Newbie question about the fixer being overpowered

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

xyz123abc

Post by xyz123abc » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:59 pm

I know all professions shine at certain levels

But a level 24 fixer with GA and showerhead is unstoppable. If it shows up, the fun is over :(

Weeping Willow

Post by Weeping Willow » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:28 am

xyz123abc wrote:I know all professions shine at certain levels

But a level 24 fixer with GA and showerhead is unstoppable. If it shows up, the fun is over :(
oh yeah ... like the fixer will do something against a trader ...

xyz123abc

Post by xyz123abc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Well, it would be interesting to see that duel. I wish i could find a youtube of it :) The deprive skills has these checks:

Attack skills
Time and space 50 %
Psychological modifications 50 %

Defense skills
Nano resist 100 %

and GA1 gives nano resist (50), though only half than other evades (100). Ransack will be harder to land than deprive. The trader has to ladder transfers first, right? Also, a rascal fixer was planning to rerrol as a 1 stamina toon. He said that damage was capped at 25% in pvp and that a regular stim would heal him 100%, not to mention the short and long healings over time :(

Moreover, I would expect the fixer to perform better in battlestations, towers and in PVM. Traders can win one on one, but that just covers duels.

Now that you mentioned it, traders and MP perform bad in the higher end :( They should fix that with rebalance. Trim the OP and empower the weak (sorry for raving )

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:29 pm

Ok thought I'd way in on this as im a big fixer fan.

There is often a lot of misinformation on the strength of a fixer, people see the highish evades and such and scream nerf, but incorrectly so.

So first the points brought up in the original post:

HoTs: Overpowered or not?

Ok so we see fixers get 2 hot lines, one that they can keep on permenately and one that they can't.

The long hot lasts only 15 minutes till later levels (where it eventually lasts for an hour or two for the end game one) during this period it heals a set amount every 10 seconds. Now that may seem like a lot but lots of stuff can happen in 10 seconds and due to the level lock if your self buffing only the long hots do nothing to aggressively heal damage, they at best lower your downtime by making you not have to sit around using med kits AFTER the fight as much.

The short hots are the main fixer healing long hots can for a long time be out healed for a long time with just the generic heal nano (which can come out at 20hp/s on average if you don't mind spamming) where as the short hots tick fast enough to heal when you need it, they can get a fixer at 50% hp back to full in their duration even in the midst of combat (unless the fixer gets unlucky).

however this is countered by there low duration meaning that your not going to have it on through out the entire battle unless your twinked and the high nano cost. 2 casts and thats it, the fixers out of nano for the rest of the fight, we could invest in nano stims and at later levels nano regain perks but we need all the IP and perks we can to keep our defense and offense at a usable level.

The short hot comes out comparable to other peoples limited duration big defenses but with the downside that its reactive (tms could be seen as a big heal as it removes a large % of damage but it does that BEFORE the damage happens, this has to heal damage thats already happened) and again there not as effective as an actual direct heal from someone like a doc/advy/martial artist/trader.

2: Grid armour? ZOMG WTFBBQ!

Grid armour, the curse and boon of the fixer class, on rubi-ka this can make you a god or an easy target.

The costs it takes to get this (both credit/time AND IP wise) puts a lot of fixers off this, add to the fact that its AC's are abysmal for the levels it can be used is another fact.

If a fixer in GA is beating a soldiers AC's then the soldier needs to get out of that darn med suit and put some armour on, the top GA will give 2k AC's the level you can realistically use that without a lot of twinking any character would be looking at getting around 1k ac per PIECE of armour there wearing, and non GA users can use 10 actual armour slots. A GA fixer can only use at most 2 (backslot for GA and head slot for a skinchip).

Granted thats not what's nice about GA, what GA's real strength is is its AAD that helps maximise fixers already well templated evades. However to fully maximise this fixers HAVE to run in full defense, if they dont then most of the defense goes to waste.

Most other classes can get to a similiar defense in total (with all the different defenses available) and still be able to stay full agg, making them a lot better offensively compared to fixers.

A soldiers defense is overall a lot better than fixers, its more reliable and not subject to luck rolls and its active not reactive.

3. Buffs.

Fixers are meant to be THE fastest profession in the game, its been that way since the beginning, if you dont think the speed class is meant to be speedy then thats your own fault, however this falls down when it comes out that fixers are barely the 4th fastest profession self buffed.

Enforcers are actually the fastest profession at the moment, followed by adventurers and agents, that is why come rebalance fixers are going to have the highest speed cap compared to others to make sure there back in top spot.

Roots are iffy, other classes get them and infact fixers are fairly poor at rooting, its duration isnt as long as others and it breaks often (as fixers tend to be low damage high rate attackers) our snares are considerably better but they still break. And then comes the nano cost, throwing out too many roots/snares and the fixer can no longer use any thing else. Result is mob breaks free once again and smacks the fixer to death due to inability to cast emergency hots or root/snare again, other classes can make much more use out of such mechanics (though snare+kite+pnh for fixers in the open takes some beating)

Weapons buff, yes fixers can buff there smg by 201, soldiers can buff there assault rifle by 275 and most other ranged weapon skills by well over 200 as well, learn your nanos before you complain about other "speciliazed weapons" classes getting a better buff than you.

You are good in all weapon skills but a fixer is only good at 1, why you think this means he should be LESS good than you I dont know, in my eyes its a clear reason why you shouldn't even touch them in that respect.

Fixers can get a +40 damage buff from one of the rarest nanos in the game, plus a little more from bits in their weapon buffs.

Soldiers can get upto 107 damage buff plus a selection of AAO buffs that stack with it, once again please actually check your nanos before complaining.

4. Gridding

Doctors, traders, nt's can all grid themselve/teams and everyone now has access to buying instant grid devices, making fixers only specialized gridding in combat. Woop de do, we can run away!

5. Evades.

Evades are one of the most overestimated mechanics in the game, people see that they are missing shots and think the enemy is overpowered, regardless of the fact that they've still done more damage to the evader than the evader has to them.

Evades are only any good if you can get them extremely high, they need to be well above other peoples weapon skills before they do ANYTHING, and weapon skills are rather easy to raise. Once you are there your still at the mercy of luck, it only takes a couple of lucky dice roll for the enemy to hit you repeatedly (granted at end game with all defense buffs on against a low AR opponent you'd have to be the incarnate of bad luck for this to happen)

Add to that evades are THE EASIEST defense to bypass in the game, every single profession has some method that would allow them to completely ignore evades, once they do that what's a fixer got left? A small amount of healing (at higher levels hots just don't keep up at all) and the ability to run away.

Compared to reflects which are basically the best defence measure in the game that can only currently be bypassed by a few professions rarely.

Anyone with aimed shot can cap a fixer reliably every 11 seconds in general, that means at the very worst you need 44 seconds to kill a fixer (33 if you open with AS), melee class get a sneak attack that does the same thing but much lower rate, anyone with an offensive nuke has no issue against fixers (fixers get very little nano resist even with the small amounts from grid armour and we cannot really utilize NR perks as we rely on nanos for basically all our offense and defense.)

Those that dont specialize in any of them can roll atrox and use mongo rage that allows them a window to alpha where they ignore fixer defenses, this can infact be used in conjunction with the rest of the stuff that ignore the evades. And if by chance your not an atrox and not using a high AR, AS or nuke profession then your basically another fixer, at which point its who ever can run away first.

In general fixers are immune to casual damage, you probably wont kill a fixer if you just tab+q them, however any sort of focused offense WILL kill a fixer, it may take a bit if your melee based but theres very few people that can't kill a fixer. Add to that fixers offense is fairly low AND back fires on them (seriously... taking more damage than im hitting for in an unavoidable fashion sucks, damage shields and reflects ignore evades and attack as fast as the fixer does).

Fixers in GA can be gods in RK pvm as long as they twinked and outside buff for it, in pvp they only have brief periods of effectiveness that can be negated by smart usage of abilities by other people.

In the fight vs the trader the trader will almost certainly win, specially if the fixer is in GA as the first drains will remove their entire defence, at higher levels or vs armoured fixers its closer and depends if the fixer lands his own 750 skill drain on the trader before the trader shuts down all the fixers nano casting. Still trader will win more time than not.

xyz123abc

Post by xyz123abc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes, I was talking about this "Fixers in GA can be gods in RK pvm as long as they twinked and outside buff for it..."

One good piece of posting, Casorinth, it was worth every of the five minutes it took me to read :shock: Post it in the rebalance thread in the official forums if you can but haven't :twisted:

Casorinth

Post by Casorinth » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Oh I've said my piece many many times with regard to FC's removal of fixers in rebalance but nothing has changed :P

I remember fondly my days of taking out 200+ PW dyna's on my level 150 fixer in ga 4 >< those where the days, granted I needed behemoth and pnh to have a hope and every time they wore off it was back to town but t'was good.

Then of course I'd go against a single caster mob who would pwn me in 1 cast ><.