New player trying to decide server/side

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Ljungen

New player trying to decide server/side

Post by Ljungen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Hello all!

My name is Ljungen and I am a new player to Anarchy Online.
I decided to buy all expansions etc right away so that I can get the complete experience from day 1.

Now I am just trying to decide what server and what side I should choose to take my first steps on.

How is population on the both servers?
How is the ratio between the different sides?

I am not gonna roll a char for another couple of hours because I am still reading up on the lore and all the expansions etc to get a good feeling before I start my journey.

Ps. If you have any tips on threads/links I should read up on (except the Knowledge base on this site which I think is awesome) I would be really greatfull.
Especially how to make some credits in the early game because for what I understand so far items are quite expensive in the shops.

Oh, I am gonna play an Agent aswell (love snipers).

Best regards
Ljungen
Ljungman - 8/2 Adventurer
Silga - 21/2 Engineer
Seroi - 21/2 Martial Artist

Weeping Willow

Post by Weeping Willow » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:45 pm

I would advise you to stay neutral to decide later.
On RK1, clans have clearly the upper hand at high level in term of PvP (mostly important if you plan to pvp, or if you are interested in tower bonus and/or tarrasque loot accessibility)

Cant comment on RK1 vs RK2 tbh.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 am

If this is your first character, I STRONGLY urge you not to go Agent, it's not an easy class to play.
I'd advise everyone to start with a Martial Artist character, basically, you can learn the game without having to worry about weapons and upgrading them regularly, leaving you more free to learn other things.
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!

Ljungen

Post by Ljungen » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 pm

Alright I started out as a MA like u suggested to try and learn the game.
Now the next question I have at the moment is:

Should I level through missions/SL/Subway/other now in the beginning?
I did the newbie island up to 10, doing all the quests and 2 AI levels as I have read.

It is after this that I am not clear with so far.
Fr00b accounts level through Subway/missions to my understanding and SL give more exp but not as much credits?

Edit: Another question.
Is the weapons u loot from the aliens in newbie island worth anything?
Silga - 21/2 Engineer

Krishina

Post by Krishina » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Subways, or if you're paid maybe check the Jobe training area.
Krishina: Level 100 Engineer, RK2

Looking for a toe in the AO rp door.

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:49 pm

RK missions give side tokens which go to your token board (which is nice), SL does give more XP but the mobs are harder and smarter, Subway will teach you to avoid trains and teamwork (assuming you get in a team).
So there's reasons for doing all 3, but be aware that there's a level cap in the subway of 25 (I think it is now) so you'll want to do the subway earlyish on.
Missions give credits from corpses, mission reward and also the items you pick up when you sell them to a shop terminal.
As far as I know, the AI weps you pick up on the island are only good for very low lvl twinks, so probably not unless you find someone that's making one of those.

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 pm

from what I was told in the Game, only the QL16 AI weapons from the Island are worth anything, and as Snakebite mention, it's only to a certain crowd, Some of the QL15's have some worth. The rest . :? , well it's as you see them worth to you.

Personally I would want any AI or SL weapon then any RK weapon.

You may want to explore all of it. do a little bit here a little bit there, find where you like the most. Then when and if you decide to create another character you'll have a better idea where you want to play the most. Some players like SL more then RK, while others are just the opposite. You could spend your entire leveling time in one place or the other, from start to cap.

There is always something from RK or SL you'll want so chances you'll be playing both any ways, but more likely more in one area then the other.

Ljungen

Post by Ljungen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks for all the great tips.

I have been doing some SL quests, running some missions and am now gonna go check out Subway alittle more.

I have read on numerous guides that a good way to make money is to farm and sell Concrete Chushions.
Though all these guides are several years old so is it still worth it and how much do they sell for?

Oh btw. I landed on RK1 :)
Silga - 21/2 Engineer

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:40 am

I used to sell CCs, but that was a LONG time ago, not a clue how they sell now.
Also the +5 int pistols (can't remember their name but might be Old English Trading Co ones) and also selling Omni Med Suits to Clanners.

Krishina

Post by Krishina » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:06 am

Yes, Old English Trading Co. And CC are still worth a decent amount but don't sell well. You're better off grabbing two sets (one for yourself and one to sell) and stashing them in your bank, then keeping an eye out for people wanting to buy them in trade channels.
Krishina: Level 100 Engineer, RK2

Looking for a toe in the AO rp door.

xaatxuun

Post by xaatxuun » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:52 pm

a Tsakachumi PTO-HV Counter-Sniper Rifle is good too, a QL1 is probably worth more then a QL39. Reason, it gives the same Modifier , so the lower the QL the better.
QL40+ I seen sell as low as 4 mil. a +20 Agility is nice

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 am

If you're gonna farm CCs and OET pistols, your best bet is to create a farming fr00b account.

You want a lvl15 character to farm lvl10 CCs (that's as low as they go and lvl15 can still roll a lvl10 mission) and a lvl2 character to farm lvl1 OETs...

Ljungen

Post by Ljungen » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:18 am

I have been blitzing missions for a couple of hours now.
Good and fast money actually.

I get 5 missions that are as hard as I can survive then just run through them.
Managed to get me a set of QL50 store implants as lvl21 :)
Silga - 21/2 Engineer

Ljungen

Post by Ljungen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Farmed some cc and sold them in pairs for 500k.
Very nice way to earn cash as low lvl player.

I have also started an Adventurer that I keep as a CC farmbot and I have started an Engineer so that I can craft armor (did it after asking in OOC for a couple of hours for someone that can craft).

All in all I am enjoying the game alot.
Only downside is that it?é??s a ghost town in Omni Trade/Emt/Rome.
Can imagine how it was in it's peak with houndreds of players running around.
Silga - 21/2 Engineer

haliy3467

Post by haliy3467 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:45 am

Ljungen wrote:Only downside is that it?é??s a ghost town in Omni Trade/Emt/Rome. Can imagine how it was in it's peak with houndreds of players running around.
Everyone would be caming around in ent between the 2 wompas and at the mish terminals getting ready to pull missions for their teams or yelling out their level and lfg. From there the higher level crowds would migrate to borialis to camp out on top of rooftops trying to get away from everyone trying to ask for buffs.

Me playing an agent would always find myself in ruse 3 hiding inside a bronto burger while looking for a group