Get your chat colors fixed today! Get AOcrayon!

AO is the main topic, but you can also talk about things like the latest console game you've played, web comics, movies, music, etc. as they pertain to your AO experience.

Moderators: AOU Team, Forum Moderators, Site Managers

Mawerick

Get your chat colors fixed today! Get AOcrayon!

Post by Mawerick » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:28 pm

AOcrayon is a third-party tool that was made with the intent to help players of Anarchy Online change their base chat text colors easily, without mucking about with complex xml file editing.

Note: This changes only what you see, it has no impact on anyone else.

Special thanks to Oofbig for coming up with the cool name :D

Latest version: 0.3

16.2 Compatible!

Features:
  • Change your chat colors to whatever you want them to be.
  • Advanced mode for changing any color listed in the ChatColors.xml file.
  • Doesn't do anything to your output, so don't worry about someone else being annoyed with your changes.
  • ChatColors.xml file from 16.2 bundled with the program.

Get it at: http://www.wrongplace.net

If you have changed your chatcolors before 16.2 (with AOcrayon or otherwise), do the following to fix your NPC chat:
  • Start AOcrayon (and select the AO install directory if asked).
  • Switch to the "Settings" tab.
  • Click "Restore original data from bundled file".
  • Confirm the reload.
  • Switch back to the "Chat Colors" tab and make your changes.
Hope you like it :)

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:18 am

This advert brought to you by... :lol:

Nice item tho, well done! ^^

joey12344

Post by joey12344 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:09 pm

Nice work ill try this thing :D was looking for a decent one for ages
Good work

AngelTee

Re: Get your chat colors fixed today! Get AOcrayon!

Post by AngelTee » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:49 pm

The website given in the OP is now a Malicious Link. Please remove.

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:25 pm

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the website. Most security checks also don't report anything suspicious on that website.

The reports I found say it's spreading malicius software, but no further information is given.
Seeing as there are no external connections being made when visiting that website, I'm not sure those reports hold up.
Maybe they have scanned the files you can download there, but since the report says nothing about what the problem on the website should be, I'm not really looking to remove it.

In personal experience with clients, Norton seems to detect things often for whatever reason (they don't tell you the exact problem), and it stays flagged forever unless you (as site owner) request a removal. It might be a false positive and if no one requests it to be re-checked, it just stays as flagged.
So that one positive just from Norton (which might very well be a false positive) is not enough reason for me to remove the page from the list.

AngelTee

Post by AngelTee » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:48 am

NP, I went a bit deeper. Seems bots are the issue.

This explains what a botnet is

What is a Botnet in Cyber Security?
Botnets are networks of hijacked devices infected by a common type of malware and used by malicious actors to automate widespread scams and massive cyberattacks. Each individual device on a botnet is known as a “bot” or a “zombie,” and the malicious actor behind each botnet is called a “bot-herder.”

Infected devices, or bots, can include personal computers, servers, mobile devices, and Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Today, most botnets have millions of bots under the control of a single bot-herder, enabling them to perform large-scale attacks from one central point.

Khuri
AOU Programmer/Coder

Post by Khuri » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:52 am

Yes, and I don't see this website in particular as a risk on that end.

Part of a botnet is not a website, but the (web-)server behind it.
If you look up the IP of wrongplace.net and make a reverse check, you'll find that there may have been more than a thousand websites/domains in the past that have used that one IP address.

Now I don't know how Norton does their detection, but if they flag problematic servers just by IP (as usually is the case in terms of blacklisting something), than any of those thousand websites might've been the problem root, but all other websites that happen to share this IP from this server are then also blacklisted.
This is a very common issue with shared webhosting. You may have one hacked website for example sending spam mails, and as the webserver that this spammer resides on gets flagged for spamming, any other service/website that runs on that same server might now be flagged as well, even if they've never done anything wrong, or there being no problem from their end.

From past personal experience with Norton and blacklistings in general, most services do not automatically remove flags, unless someone sends in a review.
There's many other services you can check the site with that report this website is clean.

As you can hopefully see I'm taking your report seriously and have invested time in checking it myself.
I appreciate you bringing it up, but my decision is to keep the website listed with us.

Seeing as the last news on wrongplace.net is from 2015, the owner may never even have noticed the flagging of their domain by services like Norton, and thus never requested a recheck/delisting.

The most trouble I see in the source code of the website itself right now is that it has a script error and loads a non-existing image file on the banner (on the right) which is then replaced via script with another image.

Granted I can not garantuee 100% that there's no malicious code in the website, or more particular the files you can download from it, but any decent anti virus should check that when you do download something.
Since the source code of the project files from the website are publicly available though I'm not very much concerned about there being a problem.

AngelTee

Post by AngelTee » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:40 pm

Okay, just wanted to bring it to your attention.

I've had different experiences with Norton, but if you feel the site is OK, then I respect your decision. :top:

Snakebite
AOU Forum Moderator

Post by Snakebite » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:16 pm

Yeah, it's beyond me, but we've had this sort of thing a few times before...
Don't make me come in there and Moderate you!