market Watch pages there are the closest you're going to get to having a list of how much nanos and IDs are worth because values go up and down so often.

The only other thing you can do besides ask, is check the GMS individually item by item.

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 am

yeah but I can't check the GMS . . all I see is "loading data" . . figured it was because I'm now a Froob and Froobs can't use GMS.
once I waited for about 20minutes of this "Loading data" and nothing so tried it again but after about 10 minutes I said guess I can't use GMS

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:21 am

You can buy access to it pretty cheaply for the whole account. I don't remember how much, but it isn't a lot. Can be one of those really useful things for a froob if you like to play the market.

StuMiller

Post by StuMiller » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:06 pm

I thought for the $5.00 cost fr00bs got access to the mail system only. If they also get the GMS that's actually a super deal.
RK2 / Neutral / Unrepentant

Silvana
AOU Site Manager

Post by Silvana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:16 pm

That's two different systems that are independent of one another, buying one doesn't give the other.